News   Sep 26, 2024
 329     0 
News   Sep 26, 2024
 877     3 
News   Sep 26, 2024
 603     0 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

I'm curious about the points against Adam. While he doesn't have much transit operational experience, he does have quite a bit of experience (albeit overseas) in transportation policy and infrastructure planning and management. Considering he also works with people, it does have transferrable skills to C-suite executive roles.

I know Adam G........

Nice enough guy, generally. Very pro transit, its a passion.

What I like about him in this context is he has a better read on what customers/riders may appreciate than many who come up through the 'system'.

However, he has two clear weak points in my mind. The first is that he's not really a 'sweat the details' kind of guy. You can see this in the renovation of Dufferin Station of which he was a champion. He recognized that it was dreary, and could use a facelift; but that was then done on the cheap, and left most people feeling it wasn't much of an improvement except for the entry pavilion at grade.

The second thing I would say..........is his political skills aren't as good as they should be. He's a very self-confident guy, that part is fine, nothing wrong w/that at all. But it can lead to Adam talking down to people as if he's quite sure that other people just couldn't possibly understand transit (or whatever) as well as he does.

I'm quite sure he doesn't realize he's doing it.........that is a problem.

I know Adam G........

What I like about him in this context is he has a better read on what customers/riders may appreciate than many who come up through the 'system'.

However, he has two clear weak points in my mind. The first is that he's not really a 'sweat the details' kind of guy. You can see this in the renovation of Dufferin Station of which he was a champion. He recognized that it was dreary, and could use a facelift; but that was then done on the cheap, and left most people feeling it wasn't much of an improvement except for the entry pavilion at grade.

The second thing I would say..........is his political skills aren't as good as they should be. He's a very self-confident guy, that part is fine, nothing wrong w/that at all. But it can lead to Adam talking down to people as if he's quite sure that other people just couldn't possibly understand transit (or whatever) as well as he does.

I'm glad you agree talking down to others isn't ideal. I'm happy we're looking at candidates who actually care about and understand the system

I don't understand UT's obsession with Adam Giambrone. The guy left Toronto disgraced in scandal and has since been working in Saudi Arabia on NEOM (the linear futuristic city that has basically ended up being a huge bust).

The TTC is not going to go for someone like that. There are many more potential names in North America that they probably will place atop the list (i.e. Collie who is ex-TTC and is now running MARTA in Atlanta), but I would love if they could look globally to Europe and Asia for someone who understands how to do things to a higher standard.

There are many more potential names in North America that they probably will place atop the list (i.e. Collie who is ex-TTC and is now running MARTA in Atlanta),

Uhhh?

Josh Colle works for the TTC currently, not Atlanta, and he has never run MARTA

I don't understand UT's obsession with Adam Giambrone. The guy left Toronto disgraced in scandal and has since been working in Saudi Arabia on NEOM (the linear futuristic city that has basically ended up being a huge bust).
Don't forget that he also "consulted on" a failed transit line in NYC right after leaving Toronto. I don't think he has ever actually managed anything of note. He clearly drafted his own Wikipedia page and can't even say anything of note about what he's done after leaving Toronto.

@duffo and @Coolibop

I had almost forgotten about Collie Greenwood...... all the discussion lately of Josh Colle thad me thinking that was who was meant, my bad.

Interesting thought.

Any insights on his track record in Atlanta?

I know he's a nice guy..........and competent. But I wonder if he's the right change-agent? (he might be, I'm just not sure)

Collie Greenwood literally started from the bottom as a summer student and worked his way up the ranks at TTC. Starting in the1980s and was part of the upper management team with Andy Byford team. And played a very important role in customer service. Really helped Andy Buford execute his goals for TTC. He's definitely way more qualified than Adam Giambrone.

He's doing very well with MARTA Atlanta. But as mentioned previously, I'm not sure if he's the right move for TTC at this current time. But I would definitely take him as my top 3 for next CEO. Anyone that's good with Andy Byford with that proven history should be considered.

Kirsten Watson is another , many would say is more qualified than Rick Leary. And also had many roles under Andy Byford and Rick Leary. In charge of many departments, and is highly respected. Plus a female, which will represent the majority of TTCs customers. She also takes transit from what I've heard from many TTC employees.

I've heard the name of Jim Ross as well, many would say he was expected to take over from Leary. But clearly that's not the case. He was deputy CEO as well under Leary and worked his way up from operator. And in charge of many departments.

The next CEO should focus on operational efficiency, and the only people that would understand that are individuals that's moved up the ranks at TTC that know every corner of the organization.

But I hardly doubt TTC will look for a CEO from within TTC. Last and only time I can think of where they hired from within the ranks of TTC was Gary Webster in 2006.

I do hope this time they find a Canadian. So many opportunities for home grown qualified individuals, instead of looking outside the country. They would have a better time relating to customers and expectations.

I know Adam G........

Sounds like a lot of UTers. Talking down and not realizing it. Lol

I mean he was elected twice as councilor if I remember correctly. So he can't be that bad. I do hear what your saying about some of his weak points. But many times ppl will follow a confident person than a knowledgeable person. There studies out there about that. You can be the dumbest person, but someone's confidence can get them jobs and a following. Now how that transfers over to being CEO of TTC is another matter.

Based on your previous responses, he won't be up for the job anyways. So we'll never know.

But I'm curious to know the name you've heard floating around about the next CEO.

But I'm curious to know the name you've heard floating around about the next CEO.

Interim CEO.

I have yet to hear anything definitive on the permanent position.

Adam, so far as I know, was in Saudi Arabia yesterday, so not in town for the interviews for the interim job.

Adam certainly may be a candidate for the permanent job, but I don't have good intel on that yet.

The bus loop at Greenwood appears ready to be opened.

20240830_161217.jpg
20240830_161141.jpg

@duffo and @Coolibop

I had almost forgotten about Collie Greenwood...... all the discussion lately of Josh Colle thad me thinking that was who was meant, my bad.

Interesting thought.

Any insights on his track record in Atlanta?

I know he's a nice guy..........and competent. But I wonder if he's the right change-agent? (he might be, I'm just not sure)
I'm not sure how he's doing there, but my point was UT obsesses over the politician-type CEO candidates (Giambrone, Colle) when there are likely dozens of CEO-type CEO candidates out there that you would know from being in the industry. As @RapidTransit mentioned, a few at the TTC included - although Leary caused a lot of the best upper management to pack up and find new jobs.

I'm not sure how he's doing there, but my point was UT obsesses over the politician-type CEO candidates (Giambrone, Colle) when there are likely dozens of CEO-type CEO candidates out there that you would know from being in the industry. As @RapidTransit mentioned, a few at the TTC included - although Leary caused a lot of the best upper management to pack up and find new jobs.
I don't think it's as much obsession as it is resignation that it's simply how the game works in Toronto.

I'm not sure how he's doing there, but my point was UT obsesses over the politician-type CEO candidates (Giambrone, Colle)

I think, if you're fair, most UT'ers are not in the transit industry and don't know players who aren't high profile. UT'ers discuss the candidates (or apparent candidates) of whom they are aware.

I myself am not in the industry, I am a reasonably keen TTC follower and somewhat knowledgeable from a distance, as a lay person about the broader sector.

But i would rely on those to whom I talk, in the industry, to get a feel for who may, or who should be, in the running.

When I'm given such info, I share, if I've been told I can; but in some cases, there's a desire to keep that quiet, for now, understandably, because most potential candidates are gainfully employed elsewhere, and don't want their employer tipped off on a potential exit.

when there are likely dozens of CEO-type CEO candidates out there that you would know from being in the industry. As @RapidTransit mentioned, a few at the TTC included - although Leary caused a lot of the best upper management to pack up and find new jobs.

Dozens seems a bit ambitious. But you may know better than I. I would tend to think you would want a candidate with experience running a subway/metro, typically, and one with experience with a large'ish system, and then a solid rep for getting (good) things done.

I'm sure the list is quite deep if you consider any candidate w/the above experience, but if you add fluent in English and willing to relocate to Toronto, I expect the list is a bit smaller.

FWIW, for interim CEO, to my understanding, only 3 people were interviewed. Now, that's a much less attractive offer than the permanent job..........

Back