News   Mar 02, 2021
 1.4K     2 
News   Mar 02, 2021
 1.2K     0 

TTC: Streetcar Network

thettctransitfanatic

Member Bio
Reaction score
I'm just curious on how many routes are pantograph ready and how many aren't.

501 - incomplete except for some sections that allow cars heading into service on 509, 510, 511 and 512 from Lesly barns

503 - Maybe but hasn't seen streetcars for awhile

504 - parts may be useable for one half of the route like from Broadview to Dufferin loop, distillery lop section is usable but all of the routes isn't complete until the king, queen and Roncesvalles section is redone

505 - mostly complete possibly done at this point and fully usable for pans

506 - still work to be done

508 - incomplete for the same reason as queen and part of king

509 fully competed and pans are in use on

510 - fully completed and pans are in use on

511 - fully completed and pans were used until replacement by buses

512 - fully complete and pans in use

505 is pan to Parialment, pole Parialment to Broadview Stn

MisterF

Member Bio
Reaction score
Planned Changes to King, Queen, Roncesvalles and The Queensway for 2021

See link to Steve Munro's website.

This item was to have been approved by Council at its April 1, 2020 meeting, but that was cancelled. The item is still pending approval.

And we get two new streets with this project - "Queens" Street and "Kings" Street. ??

W. K. Lis

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
This video is from Melbourne, Australia.

How do you steer a tram??? - Tram Automatic Points and how to choose direction of travel.

You can tell it's not Toronto, because Toronto uses single-point track switches on its streetcar network, not double-point like in Melbourne.

Johnny Au

Member Bio
Reaction score
Near the North York, York, & Old Toronto tripoint
This video is from Melbourne, Australia.

How do you steer a tram??? - Tram Automatic Points and how to choose direction of travel.

You can tell it's not Toronto, because Toronto uses single-point track switches on its streetcar network, not double-point like in Melbourne.
...and traffic is kept on the left side of the road in Melbourne.

smably

Member Bio
Reaction score
Got an email yesterday from Councillor Perks with this project timeline for the Howard Park track reconstruction:
Screen Shot 2020-06-18 at 9.31.52 AM.png

Also didn't realize that we're getting a nice new Roncy-style streetcar platform at Howard Park and Dundas with a bike ramps on either end (see designs):
Screen Shot 2020-06-18 at 9.33.38 AM.png

Glad to see some fixes for that intersection. Always a lot of honking here because drivers don't understand whether they're allowed to pull past the stop line at Lynd to turn right on red.

DSC

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
What makes you think there are more (public) documents than this? It looks to me as though Humber is suggesting this idea (which, I assume they would pay for) as part of a much larger campus plan. If it moves ahead (not soon, I bet!) then the TTC would need to sign-off on it but, if I understand right, the new loop would be "new" and would probably be in a better location so if Humber were paying to build it I should think the TTC would be happy.

Bureaucromancer

Member Bio
Reaction score
It does seem like it would address what the TTC has been trying to accomplish with proposals at Park Lawn and similar for shifting Humber (loop) short turns west. A great opportunity if Humber (college) is serious about paying for it.

rbt

Member Bio
Reaction score
Can anyone find links to a possible new streetcar loop or loops at the Humber College Lakeshore Campus (possibly replacing the current Kipling loop)?

I think those are bus/truck clearance lines we're looking at. There are a whole bunch around the loading bays for the building.

Also, the Transportation Impact Study doesn't mention any streetcar route changes proposed; just projected ridership at the existing street stops.

Amare

Member Bio
Reaction score
It does seem like it would address what the TTC has been trying to accomplish with proposals at Park Lawn and similar for shifting Humber (loop) short turns west. A great opportunity if Humber (college) is serious about paying for it.
I think you're getting the two proposals mixed up. This proposed Humber College Loop does nothing to address the Park Lawn situation; this loop would be located west of the current Kipling Loop.

Good for Humber for thinking of this idea, but they need to get serious about adressing their student parking issues in the area. They have been contributing to significant traffic clogging in the neighborhood. It's time for them to stop playing cute and build a below-grade parking garage.

Bureaucromancer

Member Bio
Reaction score
This proposed Humber College Loop does nothing to address the Park Lawn situation; this loop would be located west of the current Kipling Loop.

It's not exactly the same thing, but I very much doubt that this will ever be anything but an either/or situation.

In fact, didn't the actual Park Lawn plan include eliminating both Humber and Kipling loops fully?

Last edited: