News   Jul 12, 2024
 825     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 744     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 314     0 

U of T: New Varsity Stadium (Diamond + Schmitt)

great update! I am happy to see that when all is said and done there will still exist a recreational playing field at the south end.

Maybe U of T planning dept should be hired to oversee the entire city. They seem to have a great vision and build lots of interesting architecture that fits into the overall context... I am consistently impressed with the projects they execute.

Some pretty serious construction going on here.

Tuesday%20Walk%20060.jpg

Tuesday%20Walk%20006.jpg

Tuesday%20Walk%20007.jpg

Tuesday%20Walk%20008.jpg

Tuesday%20Walk%20010.jpg

Tuesday%20Walk%20011.jpg

VarsityARIAL%20copy.jpg

It's the building on the right side of the render.

thanks for the updates. this project, along with the new law school expansion, should help beautify philosopher's walk. as far as the stadium goes, i think it looks pretty attractive. it has an interesting relationship with bloor and has provided new trees and benches.

i understand many forumers find downtown stadiums ugly and "wastes of real estate" but in this case, i must disagaree. every university needs a quality stadium and u of t happens to be downtown. let's remember how much u of t has beautified this city and the role it has played in education and innovation. it's like watching 'Good Will Hunting,' (suitably filmed at this very university) great actors, great director, great script, but shoot, ben affleck is also in this flick. this city also lags behind in athletic development. certainly, this new research centre will play a role in the development of athletes for the Pan Am Games and (fingers crossed) a future Summer Olympics.

certainly, the north side could interact with bloor more harmoniously. i'd love to see taller trees. the back of the scoreboard could also provide information or be used for public art.

Last edited:
That render looks nothing like the last one I saw at the community meeting. I'm pretty sure it's old.

The one I saw had the building end just before the middle of the track and then a canopy would cover the walkway to the building from Devonshire.

They have also created a small brick building on Devonshire on the southwest corner of the complex for storage.

Is there a more specific image available of how the stadium will look from Bloor? Will there be a gate or wall or something, or will we be looking directly at the stadium?

Having worked at U of T stadium and arena for many years it's great to see the investment in a new facility. I find it suprising that seating was placed at the eastern side as it restricts growth eastward and make afternoon and evening viewing of events harder to see with the setting sun.

How do you feel about the destruction of old Varsity Stadium? Although, there are many beneficial characteristics of the new facility, Varsity Stadium was arguably more historically important, as part of north America's sports heritage, than Maple Leaf Gardens. It didn't receive the protection it deserved because college football no longer holds the place it once did with Torontonians and we're not talking hockey here. Let's keep in mind that the Varsity Blues were getting crowds of 20,000+ way back in 1950.

It begs the question, if we tore Varsity Stadium down because our connection to it disappeared, what's to prevent a repeat 50 years from now with Maple Leaf Gardens? That generation of Torontonians will associate hockey with the ACC, or worse still, hockey may go the same way as football has in this city due to cultural shifts. There are already signs of changes in the sporting choices in this city. The rise of soccer is the most blatant. Some say it could never happen to hockey, but they also said that about football in Toronto 50 years ago.

Your points regarding the placement of the stands is a valid one, but what about the athletics track? I realize U of T doesn't have land to spare, but football and athletics tracks don't work well together. We've gone from a 22,000 seat national treasure with great sight lines, to a 5,000 seat stadium with bad sight lines.

If old Varsity Stadium was in the US, it would have received heritage designation and people would have made pilgrimages just to see it. Because it was Canada, and it was football, we tore it down. New Varsity Stadium looks great, but is awful for football. We've also lost an irreplaceable part of north America's sporting heritage. They should have found another way.

Oldest football stadium was Varsity Stadium at the University of Toronto. It opened in 1898, a full 37 years after the world's first documented football match was played at University College, University of Toronto on November 9, 1861. The original structure was replaced by a newer structure in 1924. This second structure was replaced by the current structure built in 2007.

26th Grey Cup played on December 10, 1938 at Varsity Stadium, Toronto.
Toronto Argonauts 30, Winnipeg Blue Bombers 7
2007_11_201938.jpg

http://torontoist.com/attachments/toronto_kevinp/2007_11_201938.jpg

Last edited:
^ add in that it was also the spiritual home of soccer in this country.

It hosted games for the 76 Olympics and was, essentially, national soccer stadium for years.....I spent many nights as a youth cheering for Toronto Metros then Metros Croatia then Toronto Blizzard there before they moved to "the ex"...it was a fabulous soccer/football stadium.

The other aspect I often wonder about is how underused/underappreciated Varsity arena is.

Back when Melnyk was hunting for a home for the St. Mikes Majors (before they moved to Mississauga) there was all this talk that the old barn at St. Mikes was too small but if we could just find a +/- 5,000 seat arena with good accesibility then junior hockey could work in Toronto....I always thought that described Varsity pretty well!

Toronto gets glimpse of world's fastest man
Randy Starkman
Sports Reporter

The agent for Usain Bolt has confirmed the Jamaican sprinting superstar has signed to race at Varsity Stadium in Toronto on June 11.

The Star first reported the negotiations to lure the Olympic champion here in January and it appears that promoter John Carson of Cambridge, Ont., has been successful in pulling off this major coup, although undoubtedly at a very high price. It's expected that Bolt's asking price is around $250,000.

Bolt entered the 2008 Beijing Olympics as the world's fastest man and lowered his world record in the 100-metres to 9.69 seconds on Aug. 16, despite raising his arms over the final steps of the race.

He then he become the first man since Carl Lewis to sweep in the 100m and 200m at the Olympics, breaking a 12-year-old record to click 19.30. Finally, Bolt ran the third leg of Jamaica's 4x100m relay team that won gold in Beijing.

Ricky Simms, who represents Bolt, confirmed that he's coming to Toronto in an email correspondence to Jamaican journalists and the news was carried in a release yesterday on the official website of track and field's governing body, IAAF.

Simms said the event is called "the Toronto Festival of Excellence."

"This is a new meeting and we are very happy to participate and give the many Jamaicans living in Canada the opportunity to see Usain compete," said Simms in his email.

The driving force behind the event is Carson, an energetic track enthusiast who runs the "Classic Mile" in Cambridge, Ont., where for the past five summers a new Mercedes Benz has been available to any runner who can break the four-minute barrier.

It's believed that meet organizers will try to attract such top Canadian athletes as Olympic bronze medallist hurdler Priscilla Lopes-Schliep of Whitby, shot putter Dylan Armstrong and 800-metre runner Gary Reed, both fourth-place finishers in Beijing.

U of T's facilities underwent an overhaul in recent years and has a new track and throwing facilities that meet International Amateur Athletic Federation standards. The Canadian championships are being held there for the first time in 40 years June 24-28.

http://www.thestar.com/article/597640

It begs the question, if we tore Varsity Stadium down because our connection to it disappeared, what's to prevent a repeat 50 years from now with Maple Leaf Gardens?

The way things are going, don't be surprised if the zero is dropped from "50"...

From the above link.

"The pavilion, located at the south end of Varsity Stadium, is currently under construction (see photo). When it is completed, it will serve as the main entrance for the stadium, winter dome and Varsity Arena. Designed by Diamond + Schmitt Architects Inc., the building will also house football change rooms, multipurpose change and meeting rooms, a sports therapy room and Olympic lifting platforms. Builder M.J. Dixon Construction Limited has broken ground, and the project is scheduled for completion by summer 2009."

For the title?

I also found this small render on this website but I think it's the structure proposed for the west side of Varsity, not the south.

Uof-T--Varsity-Sadium-Full-.jpg

Last edited:

Back