News   Apr 18, 2024
 653     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 5.7K     1 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 2.4K     4 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

Given London has figured out 24 hour Tube Service for a few days a week, do we think Toronto could? At least on Yonge once ATC is live?

We could, but ATC doesn't make any difference for it. The power substations for TTC power both directions of track through a section without capability to shutdown/isolate a single direction. Single track operations through a maintenance area aren't practical without modifications.

You might get away with alternating between Yonge (odd days) and Spadina (even days) for service but we could have implemented that model decades ago, so it doesn't seem likely going forward either; ATC doesn't change the cost equation much as open stations are far more expensive than running trains.

That reminds me of this:

Hey maybe this one can pick up the building (from Reddit)

The ads are all over the TTC, seriously. :rolleyes:

AoD
Fortunately, Happy Goat is not affiliated with Happy Science, despite both having large presences in the Toronto subway system.

Happy Science is no doubt a dangerous cult.

Fortunately, Happy Goat is not affiliated with Happy Science, despite both having large presences in the Toronto subway system.

Happy Science is no doubt a dangerous cult.

I find the TTC is slipping when it comes to vetting their advertising recently.

They are promoting more religious advertising, scam conventions, etc than they did before. They are also posting controversial ads regarding veganism amongst others.

Personally I find ads for mortgage and real estate seminars the most amusing. People see these ads and go to the seminars thinking that they will learn tips and tricks to help them make money.

In reality they are sucked into dumping lots of money into seminars and talks by people who are not known to anyone but those in the industry. They don't get useful information and the speakers get richer off ticket sales.

There was an ad recently for a mortgage conference and out of the 5 people listed as speakers only one name was recognizable because she was on Dragons Den. Otherwise the names mean nothing if you're not already in the industry.

Just my 5 cents.

I find the TTC is slipping when it comes to vetting their advertising recently.

They are promoting more religious advertising, scam conventions, etc than they did before. They are also posting controversial ads regarding veganism amongst others.

Personally I find ads for mortgage and real estate seminars the most amusing. People see these ads and go to the seminars thinking that they will learn tips and tricks to help them make money.

In reality they are sucked into dumping lots of money into seminars and talks by people who are not known to anyone but those in the industry. They don't get useful information and the speakers get richer off ticket sales.

There was an ad recently for a mortgage conference and out of the 5 people listed as speakers only one name was recognizable because she was on Dragons Den. Otherwise the names mean nothing if you're not already in the industry.

Just my 5 cents.
...and the [adult swim] ads on the TTC are among the least offensive when compared with these (one of the [adult swim] ads depict a crying baby next to a tiger)!

According to Pattison, transit adverting does work. It works to sucker people into scams.

...and the [adult swim] ads on the TTC are among the least offensive when compared with these (one of the [adult swim] ads depict a crying baby next to a tiger)!

According to Pattison, transit adverting does work. It works to sucker people into scams.

It does work when done well but when an organization is cash strapped rules can be bent. No doubt Black Lives Matters could run ads on the TTC if they paid enough.

Hell I am sure Toronto Public Health could run ads with detailed UHD pictures of female and male genitals and call it a public health announcement.

We could, but ATC doesn't make any difference for it. The power substations for TTC power both directions of track through a section without capability to shutdown/isolate a single direction. Single track operations through a maintenance area aren't practical without modifications.

You might get away with alternating between Yonge (odd days) and Spadina (even days) for service but we could have implemented that model decades ago, so it doesn't seem likely going forward either; ATC doesn't change the cost equation much as open stations are far more expensive than running trains.
Didn't watch the video. My understanding was because of tunnel maintenance requirements (that's why 24 hours Finch LRT!). I would move to closing the subway earlier on Sunday through Thursday nights and running straight from Friday morning to Sunday night.

My recollection is that the usual reason/excuse why coffee/food not available at some TTC stations is a lack of water. One might think, given how much some of these stations are being remodelled for elevators/second exits that there would be a way to solve that within the scope of other works, but doubtless that opportunity is being squandered where available, especially if it might impinge on vocal adjoining businesses.

My recollection is that the usual reason/excuse why coffee/food not available at some TTC stations is a lack of water. One might think, given how much some of these stations are being remodelled for elevators/second exits that there would be a way to solve that within the scope of other works, but doubtless that opportunity is being squandered where available, especially if it might impinge on vocal adjoining businesses.

I've heard that excuse too, but it makes no sense. Every single TTC station without except supports staff washrooms with toilets that flush and sinks for hand washing; as well as multiple spigots to connect hoses for higher-pressure washing of the stations.

What is true, is that these are not necessarily in the same exact locations as where one might put retail, depending on the station; but in most cases, the pipes aren't far away, and the connection is very do-able.

Its an excuse, because they've simply wanted to avoid the conversation.

I've heard that excuse too, but it makes no sense. Every single TTC station without except supports staff washrooms with toilets that flush and sinks for hand washing; as well as multiple spigots to connect hoses for higher-pressure washing of the stations.

What is true, is that these are not necessarily in the same exact locations as where one might put retail, depending on the station; but in most cases, the pipes aren't far away, and the connection is very do-able.

Its an excuse, because they've simply wanted to avoid the conversation.

Keep in mind though that at stations like Warden, Islington and Eglinton you have a service corridor running behind the shops. At Kennedy you have the shops directly above a janitorial room.

At stations like Chester, Summerhill, Rosedale and Old Mill you do not have the same setup. It may seem simple but the cost to retrofit the plumbing likely is not cheap.

Keep in mind though that at stations like Warden, Islington and Eglinton you have a service corridor running behind the shops. At Kennedy you have the shops directly above a janitorial room.

At stations like Chester, Summerhill, Rosedale and Old Mill you do not have the same setup. It may seem simple but the cost to retrofit the plumbing likely is not cheap.

Ya there's a lot of infrastructure just for a Tim Hortons. It will need dedicated internet access so credit/debit/Tim Cards can work/be validated; a dedicated space for loading and unloading supplies and storing pre-baked goods (I assume it would have a limited menu), almost certainly while the station is open, and likely during the daytime; also the staff will require access to a restroom, and I'm not sure the TTC would want to share theirs. Some climate control is likely high on the list of nice to haves too as the stations can be too hot or too cold at times. This also means the TTC as landlord will have to deal with rodent or insect or pigeon issues ASAP at all times.

Last edited:
Still I wonder, If there are food carts, we should be able to manage some retail in stations as long as there is space. I can get a hot dog or bagel on the street above the station, so why not inside.

In the latest Vision Zero update to Infrastructure and Environment Ctte, I spied something I've been supportive for ages, moving ahead:

TTC staff will be carrying out a detailed, system-wide stop rationalization review over the next year and will report back to the TTC Board.

Fulll Report here:

Back