News   Jul 16, 2024
 588     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 557     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 689     2 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

I feel a little bad for the officers involved. People are going to see he video and jump to conclusions about their motivations. No, they shouldn't have punched the guy like that, but I understand why the officer would have been so upset that be felt like he needed to keep punching the guy. However I do think that the officer should be diciplined, as he didn't handle the situation properly.

“Just having seen (the video) a few minutes ago, I certainly don’t know the context, or the situation, but it’s certainly something that is alarming when you watch it and I believe that both the TTC and more importantly Toronto police have to investigate this.â€

The altercation involving TTC officers is extremely serious,†TTC spokesperson Brad Ross said in a tweet Tuesday night.
“The video is being reviewed now. We will have more to say in the morning.â€
http://www.cp24.com/mobile/news/ttc...g-video-involving-special-constable-1.2306658

The first guy... pretty tough. It appears that he had him secured on the ground when he decided to throw a punch at him.

The second one, the only benefit I can give him is that the adrenaline took over. There was no need to wail on him like he did. The non-security TTC employee should be given a medal for trying to defuse the situation and get the security officer under control.

It is clear that the first guy was nowhere near successful in having the guy on the ground secured - he would have been on his belly with his hands behind his back if this were the case.

It is hard to see what started the second altercation, but the second guy did look like he went over the line.

I feel a little bad for the officers involved. People are going to see he video and jump to conclusions about their motivations. No, they shouldn't have punched the guy like that, but I understand why the officer would have been so upset that be felt like he needed to keep punching the guy. However I do think that the officer should be diciplined, as he didn't handle the situation properly.

At around 3:50, the second officer launches 7 completely unnecessary punches at the guy. All while the TTC employee is pulling him away, but the officer still goes at him.

Understandable is one thing, but law enforcement officers are supposed to exercise restraint, and that makes it unacceptable.

I can see the body shot to the guy on the ground being justified, as he looked to be trying to pull back his arms behind his back. But the head shots were just ridiculous.

The guy in the grey shirt punched the TTC Officer in the head and back several times prior to the start of the first video, and the guy on the ground was combative as well.

The situation is no where near as clear cut as some are making it seem. And those who a have no experience or training in such incidents need to reserve judgement.

At around 3:50, the second officer launches 7 completely unnecessary punches at the guy. All while the TTC employee is pulling him away, but the officer still goes at him.

Understandable is one thing, but law enforcement officers are supposed to exercise restraint, and that makes it unacceptable.

I can see the body shot to the guy on the ground being justified, as he looked to be trying to pull back his arms behind his back. But the head shots were just ridiculous.

Yeah I also agree with that. At the absolute least the TEO should be fired. And I would't be upset if he were convicted of something. I'm just sympathetic to him, because I understand how hard it is to be level headed in those situations.

And those who a have no experience or training in such incidents need to reserve judgement.
A fair comment until about half-way through the video. It's hard to justify simply pounding on someone that is being restrained and is no longer offering resistance.

If it's so bad that TTC staff are trying to intervene to defend the "perpetrator", clearly the officer has lost control of their selves.

Any officer who loses control of them selves, shouldn't be in that job. It's a tough job, many if not most people couldn't do it. And this appears to be an example. The other officer also seems quite rough, but never seems to cross that line.

There are definitely some lessons there in those cases like not having concrete walls along the tracks and not using concrete for flooring. But I love Montreal's stations with massive concrete arches, coffered concrete ceilings, concrete columns in interesting shapes and the concrete 'light tree', for instance. Those seem like creative flourishes by planners who cared about more than just "cheap and cheerful" design but who didn't intend to build expensive palatial spaces like the Moscow Metro.
Montreal succeeded in the art of Brutalism. Georges-Vanier station looks as if it were to belong in Robarts Library.

A fair comment until about half-way through the video. It's hard to justify simply pounding on someone that is being restrained and is no longer offering resistance.

If it's so bad that TTC staff are trying to intervene to defend the "perpetrator", clearly the officer has lost control of their selves.

Any officer who loses control of them selves, shouldn't be in that job. It's a tough job, many if not most people couldn't do it. And this appears to be an example. The other officer also seems quite rough, but never seems to cross that line.

I've heard that blows to the head are restricted. If thats true, then this officer could be in a world of trouble.

The guy in the grey shirt punched the TTC Officer in the head and back several times prior to the start of the first video, and the guy on the ground was combative as well.

The situation is no where near as clear cut as some are making it seem. And those who a have no experience or training in such incidents need to reserve judgement.

OK, if you say so. If you watch the full video, the punching constable shows up at 1:20. At first he is assisting the first officer with restraining the first guy, but then a big guy in a hat points out guy in the grey shirt (who I'm guessing was initially involved), and he goes and grabs him @ 1:32. At 3:07, the second constable (who arrived at 1:20) punches the guy in the grey shirt for the first time. Doesn't look like grey shirt punched him first, although he is grabbing his shirt at the collar, and I'll admit it is hard to see what happened prior because the video cuts over to them. At 3:52, he punches him seven times, all while grey shirt is being pulled away by the TTC employee. Grey shirt definitely does NOT punch him first before those 7 blows.

Last edited:

An eye for an eye is an unacceptable excuse for anyone...especially an officer. They are only suppose to use as much force as warranted (and if the only skill he knows to restrain a person is by punching its either a training or aggression issue)

I think it is interesting that the video has been up for nearly two months before it broke through to the mainstream. I figured it may have been taken a couple of weeks ago, a month tops.

I don't mean to live in a bubble, but I don't go out looking for videos of people I try to respect acting unprofessionally. Even if the TTC doesn't search YouTube for controversial videos involving their employees, I'm surprised no one who saw it prior sent it to them.

I think it is interesting that the video has been up for nearly two months before it broke through to the mainstream. I figured it may have been taken a couple of weeks ago, a month tops.

I don't mean to live in a bubble, but I don't go out looking for videos of people I try to respect acting unprofessionally. Even if the TTC doesn't search YouTube for controversial videos involving their employees, I'm surprised no one who saw it prior sent it to them.

Or how easily it would have slipped through if not for video evidence on public record.

AoD

Back