News   Jul 12, 2024
 822     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 743     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 314     0 

U of T: New Varsity Stadium (Diamond + Schmitt)

What a bunch of maroons. They put the seats facing the wrong way, thus denying (the few) fans a nice view of the city, and blow a chance to create a nice little linear park as a transition from the RCM to Varsity. U of T, you've done it again.

I don't see this as a big deal. If an appropriate proposal came around some time in the next decade they wouldn't hesitate to consider this project temporary and bull doze it again.

With regard to the orientation of the seating I assume there is some reason to put it on the east side, skyline view certainly is not and should not be one of the top priorities being considered here. The only thing I question about an exposed east side bleacher is having the sun in your eyes for evening events.

One thing they could have done is close Devonshire, reducing it to a laneway/walkway, which would give them more options with regards to where the facilities could have gone. The track itself is within metres of both Bloor and Trinity.

"Is it me or does the whole stadium complex seem temporary?"

It might as well be. Check the budget on the project -- 21.7 mil. When have you heard of a viable stadium being completed for that small an amount? As the land value rises, and U of T's sports teams continue to flounder due to the fact that no one who attends U of T cares about them, I would be shocked if this "stadium" lasted more than 15 years.

Maybe everything between the RCM and Bata should be razed so that Libeskind can build more ridiculous crap on these prime sites.

Wow, that's a pretty big swath. All the way from Philosopher's Walk to the Aga Khan site at DVP + Eg. Wonder how they'll manage that, given the geography and everything involved...

***TILT***

He said from Philosopher's Walk to the Bata Shoe Museum (St George & Bloor). Not the DVP :S

While the subject is on UofT i'd like to add that the University is currently raising money to renovate convocation hall also.

I can't help but be annoyed at these frustrated academics who squandered an opportunity to have the Millenium Group build a large scale mixed-use development here which would have incorporated a stadium. Having a playing field right on Bloor is a total waste of real estate - as far as I'm concerned UofT is throwing away millions of dollars.

Of course they're throwing away millions of dollars...it's
U of T!

thus denying (the few) fans a nice view of the city,

Presumably the fans (however many) are there to view the game, not the city. Or else, to paraphrase Edward VII, why are they there at all?

If U of T'ers want to see the skyline, they go to the Robarts stacks and find a free window nook somewhere above the 8th floor.

While the subject is on UofT i'd like to add that the University is currently raising money to renovate convocation hall also.

And doesn't everybody on their alumni call centre phone list know it.

Back