News   Jul 31, 2020
 3.3K     13 
News   Jul 31, 2020
 1.1K     3 

TTC: Streetcar Network

jsjaker

Member Bio
Reaction score
This may be a dumb question but why all the A and B route designations? I find it confusing when looking at the map and if I were not a regular rider, wouldn't know which one to take when downtown. Why not just separate numbers as I'm sure they do in Europe and elsewhere.

W. K. Lis

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
How would it not fit in?
The streetcar stops are shown to be located on Roncesvalles Avenue southbound (northwest corner), Roncesvalles Avenue northbound (northeast corner), Queen Street West eastbound (southeast corner), and Queen Street West westbound (northeast corner). That leaves the stop location for westbound 504B (going from King Street West to The Queensway), unless they use a separate stop on King Street West (southeast corner).

DSC

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
This may be a dumb question but why all the A and B route designations? I find it confusing when looking at the map and if I were not a regular rider, wouldn't know which one to take when downtown. Why not just separate numbers as I'm sure they do in Europe and elsewhere.
I am not sure it is more confusing to have, for example, 504A and 504B vs 504 and 514. Some transit systems seem to follow one convention, others another. The A & B folk obviously think of the "route' being the 504 with some vehicles running on the east and central part (in this case B) while others run on the western and central part. (or A). The bus routes often have far more 'branches' so the letters probably work better there and I guess the TTC liked having all modes handled the same way.

smallspy

Member Bio
Reaction score
I am not sure it is more confusing to have, for example, 504A and 504B vs 504 and 514. Some transit systems seem to follow one convention, others another. The A & B folk obviously think of the "route' being the 504 with some vehicles running on the east and central part (in this case B) while others run on the western and central part. (or A). The bus routes often have far more 'branches' so the letters probably work better there and I guess the TTC liked having all modes handled the same way.
One other thing to consider.....

There will likely be periods of operation - perhaps early in the morning on weekends, late evenings all week, etc. - where the routes will be combined so that all vehicles travel the full distance of both routes.

In this case, appending a letter to the base route designation for the different branches may be the simplest thing for everyone to remember, rather than trying to figure out which route is which and at which times.

Dan

W. K. Lis

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
Planned Changes to King, Queen, Roncesvalles and The Queensway for 2021

See link to Steve Munro's website.

This item was to have been approved by Council at its April 1, 2020 meeting, but that was cancelled. The item is still pending approval.

Turning now to the traffic lane widths for The Queensway. Are they designed for the “suggested” speed limit of 50 km/h, the old "designed" 60 km/h, or for the “safety” of speeders doing 100+ km/h? Motorists would slow down if the traffic lanes were actually narrow.

By narrowing the traffic lanes to force the traffic to slow down, they could leave room for a raised bicycle lane in each direction. Hopefully at The Queensway and King Street West intersection they will leave some space for raised bicycle lanes, including access to the possible Roncesvalles Avenue south extension bridge for cyclists and pedestrians only (was planned back in 2007, then Rob Ford came along and ended that.)

EastYorkTTCFan

Member Bio
Reaction score
I'm just curious on how many routes are pantograph ready and how many aren't.

501 - incomplete except for some sections that allow cars heading into service on 509, 510, 511 and 512 from Lesly barns

503 - Maybe but hasn't seen streetcars for awhile

504 - parts may be useable for one half of the route like from Broadview to Dufferin loop, distillery lop section is usable but all of the routes isn't complete until the king, queen and Roncesvalles section is redone

505 - mostly complete possibly done at this point and fully usable for pans

506 - still work to be done

508 - incomplete for the same reason as queen and part of king

509 fully competed and pans are in use on

510 - fully completed and pans are in use on

511 - fully completed and pans were used until replacement by buses

512 - fully complete and pans in use

thettctransitfanatic

Member Bio
Reaction score
I'm just curious on how many routes are pantograph ready and how many aren't.

501 - incomplete except for some sections that allow cars heading into service on 509, 510, 511 and 512 from Lesly barns

503 - Maybe but hasn't seen streetcars for awhile

504 - parts may be useable for one half of the route like from Broadview to Dufferin loop, distillery lop section is usable but all of the routes isn't complete until the king, queen and Roncesvalles section is redone

505 - mostly complete possibly done at this point and fully usable for pans

506 - still work to be done

508 - incomplete for the same reason as queen and part of king

509 fully competed and pans are in use on

510 - fully completed and pans are in use on

511 - fully completed and pans were used until replacement by buses

512 - fully complete and pans in use
505 is pan to Parialment, pole Parialment to Broadview Stn

MisterF

Member Bio
Reaction score

W. K. Lis

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
This video is from Melbourne, Australia.

How do you steer a tram??? - Tram Automatic Points and how to choose direction of travel.

You can tell it's not Toronto, because Toronto uses single-point track switches on its streetcar network, not double-point like in Melbourne.

Johnny Au

Member Bio
Reaction score
Near the North York, York, & Old Toronto tripoint
This video is from Melbourne, Australia.

How do you steer a tram??? - Tram Automatic Points and how to choose direction of travel.

You can tell it's not Toronto, because Toronto uses single-point track switches on its streetcar network, not double-point like in Melbourne.
...and traffic is kept on the left side of the road in Melbourne.