News   Jun 24, 2024
 281     0 
News   Jun 21, 2024
 5K     6 
News   Jun 21, 2024
 1.9K     3 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

20170416_161340.jpg

How come the concrete "flanges" are allowed to get into this condition?

Attachments

• 20170416_161340.jpg
    20170416_161340.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 231
One year ago, I was cheered to learn that the TTC had been given $1 billion of federal infrastructure money to do backlogged repairs. What did it go on? Where is it? I was hoping to see some of the worst track replaced (see previous post) and instead from Steve Munro's Feb 2016 track plan, the Broadview-Dundas interection has been pushed back another year or to heaven knows when.

What did that $1 billion buy? Not a peep from any of Toronto's daily journals - only hand-wringing over the state of the situation. Where is the continuity and focus?

Second entrance?

Overhead?

Air conditioning?

Clean floors?

McNicoll garage planning?

How come the concrete "flanges" are allowed to get into this condition?
The track flanges get into this state because they are the weakest part of the concrete track bed and take the most strain and vibration. In an ideal world the City and the TTC would dig up the flange area down to the base concrete and replace it. They do this in some locations but there certainly are too many places where this can be seen, I guess it's not dangerous for streetcars, though certainly an additional biking hazard. I report particularly dangerous spots to 311 and some DO get properly fixed and others get asphalt.

One year ago, I was cheered to learn that the TTC had been given $1 billion of federal infrastructure money to do backlogged repairs. What did it go on? Where is it? I was hoping to see some of the worst track replaced (see previous post) and instead from Steve Munro's Feb 2016 track plan, the Broadview-Dundas interection has been pushed back another year or to heaven knows when.

What did that $1 billion buy? Not a peep from any of Toronto's daily journals - only hand-wringing over the state of the situation. Where is the continuity and focus?

Second entrance?

Overhead?

Air conditioning?

Clean floors?

McNicoll garage planning?
Did you notice that they are rebuilding streetcar track on long stretch of the 501 route, Wellington is getting new track, new overhead is being strung, the Dundas, Victoria and Church track is about to be replaced and many old streetcars are being refurbished. Is it enough? No, of course not but the SOGR backlog is huge.

The track flanges get into this state because they are the weakest part of the concrete track bed and take the most strain and vibration. In an ideal world the City and the TTC would dig up the flange area down to the base concrete and replace it. They do this in some locations but there certainly are too many places where this can be seen, I guess it's not dangerous for streetcars, though certainly an additional biking hazard. I report particularly dangerous spots to 311 and some DO get properly fixed and others get asphalt.
Coxwell from Queen to Upper Gerrard is a disaster. I was under the impression that the entire track would be replaced this summer after last year's sewer work. Does not seem to be the case. There are also quite a few small patches on Queen East which I would think if you arrested the decay now, you could save a major rebuild from having to be done.

The full list of federal infrastructure funding:

On Grade Paving $4.78 M

Subway Facility Renewal Program $4.26 M

SmartTrack Planning and Design $3 M

Reduced Crossing Distance - Curb extensions/neckdowns $ 90,000

Enterprise Asset Management $22.98 M

Sidewalk extensions for accessibility $ 75,000

Real-time alternative transportation information screens $ 30,000

Davenport Diamond Program $5 M

LED Blank-Out Signs for turn restrictions $ 380,000

Signalized Crossings for Cyclists $ 90,000

Pavement Marking Improvements $ 200,000

Stations Transformation (incl Zone Hubs) $9.18 M

Life Extension Overhaul of 40 Articulated Light Rail Vehicles (ALRVs) $12.95 M

Subway Workcars $7.71 M

Surface Track Replacement Program $23.03 M

Bus Hoists $8.08 M

Structure Rehabilitation Program $16.47 M

Orion VII Diesel & va Artic Bus Rebuild Program $41.46 M

Bridges/Structures Maintenance $4.73 M

Subway Pump Replacement Program $3.37 M

Skylight Replacement Program $ 85,000

Rocket / T1 Rail Yard Accommodation $4.91 M

Backflow Preventers $1.24 M

Reductions of curb radii at key intersections $ 125,000

East Don Trail $11.25 M

Missing sidewalk links - 2018 $ 855,000

Eglinton East LRT Planning and Design $3.5 M

Surface Transit Operational Improvement Studies $ 250,000

Missing sidewalk links - 2017 $ 660,000

Burnhamthorpe/Renforth Boulevard multi-use trail to Kipling Station $1.04 M

Eglinton Connects Streetscape Improvements and Cycle Tracks $8.9 M

Transit Signal Priority System Renewal $ 50,000

Increase Crossing Times - Modification of signals and timings $ 115,000

Waterfront Transit Design $1.8 M

Automated Pedestrian Detection Upgrades $ 150,000

Eglinton Avenue East Bicycle Lanes $ 541,000

New mid-block crossings to transit stops $1.5 M

Bike Share Expansion at 50 TTC stations $1.25 M

Finch West LRT Early Works $25 M

Train Door Monitoring System - T1 & TR (Overhaul and Communications) $17.56 M

Replacement of Orion VII Hybrid Bus Components $8.42 M

Customer Facing Information Screens (CFIS) $2.5 M

201 Wheel-Trans Buses $4.34 M

Subway Track Rehabilitation Program $14.09 M

Maintenance of Joint TTC / Transportation Bridges $2.07 M

Bus Stop Improvements for Accessibility $10 M

APC expansion to remainder of TTC 60' bus fleet $ 531,000

APC expansion to remainder of TTC 40' bus fleet and ALRVs $4.65 M

Platform Modifications to Accommodate Articulated Buses $10 M

Subway Turut Rehabilitation Program $11.47 M

T1 Subway Cars - 20 Year Overhaul $5.77 M

Did you notice that they are rebuilding streetcar track on long stretch of the 501 route, Wellington is getting new track, new overhead is being strung, the Dundas, Victoria and Church track is about to be replaced and many old streetcars are being refurbished. Is it enough? No, of course not but the SOGR backlog is huge.
Victoria, Dundas, Dundas Square don't look as bad as Dundas and Broadview, but then again, I have not seen a streetcar on Victoria in years, so perhaps the track is in such bad shape, it's out of service. Is it?

The full list of federal infrastructure funding:

On Grade Paving $4.78 M

Subway Facility Renewal Program $4.26 M

SmartTrack Planning and Design $3 M

Reduced Crossing Distance - Curb extensions/neckdowns $ 90,000

Enterprise Asset Management $22.98 M

Sidewalk extensions for accessibility $ 75,000

Real-time alternative transportation information screens $ 30,000

Davenport Diamond Program $5 M

LED Blank-Out Signs for turn restrictions $ 380,000

Signalized Crossings for Cyclists $ 90,000

Pavement Marking Improvements $ 200,000

Stations Transformation (incl Zone Hubs) $9.18 M

Life Extension Overhaul of 40 Articulated Light Rail Vehicles (ALRVs) $12.95 M

Subway Workcars $7.71 M

Surface Track Replacement Program $23.03 M

Bus Hoists $8.08 M

Structure Rehabilitation Program $16.47 M

Orion VII Diesel & va Artic Bus Rebuild Program $41.46 M

Bridges/Structures Maintenance $4.73 M

Subway Pump Replacement Program $3.37 M

Skylight Replacement Program $ 85,000

Rocket / T1 Rail Yard Accommodation $4.91 M

Backflow Preventers $1.24 M

Reductions of curb radii at key intersections $ 125,000

East Don Trail $11.25 M

Missing sidewalk links - 2018 $ 855,000

Eglinton East LRT Planning and Design $3.5 M

Surface Transit Operational Improvement Studies $ 250,000

Missing sidewalk links - 2017 $ 660,000

Burnhamthorpe/Renforth Boulevard multi-use trail to Kipling Station $1.04 M

Eglinton Connects Streetscape Improvements and Cycle Tracks $8.9 M

Transit Signal Priority System Renewal $ 50,000

Increase Crossing Times - Modification of signals and timings $ 115,000

Waterfront Transit Design $1.8 M

Automated Pedestrian Detection Upgrades $ 150,000

Eglinton Avenue East Bicycle Lanes $ 541,000

New mid-block crossings to transit stops $1.5 M

Bike Share Expansion at 50 TTC stations $1.25 M

Finch West LRT Early Works $25 M

Train Door Monitoring System - T1 & TR (Overhaul and Communications) $17.56 M

Replacement of Orion VII Hybrid Bus Components $8.42 M

Customer Facing Information Screens (CFIS) $2.5 M

201 Wheel-Trans Buses $4.34 M

Subway Track Rehabilitation Program $14.09 M

Maintenance of Joint TTC / Transportation Bridges $2.07 M

Bus Stop Improvements for Accessibility $10 M

APC expansion to remainder of TTC 60' bus fleet $ 531,000

APC expansion to remainder of TTC 40' bus fleet and ALRVs $4.65 M

Platform Modifications to Accommodate Articulated Buses $10 M

Subway Turut Rehabilitation Program $11.47 M

T1 Subway Cars - 20 Year Overhaul $5.77 M
Thanks, @innsertnamehere . Are there any stipulations about when/ how quickly this is to be done? How many (work) years does this span? Just 2017? Are we prioritizing the next phase of work?

Did you notice that they are rebuilding streetcar track on long stretch of the 501 route,
I did and @crs1026 explained that the Queensway was a shitshow of uneven track such that reduced speed was in effect. But most of the western Lakeshore - Kipling loop and Parklawn/Lakeshore excepted looks to be in grand shape so I really don't understand this.

the funding is supposed to be for only 2 or 3 years. Some of that money has already been spent. Most of it seems to be for studies, and a lot for active transportation projects.

Its part of the feds phase 1 infrastructure plan, they wanted "quick money" that could be spent early, and are now doing the longer term planning for the big projects that will get funding as a part of phase 2.

Victoria, Dundas, Dundas Square don't look as bad as Dundas and Broadview, but then again, I have not seen a streetcar on Victoria in years, so perhaps the track is in such bad shape, it's out of service. Is it?
Last year they replaced the Queen - Victoria intersection, this year they are replacing Victoria and Dundas and next year they will rebuild the straight (tangent) track from Dundas to Queen. One does see the occasional streetcar there but the track is dreadful north of Queen. Theya paprently postponed work so two watermains could be finished first.

Last year they replaced the Queen - Victoria intersection, this year they are replacing Victoria and Dundas and next year they will rebuild the straight (tangent) track from Dundas to Queen. One does see the occasional streetcar there but the track is dreadful north of Queen. Theya paprently postponed work so two watermains could be finished first.
Forget my note about the flanges earlier - the tangent track on Victoria looks like a derailment waiting to happen. I think they are trying to avoid using it. The entire trackbed has subsided in spots by the theatres.

the funding is supposed to be for only 2 or 3 years. Some of that money has already been spent. Most of it seems to be for studies, and a lot for active transportation projects.

Its part of the feds phase 1 infrastructure plan, they wanted "quick money" that could be spent early, and are now doing the longer term planning for the big projects that will get funding as a part of phase 2.
What about if the wheels fall off the bus, meanwhile? ;-)

They can't tell the vehicles which fare to charge. Hence why Presto doesn't work on express buses (a year after this was raised).
Oh, I see what you mean. Not sure if that's Accenture - as others have pointed out, there's hardware that needs to come. This was supposed to come on line in 2017 some time they always said. Clearly Accenture can handle it, as they do so elsewhere.

Back