News   Jul 08, 2024
 393     1 
News   Jul 08, 2024
 1.1K     7 
News   Jul 08, 2024
 639     0 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

Case in point was that issue with 'no more stand to the right, walk to the left' because of "safety". It was and is a complete non-issue, but they don't hesitate to tell you what to do while all the while ignoring real safety issues.

Out of curiosity, I'll dig on that again, I now think of it every time I walk up the left side of the escalator, and how any logical argument (and there is some, but only in context) is lost in the hyperbole.

My gut feeling? It's liability management, not safety.

AoD

My gut feeling? It's liability management, not safety.

AoD
I think you're being too kind. With the no more 'walk to the left' it's about putting on appearances rather than dealing with the facts. That 'stand to the right' issue is yet going to backfire when it's realized to be almost a complete misinterpretation of the studies it is ostensibly based on, many of the studies already being seriously questioned in some quarters. And most of the studies clearly stated caveats that exclude everything the TTC has in terms of length of escalator lift.

Last edited:
They can't tell the vehicles which fare to charge. Hence why Presto doesn't work on express buses (a year after this was raised).
That's something the are working on with the new communication system for the buses it will be more integrated with everything on the bus and streetcars.

Case in point was that issue with 'no more stand to the right, walk to the left' because of "safety". It was and is a complete non-issue, but they don't hesitate to tell you what to do while all the while ignoring real safety issues.

Out of curiosity, I'll dig on that again, I now think of it every time I walk up the left side of the escalator, and how any logical argument (and there is some, but only in context) is lost in the hyperbole.
Not every escalator on the system is wide enough for poel to walk and stand on them many of them are single person escalators that were put in pace of stairs. The newer ones that have been put in ae wider, however if you look anywhere in the city of Toronto you won't find signs anywhere to walk left and stand right anymore on any escalators.

Not every escalator on the system is wide enough for poel to walk and stand on them many of them are single person escalators that were put in pace of stairs. The newer ones that have been put in ae wider, however if you look anywhere in the city of Toronto you won't find signs anywhere to walk left and stand right anymore on any escalators.
Which escalators on the system are too narrow for 2 people to be side by side? And what are poel?

Which escalators on the system are too narrow for 2 people to be side by side? And what are poel?
there are a lot of them exceptionally in some of the older stations. Spadina actually has some pretty narrow ones going up to the streetcar level from the westbound platform. Alos as I said before there are no walk left stand right signs anywhere else in the city so why should the TTC go back to having them. Alos just because they do it in europe, Japan or anywhere else in the world doesn't mean we have to do it as well.

there are a lot of them exceptionally in some of the older stations. Spadina actually has some pretty narrow ones going up to the streetcar level from the westbound platform. Alos as I said before there are no walk left stand right signs anywhere else in the city so why should the TTC go back to having them. Alos just because they do it in europe, Japan or anywhere else in the world doesn't mean we have to do it as well.
I still can't think of any. I've had no problems passing people on the escalator to get to the streetcar platform from the westbound platform at Spadina.

I still can't think of any. I've had no problems passing people on the escalator to get to the streetcar platform from the westbound platform at Spadina.
We can keep debating this on here forever and it's not going to change anything there are no escalators anywhere in the city of Toronto that have Walk Left and Stand right signs anymore. Whether it's a legal or safety issue it's not going to be changed anytime soon or ever, this is just one of those subjects that need to be dropped.

We can keep debating this on here forever and it's not going to change anything there are no escalators anywhere in the city of Toronto that have Walk Left and Stand right signs anymore. Whether it's a legal or safety issue it's not going to be changed anytime soon or ever, this is just one of those subjects that need to be dropped.
All I asked was what escalators on the system are too narrow for two people to stand side by side. I never mentioned anything about signs...

All I asked was what escalators on the system are too narrow for two people to stand side by side. I never mentioned anything about signs...
sorry my bad. I know I've been on one somewhere but can't remember where it was maybe King sation, I know a lot of the older sations have some very tight stairs and escalators in them. Queen also has a few fairly narrow ones too.

sorry my bad. I know I've been on one somewhere but can't remember where it was maybe King sation, I know a lot of the older sations have some very tight stairs and escalators in them. Queen also has a few fairly narrow ones too.
Ah, you're right. Now that you mention queen, I remember using a narrow escalator there to get from the northbound to southbound platform. It's not really an escalator you need to use unless you pay your fare at the wrong platform though.

Ah, you're right. Now that you mention queen, I remember using a narrow escalator there to get from the northbound to southbound platform. It's not really an escalator you need to use unless you pay your fare at the wrong platform though.
Another thing is most subway stations don't have many escalators. Some just have them only in one direction, which is usually up to the platform or to Street level depending on the station. Don't forget when the subway first opened having stairs ment it was accessible, then the building code changed and they had to add escalators, now it's changed again and they have to add elivators to stations that were never designed with either escalators or elivators in mind.

The escalators at Queen are all, I believe, one-person escalators.

Downsview is the only other one I'm personally familiar with--the escalators are too narrow for two people, but a good bit wider than one person. It's really confusing why they used those with so much space, in a relatively new station, with two-person escalators almost everywhere else in the system.

Another thing is most subway stations don't have many escalators. Some just have them only in one direction, which is usually up to the platform or to Street level depending on the station. Don't forget when the subway first opened having stairs ment it was accessible, then the building code changed and they had to add escalators, now it's changed again and they have to add elivators to stations that were never designed with either escalators or elivators in mind.

Why does the building code require escalators? Can't elevators accomplish everything escalators can?

Back