News   Jul 02, 2020
 565     2 
News   Jul 02, 2020
 512     0 

TTC: Streetcar Network

Rainforest

Member Bio
Reaction score
As to appearing on the Rapid Transit map, I would say Line 5 does and 510/512 doesn't. The big difference isn't how the vehicles or stops look like but the purpose of each line. Line 5 is designed for regional longer distance travel while the 510/512 are pretty local lines. Line 6 is hmmmm... maybe? It does serve a regional purpose by connect to Humber College which would become a transit hub. The 900 Airport Express does deserve to be on the map to help tourists navigate the city while other express bus routes don't.
I would be inclined though to keep 512 and especially 510/509 on that map, for the same reason the 900 Airport is there: help the tourists navigate the city. CN Tower and Ripley are easier to reach using 510 / 509 than by any other means. Sure you can get there from King following John St, or from Union using the skywalk, but those routes are less obvious for someone new to the city.

APTA-2048

Member Bio
Reaction score
I would be inclined though to keep 512 and especially 510/509 on that map, for the same reason the 900 Airport is there: help the tourists navigate the city. CN Tower and Ripley are easier to reach using 510 / 509 than by any other means. Sure you can get there from King following John St, or from Union using the skywalk, but those routes are less obvious for someone new to the city.
In my opinion, with a few tweaks, the 509 can be bumped up a tier in terms of rapid transit. There have been a few times I’ve taken it on the weekend with the right kind of operator who knows what they’re doing (and a bit of luck), where the trip from the Ex to Union was unexpectedly fast. It had that “rapid transit” feel, to me anyway.

Jonny5

Member Bio
Reaction score
That is a sight for sore eyes. I am so godamn sick of the buses on the 505.
Isn't that Dundas/Victoria/Dundas Square intersection to have a track rebuild this year? I suppose that could be a simple diversion though; Church-Carlton-Bay without any bus substitution?

DSC

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
Isn't that Dundas/Victoria/Dundas Square intersection to have a track rebuild this year? I suppose that could be a simple diversion though; Church-Carlton-Bay without any bus substitution?
I think they are only doing Victoria Street - from Dundas to Queen. If I remember right, the intersection was done about 6 years ago.

Jonny5

Member Bio
Reaction score
I think they are only doing Victoria Street - from Dundas to Queen. If I remember right, the intersection was done about 6 years ago.
You're right. It was actually only a two and a half years ago they did that intersection, though it feels like six years.

Reactions: DSC