News   Apr 18, 2024
 123     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 1.5K     1 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 1.8K     3 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

IMG_20191017_221727.jpg

From the TTC unfunded capital projects list, I would tend toward bus/streetcar items for the $5B over 10 years (2020 through 2030) on the below projects.

With Metrolinx wholly responsible for TTC subway expansion, I think they'll find themselves wanting to fund basic capacity enhancements too as otherwise they won't have anything to extend. TTC is only obligated to fund minimal SOGR to maintain service, even if that line of thought does break the spirit of this agreement.
  • Diesel Bus purchase: $1.8B (or electric if they prove reliable, the last capital list has pricing for Diesel)
  • Bus Collision Centre: $250M
  • Bus Overhaul Facility: $250M (can this be combined with the above?)
  • Davenport Garage Renewal: $93M
  • 60 + 40 Streetcar Order: $500M
  • Streetcar Maintenance/Storage Facility: $900M
  • Expansion: East Bayfront: ~$1.2B (I'd trade this for a King East ROW extension and a Lower Jarvis/Queens Quay/Parliament loop)
With GO expansion and Bloor-Yonge rebuild both funded, TTC needs to focus on getting people to rapid transit lines; Metrolinx doesn't and some department needs to.
I wonder if there might be some opportunities to fund bus priority projects in the suburbs?

Toronto's bus network is actually quite decent, and I wonder if there's any sort of low-hanging efficiencies that can be done in turning the system into a semi-rapid transit system on the cheap.

You may need to get out more often. Unless I am missing something your photo shows a subway door that has problems and the TTC have blocked it off with the red straps so that the train can remain in service.

I think he's referring to the lights on the map

No way Andy's coming back. Oliver Moore just noted that London's job is coming up.

As for the SOGR money, would think some will go into Bloor-Yonge expansion and ensuring AODA work proceeds such that $ is not the holdup to process but availability of contractors to perform the work.

If we assume TTC needs Obico for a new fleet no matter whether Greenwood takes over OL trains or not, then that's gotta come before ATC to maintain TR sets or fixed-consist ATCed T1s.

While the BD signal gear isn't as aged as the YUS stuff, there have been some issues in the past. Is it really necessary to eke out every last dime?

Which leads me to the question of why they took the train all the way to basically the end of the loop, instead of just halfway through.

Looks like they really wanted to try their luck today.

Which leads me to the question of why they took the train all the way to basically the end of the loop, instead of just halfway through.

If the signal system detects something on the tracks immediately past the platform, it will still allow a train to access the platform - but to do so very slowly. Moving it as far along the tail track as possible puts enough room there that the signal system will allow trains to enter the station normally.

As well, the further along the tail track they run that disabled train, the shorter the walk the crew has to make.

Dan

If the signal system detects something on the tracks immediately past the platform, it will still allow a train to access the platform - but to do so very slowly. Moving it as far along the tail track as possible puts enough room there that the signal system will allow trains to enter the station normally.

As well, the further along the tail track they run that disabled train, the shorter the walk the crew has to make.

Dan

Actually judging by the jolting, sudden braking and acceleration it is safe to say they were operating on manual.

Back