News   Jun 28, 2024
 160     0 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 295     0 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 360     0 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

What do you mean? The fare level on my Presto card has changed several times, as the fares have increased over the years - it's always the same as a token.

And the fare on my 9-year old's card has changed too - used to be 60¢ - and now it charges $0.
They can't tell the vehicles which fare to charge. Hence why Presto doesn't work on express buses (a year after this was raised).

Sort of like Presto and being unable to set different fares levels on the TTC.

They can do that on Presto. The system already has student & senior fares, and support for the city's low-income fare program that's starting next year.

They can't tell the vehicles which fare to charge. Hence why Presto doesn't work on express buses (a year after this was raised).

They can do that too. YRT does it with their 407 express buses. The TTC just decided they don't want to use this feature yet.

They can do that too. YRT does it with their 407 express buses. The TTC just decided they don't want to use this feature yet.
The reason provided to the riders was 'it is incredibly complicated to implement, so this is an end of 2017 thing'.

Again, raising issues as to why such vendor-reliant products were chosen. As someone working for a tech vendor, our clients usually go through tedious business cases and questionnaires which are meant to suss out if a product is too vendor-reliant. Nobody wants to spend $600k or whatever it is to do a simple reprogramming of options.

I was under the impression that this wasn't possible due to the TTC not installing driver control units for Presto, ie. the Thales manufactured units found on GO, YRT, OCTranspo, etc.

presto3.jpg

Maybe this can be resolved with the new AVL units currently being tested, that are supposed to replace the Trump units?

The reason provided to the riders was 'it is incredibly complicated to implement, so this is an end of 2017 thing'.

I'd call bull on that. "Incredibly complicated" is Go Transit's 97 fare zones or Oakville Transit's child/student freedom passes. YRT supported express fares from day one. The TTC should have no problem doing the same thing.

From the TTC tweets, looks like the system has gone full meltdown so far today.

AoD
I'm damn glad my pending business downtown was done yesterday. As for the suitcase, there was no alternative than to take it very seriously. I suspect a degree of heightened readiness is in place in Toronto, just that there's little to no use in alarming the public as is done with "yellow, orange, red" alerts in other jurisdictions.

What the TTC has to do is fix the atrocious on-board public communications system. Intelligibility is close to zero, unless grunts and mumbles convey the message. The actual speakers and amplification are quite good, or you wouldn't hear the station announcements so clearly. It's in the com system and the interface. I'm an audio tech, and realizing how simple it would be to fix, and how it probably edges on the line of illegality to have such a compromised system eats at me to no end. A nightclub or other private venue would be shut-down for not meeting evacuation communication standards. The TTC seems to be immune somehow, and has been this way for generations.

I just can't help myself yelling out sometimes: "What the hell did they just say?" when what sounds like an important announcement is made and no-one understands it. I find people sitting there like penned sheep just as outrageous and unacceptable as the management that know they will. Dammit, it's their *right* and the law that they be properly informed.

It's pathetic, and come a very genuine terrorism or safety threat, people will become victims purely as there's no way to communicate safe evacuation procedures and alerts. Just smoke alone and people running to the wrong exits could kill scores, as has happened in a number of systems around the world. When do we learn the lessons?

Last edited:
I'm damn glad my pending business downtown was done yesterday. As for the suitcase, there was no alternative than to take it very seriously. I suspect a degree of heightened readiness is in place in Toronto, just that there's little to no use in alarming the public as is done with "yellow, orange, red" alerts in other jurisdictions.

What the TTC has to do is fix the atrocious on-board public communications system. Intelligibility is close to zero, unless grunts and mumbles convey the message. The actual speakers and amplification are quite good, or you wouldn't hear the station announcements so clearly. It's in the com system and the interface. I'm an audio tech, and realizing how simple it would be to fix, and how it probably edges on the line of illegality to have such a compromised system eats at me to no end. A nightclub or other private venue would be shut-down for not meeting evacuation communication standards. The TTC seems to be immune somehow, and has been this way for generations.

I just can't help myself yelling out sometimes: "What the hell did they just say?" when what sounds like an important announcement is made and no-one understands it. I find people sitting there like penned sheep just as outrageous and unacceptable as the management that know they will. Dammit, it's their *right* and the law that they be properly informed.

It's pathetic, and come a very genuine terrorism or safety threat, people will become victims purely as there's no way to communicate safe evacuation procedures and alerts. Just smoke alone and people running to the wrong exits could kill scores, as has happened in a number of systems around the world. When do we learn the lessons?

My beef with it is that the org claims to take safety seriously - but couldn't even be bothered to deal with inaudiable PSAs on a day to day basis. What gets me is there is a tendency for the announcement to cut out completely even if the announcer didn't mumble. What is this, the audio version of fill in the blanks?

AoD

My beef with it is that the org claims to take safety seriously - but couldn't even be bothered to deal with inaudiable PSAs on a day to day basis. What gets me is there is a tendency for the announcement to cut out completely even if the announcer didn't mumble. What is this, the audio version of fill in the blanks?

AoD
Case in point was that issue with 'no more stand to the right, walk to the left' because of "safety". It was and is a complete non-issue, but they don't hesitate to tell you what to do while all the while ignoring real safety issues.

Out of curiosity, I'll dig on that again, I now think of it every time I walk up the left side of the escalator, and how any logical argument (and there is some, but only in context) is lost in the hyperbole.

Back