News   Apr 16, 2024
 604     3 
News   Apr 16, 2024
 448     3 
News   Apr 16, 2024
 811     1 

TTC: Streetcar Network

If the TTC will be ordering more new streetcars after COVID-19 (now is a good time to start building them), they should consider ordering double-ended streetcars, with doors on both sides.

Then they can use wye to reverse, using less real estate in the process.

If the TTC will be ordering more new streetcars after COVID-19 (now is a good time to start building them), they should consider ordering double-ended streetcars, with doors on both sides.

That ship has long sailed, the TTC had their chance.

Why use a wye that only adds extra time when stub ends is the way to go.

Fully agree on duel end and have call for them since day one.

If there is no money to buy more cars, how are you going to order them as well pay for them??? Mr Ford will not fund streetcars for Toronto since he prefer they don't exist and will remain in power after 2022. The city pickup 66% of the cost for the new fleet and will not do that again.

According to info from Boston, CRRC cars are about 18 months late been delivering for the Red and Orange line with some of that delay being caused by COVID-19. Other manufactures are seeing late deliveries as well due to COVID-19.

I don't really see the TTC ever buying double-ended cars for the existing network or building wye tracks as part of the existing streetcar network

What about building crossovers? Then the car can go both ways without a wye.

In 1983 (three years after it opened), they abandoned the SRT loop at Kennedy Station, replaced by a crossover wye. The old loop became a tailtrack for storage.

Kennedyloop.jpg

From link.

What about building crossovers? Then the car can go both ways without a wye.
Crossovers on the streetcar network could be placed along a route to handle short-turns, collisions, or construction.
Yes they could add them but in all likelihood they probably won't. Don't forget they were supposed to switch to using pantographs in the 1980's when they bought the CLRVs and ALRVs and it's now 40 years later and not all of the network can be used with one..

Yes they could add them but in all likelihood they probably won't. Don't forget they were supposed to switch to using pantographs in the 1980's when they bought the CLRVs and ALRVs and it's now 40 years later and not all of the network can be used with one..

They are in the process of converting the trolley wires over to pantograph catenary. It's the penny-pinching accountants who are stretching out the conversion timeline.

They are in the process of converting the trolley wires over to pantograph catenary. It's the penny-pinching accountants who are stretching out the conversion timeline.
Yes I know that but as I said they had originally planned to do it 40 years ago but didn't. So since they haven't ever said anything about double ended streetcars or crossovers for the legacy network I don't really think it's going to happen in the next 40 years.

The double ended streetcar train has left the station, they had the change to switch to it with the Flexities and didnt do it. We wont ever see it in Toronto for various reasons including the TTC's current "operate streetcars in fear" tactics.

The thing the TTC should be focusing on is improving current streetcar operations, which is quite frankly a laughing joke as they currently stand.

Yesterday I was riding on a couple routes in the city, and I was just rolling my eyes at how damn slow streetcar operations are. Among some of the most ridiculous things I witnessed:

-Streetcars slow down at every signalized intersection before proceeding through,
-Literally take a full signal cycle just to clear any streetcar intersection,
-Crawl through empty streets at low speeds while buses running on the same route pass them,
-Stop and proceed at every single switch point, etc..

I can write a list of dozens of things that the TTC does to cripple streetcar operations, and most of which have started within the last 20 years while others have been in place for as long as I can remember. If we want to unlock hidden potential and further improve commute times in this city, the streetcar network is the easiest place to start. Funny thing is, the TTC and city seem to think we need projects like the King Street corridor to do this. However in all actuality, if the TTC stopped playing games in their operations, we could achieve the same effect on all streetcar routes in the city without spending a significant amount in doing so.

The double ended streetcar train has left the station, they had the change to switch to it with the Flexities and didnt do it. We wont ever see it in Toronto for various reasons including the TTC's current "operate streetcars in fear" tactics.

The thing the TTC should be focusing on is improving current streetcar operations, which is quite frankly a laughing joke as they currently stand.

Yesterday I was riding on a couple routes in the city, and I was just rolling my eyes at how damn slow streetcar operations are. Among some of the most ridiculous things I witnessed:

-Streetcars slow down at every signalized intersection before proceeding through,
-Literally take a full signal cycle just to clear any streetcar intersection,
-Crawl through empty streets at low speeds while buses running on the same route pass them,
-Stop and proceed at every single switch point, etc..

I can write a list of dozens of things that the TTC does to cripple streetcar operations, and most of which have started within the last 20 years while others have been in place for as long as I can remember. If we want to unlock hidden potential and further improve commute times in this city, the streetcar network is the easiest place to start. Funny thing is, the TTC and city seem to think we need projects like the King Street corridor to do this. However in all actuality, if the TTC stopped playing games in their operations, we could achieve the same effect on all streetcar routes in the city without spending a significant amount in doing so.
This so much. Even on routes such as the 510, it genuinely feels like you're crawling down the line despite the fact that the streetcar even has its own ROW.

This so much. Even on routes such as the 510, it genuinely feels like you're crawling down the line despite the fact that the streetcar even has its own ROW.
Switches, traffic lights not for Streetcar and a few stops that need to be remove does not help to speed service these days on 510 & 512

Last edited:
Speaking of the 510 (one of the routes I took yesterday) I was amazed at how slow it was a clearing the grand union at Queen and Spadina. I was attempting to transfer to the 501 which was waiting on a red, and my 510 started crossing the intersection right at the start of the signal cycle. It literally took the entire cycle to clear the intersection and by the time my streetcar finally opened the doors at the farside stop, the 501 was already on its way and I missed it.

Needless to say I was pissed off as it was nighttime and I had to wait 30 mins for the next one. This is exactly the kind of stuff that makes one's commute unnecessarily long for reasons in the TTC's control.

Back