News   Nov 20, 2019
 266     0 
News   Nov 20, 2019
 1.2K     0 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

Reecemartin

Member Bio
Reaction score
In September I had a really exciting opportunity to attend the opening event of the Thales Global Urban Rail Signaling Showroom (they created the signaling system for the SRT and the Vancouver SkyTrain), and I saw some cool technology and history of their rail signaling systems! Enjoy the video:

JasonParis

Member Bio
Reaction score
In other parts of the world, people are used to pressing the button on the tram (streetcar) door to open them, both inside and outside. Here, we still wait for the operator to open the door for us. Not for much longer, I hope. Why open the doors in the heat of summer or the cold of winter, when no one is getting on or off.
I hate when streetcars are dwelling at loops too, such as Broadview, and the operator just keeps all doors open for five minutes as they take their break. It a waste of climate control and makes the customers uncomfortable. Those buttons are there for a reason.

Richard White

Member Bio
Reaction score
I hate when streetcars are dwelling at loops too, such as Broadview, and the operator just keeps all doors open for five minutes as they take their break. It a waste of climate control and makes the customers uncomfortable. Those buttons are there for a reason.
GO does this late at night over at Union Station with the exception of the handicap coach.

Northern Light

Member Bio
Reaction score
From Steve Munro's Twitter..............service on the O'Connor 70 is so bad, it stunned even him.

Service gaps up to 2 full hours!

While the TTC does need more money; this does not help its case at all, when this is what you allow w/what you have.

smallspy

Member Bio
Reaction score
From Steve Munro's Twitter..............service on the O'Connor 70 is so bad, it stunned even him.

Service gaps up to 2 full hours!

While the TTC does need more money; this does not help its case at all, when this is what you allow w/what you have.
This is pretty common to both the 70 and the 91 & 93. The section of O'Connor between Woodbine and St. Clair has become a huge problem over the past 5 or 6 years or so, and it isn't uncommon to have buses take 15 minutes to pass through that stretch. The 93 bus - 1 bus scheduled on a 24 minute headway/roundtrip - regularly misses 2 or 3 trips on Saturdays and Sundays and so is technically running between 48 and 72 late at the end of the day.

Dan

Northern Light

Member Bio
Reaction score
This is pretty common to both the 70 and the 91 & 93. The section of O'Connor between Woodbine and St. Clair has become a huge problem over the past 5 or 6 years or so, and it isn't uncommon to have buses take 15 minutes to pass through that stretch. The 93 bus - 1 bus scheduled on a 24 minute headway/roundtrip - regularly misses 2 or 3 trips on Saturdays and Sundays and so is technically running between 48 and 72 late at the end of the day.

Dan
I drive that stretch regularly, outside of rush hour I never recall it being so jammed as to cause delays of that magnitude.....

Also, Steve's analysis shows buses leaving Coxwell Stn in pairs or triplets. No real excuse for that!

smallspy

Member Bio
Reaction score
I drive that stretch regularly, outside of rush hour I never recall it being so jammed as to cause delays of that magnitude.....
Middays and evenings during the week, it's not that bad. And during rush hours, the schedule has allowed for at least much of the congestion.

When it gets spectacularly bad is on weekends.

Dan

Coolstar

Member Bio
Reaction score

Amare

Member Bio
Reaction score
And this is exactly why people cry wolf when the TTC begs for more money through fare increases. They cant even adequately manage the resources they have now as they screw around with riders through lack of proper route management.

Time and time again, throughout the city there are routes that get so screwed up its simply astonishing. I can assure people that at least 20% of the routes in this city operate with route management issues. Off the top of my head, here are a few that i'll share:

1) 44 Kipling South
2) 52 Lawrence West
3) 17 Birchmount (no the Crosstown has nothing to do with its issues)
4) 68 Warden (no the Crosstown has nothing to do with its issues)
5) 95 York Mills
6) 110 Islington South
7) 45 Kipling
etc...

The list really goes on, and on. Bottom line is, line management is atrocious at the TTC. They know it, we know it, and they know we know it but they wont do anything to address it because management couldnt care less and are inept. Heck the some of the good operators even complain about it, but they still wont address the issues. Of course there are other operators who contribute to the issue and compound it by screwing around and knowing that they'll get away with it.

Last edited:

Richard White

Member Bio
Reaction score
3) 17 Birchmount (no the Crosstown has nothing to do with its issues)
This route has been screwed up ever since they got rid of the 17C Birchmount Express in the 1990s. I take it daily and it is not uncommon to have major delays in bad weather or for the buses to arrive 10 minutes early and sit there.

During the recent schedule change the buses went from relatively empty to standing load.

More buses are needed in addition to route management.