News   Sep 06, 2024
 812     2 
News   Sep 06, 2024
 1.1K     7 
News   Sep 06, 2024
 519     0 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

A great interview! Touches on Andy Byford's job history at various transit systems and more.

Some interesting things he talks about:
  • The TTC is the best transit system in the world
  • I like to go somewhere where there is a big mess or challenge
  • [When I arrived at the TTC] the stations looked like they haven't been cleaned in months
  • You cannot run a transit system behind a desk
  • You must back your frontline colleagues
  • I will always love the people there [Toronto/TTC]
  • I loved Rob ford .... outstanding councilor....got his basics right...I'm honored and proud to have met the man and I know his brother
Years (35+) of public service in transit, he wanted to do something for his wife (she kept following where he was going)...she was still in New York hence why he moved to Amtrak.

He often mentioned wanting to do something different - I get the sense he is often on the move and always wanting to try new things...He also talks about wanting to be in roles for about 3-5 years...so before you all wish he were the new CEO for the TTC, he's only been with Amtrak for just over a year and a half...some final quotes:

"It would really take me something persuasive to get me to leave Amtrak...[I want to end my career] here at Amtrak"
"It would take something very very special [to take on something else]"
"We bought a beautiful home [in Florida]"
"I'm hoping...that my last day on the job [career?] would be stepping off a Shinkansen on either Dallas or Houston..."

Andy is coming up on 60 years old.

Reactions: PL1

Back