News   Apr 18, 2024
 667     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 5.9K     1 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 2.4K     4 

TTC: Streetcar Network

So if 505 is going to return to streetcar service, how could it be split into a 505a and 505b to reduce the pressure on the loops at Dundas West and Broadview? Analogous to the split of 504 at the cancellation of 514 service.

Can't they make each of those turn to a route that could be used for revenue service?

Unlike buses, streetcars can and do revenue service to and from the barns. Depends upon the operator, however, if they do. Buses tend to be in revenue service on their route unto they "short turn" at the point on the route where they turn for their garages.

So if 505 is going to return to streetcar service, how could it be split into a 505a and 505b to reduce the pressure on the loops at Dundas West and Broadview? Analogous to the split of 504 at the cancellation of 514 service.

I'm not sure they have a suitable loop in the east. Presumably they could run "505A" from Brodview to the High Park loop, but the "505B" from Dundas West won't have a good place to turn unless it goes all the way to the Main Street loop.

Or, perhaps the "505B" could turn south on Broadview, and proceed to the Cherry Street loop? But, not sure how many riders will take that route.

Big problem at Broadview is gonna be on-street stacking. Even if they only run enough service on 505 to ensure that the platform is always vacated, it happens already on 504. Alternative is step back crewing, and sending cars express to Broadview if another is <2min behind.

if the Broadview trackage to Unilever ever gets built it would seem like a possible 505 branch terminus to me

...or further south into the East Waterfront.

201758-transit-network.jpg-resize-_opacity_100-frame_bg_color_FFF-h_2500-gravity_center-q_70-preserve_ratio_true-w_1400_.webp

From link.

if the Broadview trackage to Unilever ever gets built it would seem like a possible 505 branch terminus to me

Was there not about 10 to 15 years ago some plan to turn (part of?) the Green P lot north of the Queen and Broadview intersection into a loop? IIRC there was a multi-party land swap deal in which the TTC gave up the land used for the loop at King & Parliament (removed around 2005 or so) in exchange for that space on the Green P lot on Broadview. They've never built the loop though.

Was there not about 10 to 15 years ago some plan to turn (part of?) the Green P lot north of the Queen and Broadview intersection into a loop? IIRC there was a multi-party land swap deal in which the TTC gave up the land used for the loop at King & Parliament (removed around 2005 or so) in exchange for that space on the Green P lot on Broadview. They've never built the loop though.

IIRC the turn radius was too tight so the TTC abandoned the idea.

I'm not sure they have a suitable loop in the east. Presumably they could run "505A" from Brodview to the High Park loop, but the "505B" from Dundas West won't have a good place to turn unless it goes all the way to the Main Street loop.

I checked and the Gerrard / Broadview intersection does have the required north-to-east curve and the reciprocal west-to-south curve. When I read your post, I thought one of the two was missing.

Or, perhaps the "505B" could turn south on Broadview, and proceed to the Cherry Street loop? But, not sure how many riders will take that route.

This is why I asked the question. I could not think of a good place to loop in the east end. Too bad the city didn't build the loop in the Green P lot at Broadview and Queen. I know that the TTC wanted a loop to turn back 501s east back to west, but the same loop could serve to loop Broadview south to Broadview north which would loop a 505 which originated at Dundas West.

Big problem at Broadview is gonna be on-street stacking. Even if they only run enough service on 505 to ensure that the platform is always vacated, it happens already on 504. Alternative is step back crewing, and sending cars express to Broadview if another is <2min behind.
I live in the neighbourhood so I walk, drive or bike past this a few times a week. The problem is less with the 505 as a bus. It was a regular occurrence with the smaller CLRVs (mixed 504 and 505) to be backed up to the Loblaws or the first crosswalk south of the Danforth in the afternoon rush hour. With the larger Flexities, and the limited platform space at Broadview, how can this not be an issue?

IIRC the turn radius was too tight so the TTC abandoned the idea.
I believe that the TTC put the kibosh on the idea because there is only so much political capital and the winds were not blowing the direction of "more tracks in mixed ROW"

The TTC also wants a pair of tracks up Jones from Queen to Gerrard for flexibility looping cars, but this died on the same altar.

As I posted earlier; I wish the city had Councillors who would fearlessly make the decisions required to improve the place. Not everything is easy. You were elected to lead. Leadership involves unpopular decisions. Every parent knows that. I can't stand these people running for the corners, and making due. I also can't stand half-assed.

For what it's worth; and Kathleen Wynne is still a controversial figure, Mrs Wynne was not afraid to state what she thought needed to be done and make the case as she saw it for getting it done. Regardless of whether one votes blue, red or orange and esteems one of those parties, this quality is rare and we don't have remotely enough city councillors - large council or small council - who embody it.

Back