News   Apr 18, 2024
 422     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 3.1K     1 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 2.1K     4 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

"Ontario's Government for the People" Yikes...of course, the proof of the pudding is in the tasting. The ghost trains were clear indications of this coming.

What intrigues me most is if the emphasis will continue to be on GO rather than "subways, subways, subways".

• 27 new train trips on GO Lakeshore East, an increase of 21 per cent, which will double midday, weekday service between Oshawa and Union. This brings the line to 15-minute midday service frequency.
  • 17 new weekday train trips on GO Lakeshore West, with six trips during rush hour and 11 in the midday period between Oakville and Union Station, representing a new train every hour. This is an increase of 50 per cent more midday trains and nearly 14 per cent overall.
While fantastic for Lakeshore midday travellers -- and brings metro frequencies to Lakeshore East -- this creates a potential new asymmetry between East/West.
i.e. Which are through trains?

Over the long term, they will certainly do Aldershot-to-Oshawa at 15min, but it is interesting to see the (temporary) asymmetry caused by infrastructure considerations/constraints.

Over the long term, they will certainly do Aldershot-to-Oshawa at 15min, but it is interesting to see the (temporary) asymmetry caused by infrastructure considerations/constraints.
That was my reaction too. This may be more of a paper exercise than a practical one, and indicates more toward the need for getting RER (in actuality) up and running for the frequent mid-day service.

The added run from Malton is a bit of a puzzler. I'm stifling myself from blurting out 'UPX extended' as a way to handle that better, but I digress...

What's required on LSW to do the same (15m)?

Merely get the current round of construction done?

Get the new service track in place from Willowbrook to Union?

Surely they don't need track 4 yet.

At least to get to Oakville.

I take as a given they do require an extra track beyond Oakville.

Just checked it out to be sure.

The DRT routes that serve Whitby and Ajax GO are both scheduled as 30m weekday, mid-day.

That really diminishes the value of the service improvement if your train disembarks and your then waiting 30m for a bus.

and rename it to MetroLakeshoreLinx
It's too soon. There has to be a substantial change to delivery of the service for a name change, or 'name change fatigue' sets in very quickly.

As it is, I have to question how much rolling stock is available to support doing this without a major modal change to the promised 'RER' model.

This is just the "Expanded GO" that @alexanderglista points out in prior posts. Save the name changes for when something major changes.

It's too soon. There has to be a substantial change to delivery of the service for a name change, or 'name change fatigue' sets in very quickly.

As it is, I have to question how much rolling stock is available to support doing this without a major modal change to the promised 'RER' model.

This is just the "Expanded GO" that @alexanderglista points out in prior posts. Save the name changes for when something major changes.
I was just mocking their over focus on Lakeshore Lines

The DRT routes that serve Whitby and Ajax GO are both scheduled as 30m weekday, mid-day.

That really diminishes the value of the service improvement if your train disembarks and your then waiting 30m for a bus.
And those are just two examples. That applies to the whole shebang. It's not an improvement unless it meshes with greater service along the routes.

What's happening now appears to be plugging any holes that can be found, effective or not. This is throwing crumbs to those that need a slice of bread or more. In a few instances, it might alleviate overcrowding, but this is tantamount to tweaking, not real change.

upload_2018-9-20_10-28-43.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-9-20_10-28-43.png
    upload_2018-9-20_10-28-43.png
    94.4 KB · Views: 316

in Brampton we have the opposite problem....we have buses arriving at GO stations every 5-10 minutes but the next train is, well, tomorrow ;)

News Release

Ontario's Government for the People Announces Largest GO Train Service Increase in Five Years
September 20, 2018

Adds 400,000 more train seats every week for people in the GTHA
TORONTO — Ontario's Government for the People is keeping its promise to get people moving faster by adding GO train service to reduce congestion in the Greater Toronto and Hamilton Area.

Today John Yakabuski, Minister of Transportation, announced the largest GO service increase in five years. Starting September 24, travelers on the Lakeshore corridors will have access to 220 new trips per week, an increase of nearly 18 per cent.

"Your government is making life easier for those travelling within the GTHA," said Minister Yakabuski. "We are making GO trains run more frequently and increasing seat capacity — more than 400,000 additional train seats will be available every week. This will bring immediate relief to the thousands of travelers who use GO Transit in the area."

Travelers on the GO Lakeshore corridors will benefit from:

• 27 new train trips on GO Lakeshore East, an increase of 21 per cent, which will double midday, weekday service between Oshawa and Union. This brings the line to 15-minute midday service frequency.
  • 17 new weekday train trips on GO Lakeshore West, with six trips during rush hour and 11 in the midday period between Oakville and Union Station, representing a new train every hour. This is an increase of 50 per cent more midday trains and nearly 14 per cent overall.

"With hundreds of new trips between our busy morning and evening peak travel periods, we're taking the thinking out of travelling — whether travelling east or west, from dawn to dusk," said Phil Verster, President and CEO of Metrolinx. "Our customers along the Lakeshore lines can leave their schedules behind and just GO for much of the day."

Additional service improvements include:

• On the Kitchener line, GO is adding a new morning, rush hour train trip from Malton GO to Union Station. GO will also increase seat capacity on two morning and two evening peak trips that originate and end at Kitchener GO, expanding the length of the train from 10 to 12 cars.
  • GO bus customers now have a new bus stop at Highway 404 and Major Mackenzie in Richmond Hill. Customers will see more than 180 new weekly bus trips across the region.

"Your government is making sure the people of Ontario have a safe and efficient transportation network," said Minister Yakabuski "Our plan to get people moving includes delivering two-way, all-day GO service. We look forward to improving the transit experience for all Ontarians."
Two questions:

1) so service on LSW and LSE remain at every 30 minutes on weekends?
2) is that extra train on Kitchener in addition to the one that started running a couple of weeks ago or is it just a re-announcement of something that has already been announced and is in fact already running?

Back