News   Jul 12, 2024
 825     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 746     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 314     0 

U of T: New Varsity Stadium (Diamond + Schmitt)

That is a really old rendering of the initial Varsity Centre proposal - and I think it was voted down by the students, hence the current version.

AoD

From today.

Sunday%20March%2016%20005.jpg

Sunday%20March%2016%20006.jpg

Sunday%20March%2016%20007.jpg

It also seems like some preliminary site prep is going on across the street. Could this be the beginnings of the future Varsity Centre?

Mods: If you wish to start a new thread for this please do. I could not find one using the search feature.

Sunday%20March%2016%20003.jpg

Will it also take over this adjacent parking lot?

Sunday%20March%2016%20004.jpg

It also seems like some preliminary site prep is going on across the street. Could this be the beginnings of the future Varsity Centre?

Will it also take over this adjacent parking lot?

The new U of T student commons is supposed to go here as well.

I thought the adjacent lot was for future Rotman expansion for executive programs?

No, the Rotman parking lot is on St George street

I'm kinda disappointed that this new building ruins the expansive view of the downtown skyline from Bloor. That was one of the best ground-level places for viewing the skyline in downtown....all of this for an entrance pavillian and a few locker rooms...what is wrong with the entrances from Bloor and Philosophers walk to need a grand new one from Devonshire?, and aren't there already change rooms in the just completed stadium and attached arena? I'd prefer to see Trinity college in the distance from Bloor rather than this thing, which will end up looking more like the Athletic Centre on Spadina IMO.

I'm kinda disappointed that this new building ruins the expansive view of the downtown skyline from Bloor. That was one of the best ground-level places for viewing the skyline in downtown....all of this for an entrance pavillian and a few locker rooms...what is wrong with the entrances from Bloor and Philosophers walk to need a grand new one from Devonshire?, and aren't there already change rooms in the just completed stadium and attached arena? I'd prefer to see Trinity college in the distance from Bloor rather than this thing, which will end up looking more like the Athletic Centre on Spadina IMO.

this doesn't ruin the view. if you've walked down bloor lately, you can still see the skyline.

i don't understand how you can say this blocks the expanding skyline when most of the buildings i'm sure you are referring to are far from being complete. shangri-la, the ritz, bell lightbox, 300 front, signature tower...all of these will be visible.

u of t rarely lets me down. it's campus is tremendous and the school boasts some of the cities most beautiful architecture.

This should be completely finished in about a month, as the U of T is hosting an international track & field event in mid-June. Usain Bolt will be there.

this doesn't ruin the view. if you've walked down bloor lately, you can still see the skyline.

You may still be able to see the CBD, but I agree with ponyboy. The view has been ruined. It was a great vantage point with the football stadium in the foreground, the University of Toronto buildings behind it, and then a modern skyline in the distance. I hate it. Surely they could have found another solution. We protect vistas in urban planning all the time (Bay Street with Old City Hall at the end, University Avenue with Queen's Park at the end, etc. This should have been no exception. This one gets an 'F'.

Last edited:
But the vista up Bay towards Old City Hall hasn't been preserved - stand at the foot of Bay at Queen's Quay and look north and ROCP towers above it. And the tussle over the proposed ROM condo tower a few years ago would indicate that the view up University to the Legislature isn't a preserved vista either. There is a difference between having views of major civic buildings such as these preserved and having views of commercial office towers preserved, surely? Indeed, the development of this site, with the removal of the large brick wall, has actually opened it up to public view from Bloor.

Varsity Stadium May 12th

I'm kinda disappointed that this new building ruins the expansive view of the downtown skyline from Bloor.

Views are safe from the north and south side of Bloor Street.

Click on the thumbnail to enlarge, then click again on the image for full size.

As suggested, something needs to be done with this side of the board facing Bloor Street

Last edited:

Back