News   Mar 28, 2024
 53     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 215     0 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 2.2K     1 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

Why are TTC stations looking so awful? Missing tiles, exposed pipes irking riders

Unsightly station work for accessibility, safety projects, TTC board member explains.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toro...g-tiles-exposed-pipes-irking-riders-1.5390087

There really is no excuse, and I don't buy the one in the article, for the long delay in getting tile back up and QP and St. Patrick.

Its been down for upwards of 2 years.

You could have tile custom made and put back one at a time, by one person, one day a week and have it back up by now.

The TTC has all sorts of other small sections of station work that needs doing, that are either 1/2 done or just neglected.

Think lighting over the escalator at Dundas Stn going up to the NB platform. The excuse there initially was that it was old incandescent lighting the TTC didn't stock anymore; and later just about the hassle of doing work over
escalators.

Spare Bulbs, new Fixtures.....etc....... but no...

Or the one section of ceiling not redone at Y-B over the escalators (at this point might as well leave that for the big expansion project.....)

At Main they jury-rigged power to a shelter on the streetcar platform by removing part of the overhead lighting in the bus terminal.....more than 20 years ago.

Looks terrible, they've never addressed that that is in no way appropriate, and I'm honestly not sure if its to code either.

Last edited:
There really is no excuse, and I don't buy the one in the article, for the long delay in getting tile back up and QP and St. Patrick.

You could have tile custom made and put back one at a time, by one person, one day a week and have it back up by now.

The TTC has all sorts of other small sections of station work that need doing, that are either 1/2 done or just neglected.

Think lighting over the escalator at Dundas Stn going up to the NB platform. The excuse there initially was that it was old incandescent lighting the TTC didn't stock anymore; and later just about the hassle of doing work over
escalators.

Or the one section of ceiling not redone at Y-B over the escalators (at this point might as well leave that for the big expansion project.....)

At Main they jury-rigged power to a shelter on the streetcar platform by removing part of the overhead lighting in the bus terminal.....more than 20 years ago.

Looks terrible, they've never addressed that that is no way appropriate, and I'm honestly not sure if its to code either.
About 3 years ago the TTC put up new streetcar poles on King Street between Bay and York . It took until a few months ago for them to finish off the job by filling in the area at the pole bases with the `standard` King St granite tiles, until they did the holes were `protected`by orange cones. Another example is the re-roofing at Dundas West subway - this started in March and a few weeks ago it was still not finished. (This roof looks very straightforward to me, one level, flat etc .) They really have no idea about how to close out projects and ensure that contractors finish things off speedily - do they pay them too soon?

The TTC has all sorts of other small sections of station work that need doing, that are either 1/2 done or just neglected.

escalators.

Looks terrible, they've never addressed that that is in no way appropriate, and I'm honestly not sure if its to code either.

When it comes to basics such as these, the TTC is an absolute joke, though I'm sure they'd place all the blame on inadequate funding or similarly lame excuses. I feel that since Andy Byford left the TTC has slipped backwards to their old union mentality...

When it comes to basics such as these, the TTC is an absolute joke, though I'm sure they'd place all the blame on inadequate funding or similarly lame excuses. I feel that since Andy Byford left the TTC has slipped backwards to their old union mentality...
TTC has gone backward since Andy left on all levels.

Have you seen the current CEO out at major disruption or issues or anything other than PR event???

On 4 different routes yesterday and found 4 cars with either one or both fare machines out of service on them.

Looks like 512 cars raise the pans at Bathurst Station Loop as it left the loop with the pan up as I hit the platform. It was behind An CLRV that was departing with another behind the LRV.

506 had huge gaps and long wait, and saw no CLRV's on it, considering there were CLRV's on it.

Seen a lot of riders taking the chance of beating the system by ridding free and not paying a fare.

TTC Capital and Operating budgets are up:

Capital:

One graphic from the report:

1576271800857.png

The following items are in the plan (some partial, some full)

Bloor-Yonge capacity enhancement, fully funded, 2020-2029 (yes, you read that, they have it costed over 10 full years) @ 1.5B

Line 2 ATC signalling is partially funded with all the planning required funded through 2024.

Line 2 replacement rolling stock is essentially unfunded; though there is some money for T1 life extension

Platform Edge doors are in, partially. There's a study above, but the total budget reads as though 270M is earmarked, well short of what's needed for the whole system, but it suggests implementation may be in the offing at select stations. (1.01B unfunded)

New streetcars are as yet unfunded.

Operating Budget is here:

Last edited:
TTC Capital and Operating budgets are up:

Capital:

One graphic from the report:

View attachment 220049

The following items are in the plan (some partial, some full)

Bloor-Yonge capacity enhancement, fully funded, 2020-2029 (yes, you read that, they have it costed over 10 full years) @ 1.5B

Line 2 ATC signalling is partially funded with all the planning required funded through 2024.

Line 2 replacement rolling stock is essentially unfunded; though there is some money for T1 life extension

Platform Edge doors are in, partially. There's a study above, but the total budget reads as though 270M is earmarked, well short of what's needed for the whole system, but it suggests implementation may be in the offing at select stations. (1.01B unfunded)

Operating Budget is here:
Nothing on the additional Flexities front?

Capital is more interesting:
1576272821670.png

Looks like Y+B expenditures will peak starting 2024/5 (so we're still 5 years away from truly serious construction)

The bright side - it is fully funded:

1576273607906.png

Additional streetcars are unfunded:

1576273587186.png

Platform screen doors have partial funding - majority remain unfunded:

1576273636004.png

AoD

Last edited:
Operating budget is a downer, virtually no money for real service improvement in 2020.

In point of fact there is money for modestly more service, but it will be burned off by 'schedule reliability' improvements, which is largely code for scheduling vehicles to idle at the terminals for several minutes, and not for actual frequency improvement.

I have come to really dislike the current TTC CEO who seems to loathe accountability and always looks for the easy route, at the expense of the TTC rider. But that's just my take.

Last edited:
Second set of eyes required............

But after a careful read I have come to a conclusion.

None of the City Building Fund (the Mayor's proposed tax hike) appears to be allocated in the capital budget.

If that is the case, expect a raft of funding announcements shortly.

But others can double-check me........

Second set of eyes required............

But after a careful read I have come to a conclusion.

None of the City Building Fund (the Mayor's proposed tax hike) appears to be allocated in the capital budget.

If that is the case, expect a raft of funding announcements shortly.

But others can double-check me........
I did not see it in their Budget and had not expected to. Presumably the CITY will allocate this new Fund to x and y from various 'approved but unfunded' items in several departmental budgets once it is actually approved by Council and I doubt the TTC were able to assume that they would get any of it (if, in fact, they even knew about it - the Tory proposal was only announced last week.)

The TTC is the LEAST subsidized transit agency in North America. The TTC gets 68.0% from the farebox, the rest is a subsidy from the city. Montreal gets 46%, Mississauga gets 46%, New York City gets 47% from the farebox.

If the TTC gets little in subsidy, it has to increase the fares.

Back