News   Jan 19, 2021
 590     0 
News   Jan 19, 2021
 407     0 

TTC: Streetcar Network

jys

Member Bio
Reaction score
I'm also lugging a bike this time of year, and it's reasonably light, but I also have a heavy backsack with road tools and necessities for distance cycling.
Oh okay, I can see why the subway would be inconvenient for you.
There are two GO bus routes from Sq One that call at Pearson airport. It would be supremely more convenient to connect through that way. It will eventually happen, but it could happen now. I live right at Bloor Station.
Could you enlighten me as to which two? I only know of one--route 40, which comes every 30 mins during peak times and every hour off-peak.

You should consider moving to SQ1 as an alternative. It's not a bad place.

steveintoronto

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
Oh okay, I can see why the subway would be inconvenient for you.
Actually I like subway for bike, you don't have to secure it, and on mine, I attach a velcro strip to across the back wheel rim to the rack for a number of reasons, not least that a 'lively' frame will jump out of the rack on rough roads when turning a corner. Second is quick release wheels. All that's holding on that machine is the hope that the bozo who loads up his junker next to yours doesn't damage the bike (it's happened) and knock the QR lever on the front wheel (also happened)! In some of the US SW states at least, it's required in many jurisdictions for the carrier to have an attached velcro strip on the rack for the back wheels, they've lost some expensive bikes and at least one caused an horrific accident. Actually, under the HTA load provisions section, Ontario also requires bikes to be secured by two points to the vehicle. I went through the Transport Minister a few years back to straighten out a massive hassle GO were giving me by their supervisors. Long story short (and I still have the letter) it hit the National Post, and suddenly I had the head of GO bus operations phoning me to apologize profusely, straighten out his department, sent me the letter, and $100 of Preto card time for my hassles. (I was barred by one super at Square One for complying to the law. Go figure...)

Could you enlighten me as to which two? I only know of one--route 40, which comes every 30 mins during peak times and every hour off-peak.
I've got to clarify that claim. It is now only one. There were two available last year when they started running them along the Busway extension. I believe it was this one:
upload_2018-9-7_20-57-25.png
But it doesn't show it continuing to Sq One. I tried the other one not 40 last year, waited the half an hour, after getting off the 29, got to Renforth, only to find the only TTC bus ran along Eg to Spadina Subway. WTF? I ended up getting a local Miway along Dundas and Bloor to Islington, the expresses didn't stop there then.

You should consider moving to SQ1 as an alternative. It's not a bad place.
Errr...pass. What a God awful place.

That being said, decades ago, I used to "cycle out of town" along Burnhamthorpe when it was a country road! (Great route to connect through to Galt in the day) I saw this building going up in the middle of a field in the distance, thought it was a penitentiary, maybe a landing base for Zontar...only to find out years later it's Miss City Hall.

And things have gone down hill since...

On an up note, I'm still doing 100 km treks. Btw, with a treasured Brooks leather saddle (Swallow model) I also use a saddle hood on the bus rack for protection, especially in case it rains. One more thing to hassle with every time I load and unload coming into/out of Toronto living between Bloor GO Station, and Dundas West Subway Station.

I am going to challenge Metrolinx on their bylaw (2B IIRC) that indicates they have to honour GO bus transfers through Pearson. I've posted the issue in another string at this site, with the applicable clause and reference. Still considering how to stage this, or whether to just confer with their legal department. Sometimes demanding to be ticketed, and then taking it to court is the only way to get their attention...and...hrrrmppphhh...the press too.

Not allowing a transfer is an absurdity...and I'm being diplomatic. It's not only allowed from the Union end, but since it's actually backtracking, there's no additional charge Union to Bloor....but they do charge you for the added distance to Union! I also have an issue with that too according to their fare schedule, ("cheapest fare from point to point") but I digress...

Attachments

• upload_2018-9-7_20-57-25.png
    upload_2018-9-7_20-57-25.png
    338.9 KB · Views: 172
Last edited:

jys

Member Bio
Reaction score
Edit to Add: If GO won't run connecting buses from Sq One to Port Credit where one can continue heading east on the Lakeshore West service, at least inform Presto that if a passenger is using Presto to connect on Miway to PC, to allow the trip to be one continuous one on GO, plus the co-fare on Miway. I don't mind paying the co-fare if it saves over half an hour or more.
As you say, a solution would be to extend the Waterloo/Guelph bus to Port Credit GO to connect to the frequent LSW Train. I could also see an extension to Kipling via Transitway once the hub there opens.
Long story short (and I still have the letter) it hit the National Post, and suddenly I had the head of GO bus operations phoning me to apologize profusely, straighten out his department, sent me the letter, and $100 of Preto card time for my hassles.
Do you still have the link to the article?
I am going to challenge Metrolinx on their bylaw (2B IIRC) that indicates they have to honour GO bus transfers through Pearson. I've posted the issue in another string at this site, with the applicable clause and reference.
Not allowing a transfer is an absurdity...and I'm being diplomatic. It's not only allowed from the Union end, but since it's actually backtracking, there's no additional charge Union to Bloor....but they do charge you for the added distance to Union! I also have an issue with that too according to their fare schedule, ("cheapest fare from point to point") but I digress...
Yeah that doesn't make any sense. Especially since the UP Express have more capacity at the airport than Union.
Have you ever tried going to Union from SQ1 via GO bus and then back tracking along UP? If so, what what the the cost of that v.s. Miway + TTC?
If you want to go via Renforth which seems to be the cheapest option at this point, you can always take 112 + subway or Eglinton bus + Weston bus.

amnesiajune

Member Bio
Reaction score
From GO to Miway to TTC?

Excellent. Provide a reference please.

https://www.prestocard.ca/en/about/discounted-double-fare

"- When you transfer and tap on GO, your fare will be deducted and the applicable local transit co-fare discount will be applied to your PRESTO card.
"- When you tap on TTC, you’ll get a second discount and only pay $1.50 whether you’re an adult, student or senior."

I'd love to see where you read otherwise (except I assume that "provide a reference" is a rule that doesn't apply to you).

steveintoronto

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
https://www.prestocard.ca/en/about/discounted-double-fare

"- When you transfer and tap on GO, your fare will be deducted and the applicable local transit co-fare discount will be applied to your PRESTO card.
"- When you tap on TTC, you’ll get a second discount and only pay $1.50 whether you’re an adult, student or senior."

I'd love to see where you read otherwise (except I assume that "provide a reference" is a rule that doesn't apply to you).
Here's what's stated:
From local transit to GO to your final destination on TTC:

• Tap on to local transit and the regular fare will be deducted from your PRESTO card.
  • When you transfer and tap on GO, your fare will be deducted and the applicable local transit co-fare discount will be applied to your PRESTO card.
  • When you tap on TTC, you’ll get a second discount and only pay $1.50 whether you’re an adult, student or senior.
  • If you don’t have a default GO trip set on your card, be sure to tap off of GO so you’ll get the discount when you tap on TTC. Learn about setting a default for easier travel.
  • Once you tap on GO you have three hours to begin your TTC trip to get the discount.
  • That's not what I stated. I stated GO >Miway>TTC
Where does it state that?
For someone who can't read, you're pretty bold...to put it mildly.

I've already talked this through with Presto. Perhaps you'd care to straighten them out?
From GO to Miway to TTC?

Excellent. Provide a reference please.

smably

Member Bio
Reaction score
This may be of interest to some.

I live near the Dundas and Lansdowne intersection, which is currently undergoing reconstruction. I was chatting with one of the TTC workers the other day and he told me that they discovered a high pressure gas main directly under the road bed, and as a result they won't be installing the curve from westbound Dundas to northbound Lansdowne as they would have to pour concrete directly on top of it, which the city won't allow. He said that they will have to decommission and reconstruct the gas main over the course of the next year, and they will likely install the missing curve next year during the scheduled reconstruction of College/Lansdowne.

This checks out, given that I had observed that they weren't using heavy equipment on that corner and all the demolition work was being done by hand, slowly and painstakingly, by workers with jackhammers. I'm curious to see whether they're able to reopen the intersection in time. Definitely not looking forward to having the intersection ripped up again a year from now.

steveintoronto

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
I was chatting with one of the TTC workers the other day and he told me that they discovered a high pressure gas main directly under the road bed, and as a result they won't be installing the curve from westbound Dundas to northbound Lansdowne as they would have to pour concrete directly on top of it, which the city won't allow.
That is so bizarre! I also live nearby, and cycle past that junction almost daily, sometimes headed down Dundas eastbound (after walking the detour), and sometimes along College east, almost always returning westbound along College, and I'd noticed that some of the track-work wasn't being replaced, and thought to myself: "If they miss one part of the loop, then the College and Dundas cars can't loop there". What you describe would affect only the Dundas looping short on a westbound run, but still...

One then wonders: 'How in Hell did they not know about it'? And then: 'What alerted them to it before a back-hoe dug into it?"

I'll have to check that out when cycling by it tomorrow.

Last edited:

smallspy

Member Bio
Reaction score
...and they will likely install the missing curve next year during the scheduled reconstruction of College/Lansdowne.

They only redid College and Lansdowne 2 or 3 years ago. I'm pretty sure that it's not scheduled to be done again for quite some time.

Are you perhaps thinking of College and Dundas, which is scheduled to be done in the next couple of years?

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

smably

Member Bio
Reaction score
They only redid College and Lansdowne 2 or 3 years ago. I'm pretty sure that it's not scheduled to be done again for quite some time.

Are you perhaps thinking of College and Dundas, which is scheduled to be done in the next couple of years?
Yes, my mistake!

Towered

Member Bio
Reaction score

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Correction - it was done exactly a year ago.

smallspy

Member Bio
Reaction score
Correction - it was done exactly a year ago.

I thought that didn't seem a right - a friend of mine who used to work as a streetcar op gave me details about the new switches installed at that intersection while he was still working there. He's been gone for almost a year and a half now.

College and Lansdowne was done late July/early August of 2016.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

reaperexpress

Member Bio
Reaction score