News   Apr 19, 2024
 95     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 751     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 7.4K     2 

TTC: Streetcar Network

F.Y.I. for the above map, the term "jitney" is defined as: "a small bus or car following a regular route along which it picks up and discharges passengers, originally charging each passenger five cents." Today, they could be called "Uber", but without the cell phone. They were some of the competition for public transit, whence the monopoly laws we have for the TTC today.

That looks like the same plan as I post. Pretty much right along the track ROW, through all those treees ...

This is my fantasy streetcar map.
TE8irzG.png

Fantasy indeed and you forget the 504 - the City's busiest route.
Not an oversight, but choice. I chose to retire the 504 King as the DRL is likely to be aligned on Roncesvalles, so I see no need to double the road with both streetcar and subway. Same reason the 502 Downtowner is not listed as most of the route would be taken up by the Queen-aligned DRL.

I don't support any more streetcar routes unless they get protected lanes and true signaling priority.

I like the idea of a streetcar line in it's own ROW on Queensway, connecting Sherway with the Humber loop. I think that would do wonders for redevelopment of the Queensway corridor.

I also think that St. Clair should be extended west to Jane, and east to Mount Pleasant and then north to Lawrence, in order to migrate some of the 'local' trips along the Yonge line over to Mount Pleasant.

An Ossington streetcar route from say Exhibition/CAMH area north to Ossington Station would be nice. As would a Coxwell line from Queen north to O'Conner.

I would suggest that Dufferin be reserved for it's own LRT line.

Finally, restoring a Junction streetcar line would be amazing, as that community is your quintessential streetcar boulevard, minus an actual streetcar.

Fantasy indeed.

In addition to liking a lot of the proposals (some fantasy, some like extending St. Clair and QQE somewhat more likely) already listed in this thread, my fantasy streetcar network would include the following two additional line extensions:

1) Restore St. Clair east of Yonge and up Mount Pleasant to the Mount Pleasant stop on the Crosstown LRT

2) 511 Bathurst extended not just to St. Clair West, but then further north-west along Vaughan Street to the Dufferin stop on the Crosstown LRT.

My fantasy streetcar route change is the most modest of all: swap the western ends of the 514 and the 504. This is intended to reduce the track capacity issues at Dundas West and Broadview, improve passenger distribution between the 514 and the 504, and improve line management by equalizing headways.

Current King streetcar services
504Reconfig1.png

Proposed King streetcar services
504Reconfig2.png

Overnight service would continue to operate from Dundas West to Broadview as it does today.
504Reconfig3.png

Dundas West / Broadview station capacity
Dundas West and Broadview stations both have capacity issues, with streetcars sometimes backing up down the street as the platforms are occupied. This is because of the recovery time that needs to be included within the schedule to account for variation in the travel time over the long and busy route. Meanwhile, Dufferin and Distillery loops have plenty of spare capacity, with less frequent service on a route which travels a shorter distance. By swapping the branches, the service operating out of Dundas West and Broadview now cover a smaller distance, which means there is less chance of delay and therefore less need for recovery time in those busy stations.

Passenger Distribution
In general, the 504 tends to be crammed through the combined section, while the 514 runs fairly empty. Besides the obvious difference that the 514 uses 30-metre low-floor streetcars while the 504 uses 15-metre CLRVs, this is also due to the fact there are many places on 504 that are not on the 514, but not many places on the 514 that are not also on the 504. Swapping the branches would help equalize the ridership between the 504 and the 514.

Allow for headway management
Currently during peak periods the 514 Cherry operates every 7.5 minutes, while the 504 runs every 4 minutes. This makes headway management pretty much impossible - if you equalized headways on the separate segments, they would be sporadic on the combined section, and if you evened the headways on the combined segment, they would be uneven on the separate segment. Once both routes are running 30-metre streetcars they could run the same headway (every 6 minutes?), allowing the combined segment to also run at an even headway (every 3 minutes?). Headways could then be managed in the combined section without screwing up the headways on the separate sections.

Conclusion
The drawback of this configuration is that it requires more streetcars than the current arrangement given that it provides slightly excessive capacity along the route of the current 514. So it wouldn't make any sense until the streetcar fleet is back up to full numbers. But once the streetcar fleet is restocked, this change could be a worthwhile investment to improve the practical capacity and reliability along the city's busiest streetcar corridor.

Attachments

• 504Reconfig1.png
    504Reconfig1.png
    18.7 KB · Views: 1,199
  • 504Reconfig2.png
    504Reconfig2.png
    19.7 KB · Views: 1,183
  • 504Reconfig3.png
    504Reconfig3.png
    16.5 KB · Views: 1,169
Last edited:
I like the idea of a streetcar line in it's own ROW on Queensway, connecting Sherway with the Humber loop. I think that would do wonders for redevelopment of the Queensway corridor.
[snip] As would a Coxwell line from Queen north to O'Conner.
I think the problem with the Queensway line is that we haven't done it already, allowing the redevelopment already occurring along the line to happen in the context of light rail. I think there would have to be consideration of car storage in the area to serve Long Branch and Sherway runs rather than try and run everything from Roncesvalles.

While a Coxwell extension is frequently discussed and would be personally welcome to me, there are some significant challenges both south and north of Danforth, and construction disruption to East General would likely be resented given that by the time any such line happened TEGH would likely have recently emerged for a lengthy redevelopment/disruption. Also, the recent item at TTC about Danforth Garage makes me think the possibility to create a loop there with a tunnel connection to Coxwell Station is about to vanish.

My fantasy streetcar route change is the most modest of all: swap the western ends of the 514 and the 504. This is intended to reduce the track capacity issues at Dundas West and Broadview, improve passenger distribution between the 514 and the 504, and improve line management by equalizing headways.
Not a bad idea, though turning the 504 at Sumach/Cherry (Distillery) would prevent an easy transfer from it to the eastbound 501 Queen car for those going further east. (A solution would be allowing a (short) walking transfer on Sumach between King and Queen.) You talk of route management ("Headways could then be managed in the combined section without screwing up the headways on the separate sections.") - frankly the existing arrangements would work far better if the TTC actually HAD any route management!

Not a bad idea, though turning the 504 at Sumach/Cherry (Distillery) would prevent an easy transfer from it to the eastbound 501 Queen car for those going further east. (A solution would be allowing a (short) walking transfer on Sumach between King and Queen.) You talk of route management ("Headways could then be managed in the combined section without screwing up the headways on the separate sections.") - frankly the existing arrangements would work far better if the TTC actually HAD any route management!

True. People starting from King Street west of Dufferin and travelling to Queen Street east of Broadview would no longer have a direct link to the 501. On the other hand, people starting on Dufferin Street south of King Street now have a direct link to the east 501 that they didn't have before. I don't know which trip pattern would be more common. A walking transfer would work, though honestly it's frustrating that we still have a fare system that has such complicated conditions rather than just a 2h timed transfer.

The TTC does have route management on the 504, but my point is that even when everything is on time, there is still bunching because the headways aren't even.

Quick question on TTC streetcar operations. Is the 509 starting to use pantographs on the Flexities tomorrow? I stumbled upon this video from Drum stating that they will.

"Starting September 12, Route 509 will start using Pantograph Once it enter service At CNE loop. Cars will have to change to poles at CNE when going out of service. Since neither King or Queen St 100% converted to the new system, poles have to be use until they are converted. Supposed to be done in 2016 and looks like 2018 now."

Back