News   Jul 12, 2024
 855     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 768     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 324     0 

U of T: New Varsity Stadium (Diamond + Schmitt)

I am not sure that they even had the ability (financially). ROM is still trying to pay off the latest expansion.

The ICC already sees itself as the nucleus of something large - within the context of the new building, where they have a gallery in the Crystal and access to other parts of the museum for public events. I would imagine that increased funding, rather than increased space, would be more useful to them. The Royal Conservatory hasn't moved into their new building, so it seems premature to suggest that they should consider an expansion to it.

Still, a few little ROM Crystal lite buildings, scattered around the Province and playing up the Ontario part of the museum's name, would be a nice idea.

a wacko idea just struck me as i was thinking about aA and other exciting architects that could enhance this area of bloor st: hire mr alsop to build classrooms and residences in a giant (tennis table top) building on stilts on top of the stadium! Just a nice little fantasy of mine. I'm still upset they didn't have a narrow strip of residences and retail on bloor--what a lost opportunity....

a wacko idea just struck me as i was thinking about aA and other exciting architects that could enhance this area of bloor st: hire mr alsop to build classrooms and residences in a giant (tennis table top) building on stilts on top of the stadium! Just a nice little fantasy of mine. I'm still upset they didn't have a narrow strip of residences and retail on bloor--what a lost opportunity....

There was no opportunity available to lose...the stadium field goes right to the northern and southern edge of the property - right to the sidewalk on Bloor. A small tabletop has already been proposed for the southern end to house phys ed department stuff.

Having worked at U of T stadium and arena for many years it's great to see the investment in a new facility. I find it suprising that seating was placed at the eastern side as it restricts growth eastward and make afternoon and evening viewing of events harder to see with the setting sun.

Was able to get through the gate today, was followed around by a squirrel. I also included some shots from the bleachers.

1794752093_c57a80b53b_b.jpg

1794752073_d104ac1dcf_b.jpg

1794752061_707122e483_b.jpg

1795582768_9845f4985a_b.jpg

1795582754_ac9f9d6b33_b.jpg

1795582740_df89f714fe_b.jpg

1795582728_c17819b65a_b.jpg

1795582718_be11c5f024_b.jpg

1795582708_42c9d2f52d_b.jpg

1794910769_35d9cf6319_b.jpg

1794910759_6da719bc01_b.jpg

1794910745_488c4a09e2_b.jpg

1794910737_8d4054800e_b.jpg

1794910731_63e1c64cb9_b.jpg

nice pics, Andrew, a lot of good vantage points there.....also, cute squirrel.....:D

Those are some Damn good shots Andrew3D!

I love how all of Toronto is evolving rather than developers putting all of their efforts into one section of the city. Seeing the new Woodsworth residence in those pictures got me thinking about how different the city looks now from five years ago, and how different it will look in another five.

Once again, great shots Andrew!

Not exactly Alvin - read on!

from http://www.varsitycentre.ca/in-focus/varsity-centre-is-growing-again/:

Varsity Centre is growing again

Varsity Centre’s state-of-the-art stadium will get even better this year, with construction underway for a new entryway pavilion and a throws area to round out its track and field facilities.

The throws area, located on Trinity College field immediately south of Varsity Stadium, will serve a dual purpose for U of T. It will offer Trinity College students a first-class playing field for recreational sports, while creating an IAAF-certified space for hammer, discus, shot put and javelin events.

Featuring a natural turf field, this facility will greatly strengthen Varsity Centre’s ability to host national and international track and field events. Its promise was first realized this spring, as Athletics Canada awarded the 2009 and 2010 Canadian Track and Field Championships to the University of Toronto.

This world-class facility – designed by landscape architects MMM Group and currently being built by Dol Turf Restoration Ltd. – is on target to be completed by the end of July 2008, with mature sod ready for use in the fall.

The pavilion, located at the south end of Varsity Stadium, will serve as the main entrance for the stadium, winter dome and Varsity Arena. Designed by Diamond + Schmitt Architects Inc., the building will also house football change rooms, multipurpose change and meeting rooms, a sports therapy room and Olympic lifting platforms. Builder M.J. Dixon Construction Limited has broken ground, and the project is scheduled for completion by May 2009.

Meanwhile, in regards to the Centre for High performance Athletics, this from the Media Coverage section of the Varsity Centre website:

The school is pursuing provincial, federal and corporate funds to establish the Goldring Centre for High Performance. Groundbreaking is planned for fall 2009.

It seems it has moved across the street to the west side of Devonshire Place. This image appears at http://www.varsitycentre.ca/images/Cente-for-High-Performance-Sport-exterior_revised.jpg

Cente-for-High-Performance-Sport-exterior_revised.jpg

Back