News   Apr 19, 2024
 709     3 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 744     1 

TTC: Streetcar Network

From GO to Miway to TTC?

Excellent. Provide a reference please.

https://www.prestocard.ca/en/about/discounted-double-fare

"- When you transfer and tap on GO, your fare will be deducted and the applicable local transit co-fare discount will be applied to your PRESTO card.
"- When you tap on TTC, you’ll get a second discount and only pay $1.50 whether you’re an adult, student or senior."

I'd love to see where you read otherwise (except I assume that "provide a reference" is a rule that doesn't apply to you).

https://www.prestocard.ca/en/about/discounted-double-fare

"- When you transfer and tap on GO, your fare will be deducted and the applicable local transit co-fare discount will be applied to your PRESTO card.
"- When you tap on TTC, you’ll get a second discount and only pay $1.50 whether you’re an adult, student or senior."

I'd love to see where you read otherwise (except I assume that "provide a reference" is a rule that doesn't apply to you).
Here's what's stated:
From local transit to GO to your final destination on TTC:

• Tap on to local transit and the regular fare will be deducted from your PRESTO card.
  • When you transfer and tap on GO, your fare will be deducted and the applicable local transit co-fare discount will be applied to your PRESTO card.
  • When you tap on TTC, you’ll get a second discount and only pay $1.50 whether you’re an adult, student or senior.
  • If you don’t have a default GO trip set on your card, be sure to tap off of GO so you’ll get the discount when you tap on TTC. Learn about setting a default for easier travel.
  • Once you tap on GO you have three hours to begin your TTC trip to get the discount.
  • That's not what I stated. I stated GO >Miway>TTC
Where does it state that?
For someone who can't read, you're pretty bold...to put it mildly.

I've already talked this through with Presto. Perhaps you'd care to straighten them out?
From GO to Miway to TTC?

Excellent. Provide a reference please.

This may be of interest to some.

I live near the Dundas and Lansdowne intersection, which is currently undergoing reconstruction. I was chatting with one of the TTC workers the other day and he told me that they discovered a high pressure gas main directly under the road bed, and as a result they won't be installing the curve from westbound Dundas to northbound Lansdowne as they would have to pour concrete directly on top of it, which the city won't allow. He said that they will have to decommission and reconstruct the gas main over the course of the next year, and they will likely install the missing curve next year during the scheduled reconstruction of College/Lansdowne.

This checks out, given that I had observed that they weren't using heavy equipment on that corner and all the demolition work was being done by hand, slowly and painstakingly, by workers with jackhammers. I'm curious to see whether they're able to reopen the intersection in time. Definitely not looking forward to having the intersection ripped up again a year from now.

I was chatting with one of the TTC workers the other day and he told me that they discovered a high pressure gas main directly under the road bed, and as a result they won't be installing the curve from westbound Dundas to northbound Lansdowne as they would have to pour concrete directly on top of it, which the city won't allow.
That is so bizarre! I also live nearby, and cycle past that junction almost daily, sometimes headed down Dundas eastbound (after walking the detour), and sometimes along College east, almost always returning westbound along College, and I'd noticed that some of the track-work wasn't being replaced, and thought to myself: "If they miss one part of the loop, then the College and Dundas cars can't loop there". What you describe would affect only the Dundas looping short on a westbound run, but still...

One then wonders: 'How in Hell did they not know about it'? And then: 'What alerted them to it before a back-hoe dug into it?"

I'll have to check that out when cycling by it tomorrow.

Last edited:
...and they will likely install the missing curve next year during the scheduled reconstruction of College/Lansdowne.

They only redid College and Lansdowne 2 or 3 years ago. I'm pretty sure that it's not scheduled to be done again for quite some time.

Are you perhaps thinking of College and Dundas, which is scheduled to be done in the next couple of years?

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

They only redid College and Lansdowne 2 or 3 years ago. I'm pretty sure that it's not scheduled to be done again for quite some time.

Are you perhaps thinking of College and Dundas, which is scheduled to be done in the next couple of years?
Yes, my mistake!

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Correction - it was done exactly a year ago.

Correction - it was done exactly a year ago.

I thought that didn't seem a right - a friend of mine who used to work as a streetcar op gave me details about the new switches installed at that intersection while he was still working there. He's been gone for almost a year and a half now.

College and Lansdowne was done late July/early August of 2016.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Route 514 Cherry to be renamed 504A King and extended to Dundas West Station as of October 7th:
504-Explainer%20-%20504A.jpg

http://ttc.ca/Service_Advisories/504-514_route_change.jsp

This change sounds familiar to me for some reason...

Route 514 Cherry to be renamed 504A King and extended to Dundas West Station as of October 7th:

http://ttc.ca/Service_Advisories/504-514_route_change.jsp

This change sounds familiar to me for some reason...
It also lends a template to what should be the limits (at least next step) for the King St Transit Mall. (Cherry to Dufferin)

There's all sorts of reason to favour this 'double redundancy' or 'dual modular redundancy' (DMR). It's done all the time in engineering for obvious reasons, as the spine is able to be serviced still if any one of the feeders goes down. (It's actually four feeders, not two)

Thumbs up first time you posted this @reaperexpress , and thumbs up again this time.

This may be of interest to some.

I live near the Dundas and Lansdowne intersection, which is currently undergoing reconstruction. I was chatting with one of the TTC workers the other day and he told me that they discovered a high pressure gas main directly under the road bed, and as a result they won't be installing the curve from westbound Dundas to northbound Lansdowne as they would have to pour concrete directly on top of it, which the city won't allow. He said that they will have to decommission and reconstruct the gas main over the course of the next year, and they will likely install the missing curve next year during the scheduled reconstruction of College/Lansdowne.

This checks out, given that I had observed that they weren't using heavy equipment on that corner and all the demolition work was being done by hand, slowly and painstakingly, by workers with jackhammers. I'm curious to see whether they're able to reopen the intersection in time. Definitely not looking forward to having the intersection ripped up again a year from now.
Meant to post an update to this weeks back. Got talking to one of the site foremen.

The gas main is east-west, and so close to the surface that the tracks would actually be laying right on top of the pipe! The reason it's so shallow there? Because an electrical concrete conduit had to be cleared by the gas main. Solution? The gas main has to be dived under it, evidently there's no other way around it in practical terms. One tough aspect is having to build and connect the temporary bypass shunt to allow digging the present main deeper, and that's going to be by a tunneling mule so I'm told, although in the end it might be hand dug.

What I didn't realize is that the main can be seen hung off the side of the Dundas rail bridges! I always thought that was sewer, and wondered how it never froze, but of course, if it was sewer, it would have to be pumped over the bridges anyway.

Contractors, although compensated for an unforeseen complication, aren't happy. It drags out the time by quite a bit, and they have other contracts that are time sensitive waiting.

There's all sorts of reason to favour this 'double redundancy' or 'dual modular redundancy' (DMR). It's done all the time in engineering for obvious reasons, as the spine is able to be serviced still if any one of the feeders goes down. (It's actually four feeders, not two)

Thumbs up first time you posted this @reaperexpress , and thumbs up again this time.

Thanks to @reaperexpress for explaining the advantages of this arrangement; I didn’t understand what was the reasoning behind this change until reading that earlier post.

Back