2.6K     1 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 970     3 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 1.6K     3 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

Sept 25
Enjoy
TTC partners with CityFund and local artists to create A Streetcar Named Toronto

Sept. 25, 2019

As the remaining Canadian Light Rail Vehicles (CLRVs) head toward retirement after 40 years of serving commuters, the TTC has partnered with CityFund and local artists to send one off in unique style.

A Streetcar Named Toronto is a public art project that pays tribute to this unique civic icon.

"The retirement of the CLRV has presented a rare opportunity for the TTC to not only support the arts, but also to set a new bar for the integration of art on public transit," said TTC Chair Jaye Robinson.

Several local artists were selected to transform streetcar #4178. Jacquie Comrie painted the exterior of the vehicle using a variety of paints and full spectrum palettes, including neons and glow-in-the-dark paint, making it visible to everyone at night.

The interior will feature art activations by Nicole Beno, Ryan Van der Hout and Chris Perez, along with textile and lighting modifications by Suanne McGregor.

The vehicle will run until December primarily on the 506 Carlton route during the week and periodically on the 501 Queen route on weekends. It will also run on 511 Bathurst during Nuit Blanche on Sat., Oct. 5.

Funding for A Streetcar Named Toronto is provided through CityFund, a new charity dedicated to bringing the city to life.

"It's been a thrill to be able to do this," said CityFund President Mark Fiorillo. "Art is often a destination kind of thing so to be able to bring it to people in an intimate space like this and show them something during their commute that they might not otherwise see is a real privilege."

The first CLRV was put into service 40 years ago this week, on Sept. 30, 1979, on the 507 Long Branch (Humber Loop-Long Branch Loop) route.

The last of the CLRVs will be retired in December with other special commemorative events planned between now and the end of the year.

In addition to being spotted on the streets of downtown Toronto, the public can catch an up-close look at this vehicle during a community event to be held on Sat., Sept. 28 at Roncesvalles Carhouse, between 1 p.m. and 4 p.m. A TTC/United Way barbecue will be held as part of this event.

Sept 25
48796587412_ca7974a5c4_b.jpg

48796442771_343218d682_b.jpg

48796441491_255c78ec72_b.jpg

48796088088_63d4d2a72a_b.jpg

48796442101_b42a75b925_b.jpg

48796584172_c5851f9dcd_b.jpg

48796086073_dccb69e073_b.jpg

Motion being put forth by TTC vice chair that a number of Flexity to be done this way as well at Oct TTC meeting.

I stated this car and a few others be retain as part of the heritage fleet to the point another car should be done like this.

Never knew the city had a department to do these things and give everyone top marks for this. Look forward to see more regardless what type of car it is, other than the PCC and Witt.

Sticking this here.

Ottawa is getting a local indy coffee chain to set up shop in 5 of the stations in its new LRT.

This, to me is the sort of thing TTC and GO/Metrolinx should have managed ages ago.

Its a great mix of revenue with customer-amenity.

Yet somehow the TTC is stuck w/bloody Gateway newsstands that don't even open on Sundays at many busy stations; and have zero 'cool factor'

While most GO Stations have nothing, or a bloody Tim's Kiosk.

I always like to applaud a bit of creativity and ambition; in hopes of encouraging more of the same.

Story here:

Sticking this here.

Ottawa is getting a local indy coffee chain to set up shop in 5 of the stations in its new LRT.

This, to me is the sort of thing TTC and GO/Metrolinx should have managed ages ago.

Its a great mix of revenue with customer-amenity.

Yet somehow the TTC is stuck w/bloody Gateway newsstands that don't even open on Sundays at many busy stations; and have zero 'cool factor'

While most GO Stations have nothing, or a bloody Tim's Kiosk.

I always like to applaud a bit of creativity and ambition; in hopes of encouraging more of the same.

Story here:

I believe the TTC had a report recently on modernizing it's retail spaces which are obviously.. underperforming. Lots of talk of upping the revenue generation over the extremely substandard offerings seen today in many stations.

Given the pace that bureaucracy moves though, probably going to still be a while before there is real movement.

Last report I saw was a renewal w/Gateway just last year for a decade. It did include allowing Gateway to co-brand with Tim's and with MTY Food Group whose brands can be found here: https://mtygroup.com/nos-enseignes/

Report on the contract is here: https://www.ttc.ca/About_the_TTC/Co...et_Shops_Retail_Procurement_Authorization.pdf

The original retail strategy report is here: https://www.ttc.ca/About_the_TTC/Co...Febrary_15/Reports/13_New_Retail_Strategy.pdf

My personal sense is that they just have turned over the entire retail management to Osmington who I think have done a great job at Union Station; under a similar contract, and then let them go.

On Monday I have to leave the car at the mechanic, so for the first time I’ll take TTC from Parliament and Carlton to my new office at Dufferin and Supertest. Google says it’ll take 70 mins. The worst drive so far has been 50 mins.
So, this morning it took about 25 mins more than driving. Dropped off the car at the mechanic at Queen and Parliament at 7am. Then 501 to Queen Stn, around Union loop, up to Shepherd West Stn. then 105 bus for eight stops to SuperTest. Wasn't crowded at all, always got a seat, but 75 min instead of <45 min driving makes a difference. It was nice to sit and read the NYT on my phone instead of driving.

I'm glad to know I have this TTC option during the winter storms. I just wish the bus ROW continued on Dufferin north of Finch. That stretch gets slow.

Back