News   Apr 24, 2024
 568     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 790     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 534     0 

U of T: New Varsity Stadium (Diamond + Schmitt)

i'll do my best to post some up if i happen to walk by and see some tail...but i walk past at LEAST twice a week and rarely see females. i might as well photograph some randoms on the street...you guys won't mind, haha!

Varsity BLUES

blue track, blue glass, slow progress, big canopy.

Attachments

• IMG_0481.jpg
    IMG_0481.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 522
  • IMG_0516.jpg
    IMG_0516.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 534
July24-09

Click on the thumbnail to enlarge, then click again on the image for full size.

what exactly is the design language/philosophy behind this addition? It seems really odd to me in the context, except for the blue coloring. The entire stadium redo is suffering from blue overload imo...the blue track is unusual, jarring, and a reminder of how artificial this environment. I would have preferred brown/red earthtones typically used for tracks. we get it, they are the varsity blues, and the school colors are blue, but how much blue do we need?

For this building, I wonder if they could have built a lot of more usable space there. Will the expansive white part of the building have a large sign? That's the only reason why it could be so large.

The entire stadium redo is suffering from blue overload imo...the blue track is unusual, jarring, and a reminder of how artificial this environment. I would have preferred brown/red earthtones typically used for tracks. we get it, they are the varsity blues, and the school colors are blue, but how much blue do we need?

Beyond the track itself and the two endzones, what other blues do you find are overloading? The construction hoarding at the south end will be removed when construction is finished.

If the track was brown/red, you might find the red to be overloaded, considering it would be very similar to the bricks of the south end pavilion.

And many new tracks these days are not the stereotypical brown/red. UWindsor has alternating blue/gold lanes, UWO has alternating rust/gray lanes. Berlin (which is hosting the World Championships in one week is also blue).

Sept. 6th

Is this finished yet?

The exterior facing Bloor Street looks to be pretty much complete.

Click on the thumbnail to enlarge, then click again on the image for full size.

Last edited:
Varsity AT-AT

P1020641xx.jpg

P1020611xxx.jpg

P1020597xxx.jpg

P1020538xxx.jpg

Attachments

• P1020641xx.jpg
    P1020641xx.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 557
  • P1020611xxx.jpg
    P1020611xxx.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 498
  • P1020597xxx.jpg
    P1020597xxx.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 484
  • P1020538xxx.jpg
    P1020538xxx.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 503
In front of the sign? Is this thing permanent? (Whatever 'permanent' actually means.) I suppose glass awnings will be installed over those beams?

^ I think it is 'permanent', they poured a concrete pad to make it level. Very poor planning though, almost like an afterthought. As you mentioned, they've covered up the sign and it's not right for this location. I do like the design of the booth itself though.

Ugg. What an ugly stadium. They should have stuck to the stricly utilitarianism concept.

Ugg. What an ugly stadium. They should have stuck to the stricly utilitarianism concept.

What makes Varsity Stadium ugly and non-utilitarian for you? I think it's pretty successful considering the budget constraints. I especially like the way the 'raw' (utilitarian) bleachers impose themselves on the oh-so-polished RCM (not a crit of RCM, BTW). I say good bang for the buck.

Last edited:

Back