2.3K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 555     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.2K     1 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

This is genuinely offensive as a post.

Your language is so extreme; suicide?

You realize if you read by post properly that any student would find the pass cheaper than 40 rides (going to school every day) now; right?

Same for seniors.

You're welcome to disagree with my proposal; but to cast aspersions about my background and to reach so far as a modest change in concessions in fares inducing suicide is just gross.

Additionally, for the record, I grew up in a single-parent household, where money was tight, and was the first in my family to graduate HS, never mind Uni, not that that info was any of your business.

My proposed changes would make it cheaper for anyone who goes to school full-time or works full-time; something.

Before you go casting aspersions, kindly read the post you seek to critique properly; and don't imply a lack of social conscience about a person you've never met without extraordinary cause.

Finally, don't absurdly exaggerate, it reduces rather than increases the quality of your argument.

Edit to add: In respect of seniors, a subject with which I also have great familiarity; I don't suppose you considered that it would more efficient to raise OAS/GIS than to the subsidize transit fares?
Lots of kids are doing online school now so they might only be at school 3 days a week. They're also getting on the bus on mass without paying fully knowing that the driver doesn't care most of the time and that they as a crowd can bypass fare inspectors. Fares have gotten out of hand and the TTC has little to show for it. If the TTC doesn't care, why should its riders?

Your language is so extreme; suicide?

You realize if you read my post properly that any student would find the pass cheaper than 40 rides (going to school every day) now; right?
The problem with this mindset is that a lot of low-income people cannot afford to shell out even 110 dollars at the beginning of every month to use the system, especially if they're living paycheck to paycheck, or (in the case of gig jobs), day to day. They rely on being able to afford cheap fares whenever they may need to use the system.

While suicide may seem extreme, it's not unheard of. Look at the veteran crisis in the US. I personally have known people that have taken their lives because they can't work, and therefore, afford to live due to injuries, preexisting conditions, a lack of a fair pension, etc. The same happens to a lot of seniors. They are in a physical state where they can't work and often don't have generous pensions (which you really need to live in this city).

The problem with this mindset is that a lot of low-income people cannot afford to shell out even 110 dollars at the beginning of every month to use the system, especially if they're living paycheck to paycheck, or (in the case of gig jobs), day to day. They rely on being able to afford cheap fares whenever they may need to use the system.

While suicide may seem extreme, it's not unheard of. Look at the veteran crisis in the US. I personally have known people that have taken their lives because they can't work, and therefore, afford to live due to injuries, preexisting conditions, a lack of a fair pension, etc. The same happens to a lot of seniors. They are in a physical state where they can't work and often don't have generous pensions (which you really need to live in this city).

Anyone who can't afford a single fare, under $3, is also unable to afford dental care; prescriptions, medical devices, rent, food etc.

That's worse than tragic (genuinely), but deciding for this person, that will will allow a fare .70c cheaper (which presumes they can afford $2.20) does very little for them, and that benefit isn't transferable to any of the other needs they may have.

Further, we don't extend that benefit to low-income adults; many of whom are the parents of those receiving youth discounts, and would likely come out ahead the type of change I envision.

I am fully supportive of more generous CPP/OAS/GIS, in part by raising the retirement age to 68-70 (as the Scandinavian countries have done).

This would allow us to bump income replacement from as little as 39% today (currently being raised to 47%); to in the range of 60% which would greatly reduce poverty in the retiree group.

I'm also for substantially higher social assistance benefits (though partially offset by higher rents for public housing).

I also support more comprehensive universal healthcare that covers prescriptions and dental.

The issue in the case of concession fares is doing relatively little, mostly for people who don't need it (seniors are our societies wealthiest demographic overall), and at the cost of efficiency, while also managing to be very prescriptive.

We can further suppress (lower) any non-age discrimination fare, beyond the number I quoted, but that would require a greater subsidy to achieve. I'm not convinced that's where the money ought to go to help societie's neediest.

TTC service adjustments over the holidays

December 19, 2019

Throughout the holidays, the TTC will run on modified schedules. Customers are advised to visit https://nam12.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=www.ttc.ca&data=02%7C01%7C%7C81fc04fd19704704a3c108d784a0aae0%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C637123697894743096&sdata=F7ZWBslqFSwZTMAsGlnaGcvuzI6oKsBcZOTtn3hZGxg%3D&reserved=0 for the most up to date information.

Christmas Day - Wed., Dec. 25
- Regular Sunday service.
- Subway service and most routes start at 8 a.m.

Boxing Day - Thurs., Dec. 26
- Subway, streetcar and bus service will operate on a holiday schedule.
- Subway service starts at 6 a.m.

Fri., Dec. 27, Sat., Dec. 28
- Regular weekday/Saturday service with reduced peak period service on most routes.
- Subway service and most routes start at 6 a.m.

New Year's Eve - Tues., Dec. 31
- Ride free from 7 p.m. to 7 a.m. Jan. 1 courtesy of Corby Spirit and Wine.

During these hours, PRESTO customers should not tap their cards when boarding a bus or streetcar, or entering a subway station. Anyone tapping accidentally will be refunded within approximately two business days.

New Year's Eve subway service
- Line 1 Yonge-University: Last trains leave Union Station at 3:30 a.m. for Finch Station and 3:34 a.m. for Vaughan Metropolitan Centre Station.

Last train south from Finch Station to Union Station departs at 3:05 a.m., and south from Vaughan Metropolitan Centre Station to Union Station at 2:49 a.m.

The last northbound train on Line 1 will connect at Bloor-Yonge Station with the last eastbound and westbound trains on Line 2 Bloor-Danforth at 3:37 a.m., and at Sheppard-Yonge Station with the last eastbound train on Line 4 Sheppard at 3:57 a.m.

- Line 3 Scarborough: Last eastbound train will leave Kennedy Station at 4:05 a.m. for McCowan Station.

Most bus and streetcar routes that usually run after midnight will be extended until 4 a.m.

New Year's Eve surface route changes:

- 501 Queen will divert both ways via King St., Spadina Ave. and Church St. after 5 p.m.
- 6 Bay bus will also divert in both directions after 5 p.m.

New Year's Day - Wed., Jan. 1, 2020
- Subway and most routes start at 8 a.m.
- Ride free until 7 a.m. Jan. 1 courtesy of Corby Spirit and Wine.

Regular TTC service will resume Thurs., Jan. 2 at 6 a.m.

For more information on the TTC's holiday service schedule, visit the holiday feature on ttc.ca.

New Year's Day - Wed., Jan. 1, 2020
- Subway and most routes start at 8 a.m.
- Ride free until 7 a.m. Jan. 1 courtesy of Corby Spirit and Wine.

Any idea why the subway closes at 7 am and opens 1 hour later at 8 am? It may be for service build up but really it makes no sense to close it for an hour.

Any idea why the subway closes at 7 am and opens 1 hour later at 8 am? It may be for service build up but really it makes no sense to close it for an hour.
For new years, they always close around 3:30am.

In the past, they have done Nuit Blanche closure at 7am and reopen at 8am. Probably to give maintenance a quick hour to do any quick patching.

Another rant.

Well Saturday night was a disaster.

Closure from Bloor to Union? fine, I'll schlep over to Sherbourne and take a Sherbourne bus down.

Screenshot_20191221-184015 (2).png

WTF?!? No no.. it can't be. I'm sure there is a bus further up the line that has its GPS thingy off....
About 10 minutes later and no sign of improvement. Bus stop is getting a little crowded and I am worried the time it does arrive it is going to be a sardine can of angry sardines. I walk for half an hour!

How many buses do you think passed me? zero!
How many buses did I see come in the other direction, at least 4! I really wish the 75 Sherbourne motorcade was heading in my direction!

Screenshot_20191221-191056 (2).png

There you have it. Didn't need you, TTC! And look, the * on the ETA means it still has not left the beginning of the route!

So I was out for a stroll on Line 2 and I've noticed the audible announcements on the T1s sound very low quality unlike the Toronto Rockets. They should fix the problem hopefully cause im sure passengers will have a tough time listening to those announcements on a trip downtown.

So I was out for a stroll on Line 2 and I've noticed the audible announcements on the T1s sound very low quality unlike the Toronto Rockets. They should fix the problem hopefully cause im sure passengers will have a tough time listening to those announcements on a trip downtown.
I have a strong hunch that the reason for that is because the TTC probably installed some cheap speakers that break up only after a few weeks of use.

I notice in the Toronto Rockets that the screens that primarily display the levels of government that fund the trains now also display that Twitter thing that is already there for many years. Twitter is over a decade old and the TTC thinks that it's new.

To be fair... those signs are pointless. They need to display relevant information like when there is a delay. The trains are already old enough that nobody gives a flying .... about who paid for them. Time for relevant information or perhaps a hypnotoad.

Back