News   Jul 16, 2024
 486     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 537     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 669     2 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

There is video footage of it.
I should watch the first bit again then ...

... was it assault though? If the TEO isn't allowed to arrest or touch someone, and his father was being assaulted by the TEO, isn't one allowed to use force against the assailant?

Sure, if the person stands there and waits for the police. It doesn't give them the power to physically restrain someone.

You are discouraged from using force to detain someone while making an arrest, you are to ask them nicely first, but are permitted to use it.

The law allows you to use as much force as is necessary for the purpose of making a citizen's arrest, as long as you are acting on reasonable grounds. However, any force you use must be tailored to the circumstances, and you are criminally responsible for any excess force you use. In addition to the potential for a criminal prosecution, you may also face a civil lawsuit in relation to your conduct and any injury you cause.

Note the use of the modifiers, "reasonable grounds" and "tailored to the circumstances". Even many police officers that have seen the video think that the punches to the head were completely inappropriate.

You are discouraged from using force to detain someone while making an arrest, you are to ask them nicely first, but are permitted to use it.
I don't believe you are allowed to once pound someone's face with a fist while making a citizen's arrest - let alone multiple times.

I'd be curious to see what regulation or Act uses words like "discouraged" as well! :)

I'd be curious to know what the heinous crime this pair committed that required the use of potentially deadly force ... now that TTC has confirmed it wasn't a fare issue, it's hard to imagine.

The TTC can't seem to catch a break it seems...

11069664_10155450626030523_3111456180459034364_n.jpg

Yesterday at 5:44pm ·
I think my fear of Yonge, north of Finch is well founded. What happened at Finch Station today?!

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10155450626030523&set=p.10155450626030523&type=1&theater
(Being a Facebook status, I don't know if you will be able to see it)

Reading the comments, it appears to have been a stabbing.

Sure, if the person stands there and waits for the police. It doesn't give them the power to physically restrain someone.

Just wondering, what is the point of TEOs anyways? They don't have weapons, they do not have the authority to detain or arrest, they are not supposed to use physical force, etc. They are like a stereotypical Canadian cop: "For breaking the law, I am going to ask you to wait here for the police to arrive, eh. Sorry aboot the inconvenience. Hey, where are you going, I asked you to wait here..."

Sadly, I think Gord Perks has it backwards. TEO need to have the tools (and training) to deal with situations if they boil over. If the officers had better tools to subdue these people, they may not have had to get so "hands on" with their enforcement.

FWIW, the Viva fare inspectors do appear to have some weapons on them. However, their training is impeccable. They are extremely friendly and polite, and if they catch someone without a fare, they take the person off the bus at the next stop to write a ticket. Granted, when I do see this happen, the person usually complies without incident, so I cannot comment about if the person becomes hostile (there was one incident caught on video where the inspector was arresting a woman with excessive force, and he got in big trouble for it though).

The TTC can't seem to catch a break it seems...

(Being a Facebook status, I don't know if you will be able to see it)

Reading the comments, it appears to have been a stabbing.

The post I saw said that it was self-inflicted; someone cutting themselves.

Don't TEOs carry batons or extenable weapons? Surely hitting someone in the face with a fist is less lethal than a steel pole. And I thought force was allowed when making an arrest (either citizen's arrest, or otherwise)? The Lucky Moose owner laid a beating I believe, and he was personally congratulated by Harper.

Frankly, I don't see that much of an issue here. Those guys were trouble.

From what I have seen on the video, this TEO needs to be charge and dismiss by TTC ASP.

I am surprised it only coming out now when it happen in Jan.

This TEO when way beyond this rights and comes off as a thug. Even if the person didn't pay his fare, they don't deserved this beating.

Time TTC have real cops than these so call TEO's. Other system do.

I guess Andy got some more house cleaning to do.

Back