News   Oct 01, 2024
 1.5K     1 
News   Oct 01, 2024
 691     0 
News   Oct 01, 2024
 1.1K     2 

TTC Illegal Wildcat Strike - May 30 2006

Joe:

TTC: $200 per month for metropasses plus $32 per month for parking (I need to drive apprx. 3 x month when I have to go to locations not on the subway line) = $232

Car: $100 per month for parking plus maybe $150 per month at most for gas ( i have no idea what the added cost is for maintenance= $250

"What kind of math are you using to come up with that?"

It's not like someone that commutes via TTC is automatically going to get rid of their car and use the TTC for everything. What kind of logic is that?

borgos:

Perhaps the final straw has emerged recently with the realization that my obviously pregnant wife has not once been offered a seat on the subway. At first, I naively assumed that that would change as her condition became more apparent. No luck. I cannot express how utterly disappointed I am in my fellow passengers.

That's really quite odd - I have seen multiple occasions when someone gives up their seat for a pregnant woman (and having done so myself as well) on the subway - far more often than on MT.

As to the issue of apparentness of pregnancy, I have had gotten myself into an embrassing situtation asking whether someone is pregnant for the seat giving exercise, and alas, she wasn't.

AoD

I think the problem with your wife not being offered a seat is not so much Torontonians are rude, rather on the subway no one makes eye contact. If everyone is looking at the floor or some other fixed object, it's somewhat difficult and intimidating to look up - notice someone's pregnant - and offer a seat.

It's a comfort zone thing where people sit down and zone out until their stop.

My friend Anna marvelled at the seats offered to her when she was only showing a little bit, at like 4 mons. She's now 7 mos, and massive, and sits wherever she wants, as people always offer.

I didn't find out about the strike until I got into Toronto as I left at ~5:40 am to catch the festivities for bike-to-work week. A ride (Highway 48 and Holborn Rd, East Gwillimbury>across to Warden Ave>down Warden Ave to 16th Ave, Markham> across to Yonge St>then down Yonge St) that would normally only require 2.5 hours took 3 with the traffic on Yonge St.; but I got my free breakfast and lunch at City Hall.

For the most part, I practised lane-splitting on Yonge (from Finch to Bloor, and then came upon a peloton marshalled by the police through the streets) - taking the space between the lanes or along the yellow divided line, but never once did I ride on the sidewalk. What angered me most was the prevelance of single-occupant vehicles, whose drivers are oblivious to their negative impact. Even on the ride back home, when the TTC was back in service, there were so many vehicles with only one occupant. And what angered me the most was an ad for driving.ca on a TTC bus.

Like I said, this has been a disappointment. I fully anticipated more courteous behaviour - maybe I should not have given the daily examples of inconsiderate behaviour. Alvino, I know what you mean. Whenever I offer my seat to an apparently pregnant woman, I simply ask her if she'd like my seat. I certainly don't comment on her condition. Last time my wife was standing and I commented how surprised I was that no one was offering her a seat. No one got the message - or maybe they didn't want to get the message. I don't buy the argument that people zone out - they fail to see what they don't want to see. I manage to read on the subway and still notice if someone needs my seat.

I think a lot of people have been convinced by their wives, friends and co-workers that pregnancy does not equal illness, and so would not automatically offer a seat to a pregnant woman unless she appeared uncomfortable or in need of one.

Normally, my offer of a seat is refused unless the woman appears late in the 3d trimester.

Agree 100% - perhaps the picketers at Wilson yard/garage who decided to strike until 19:00 should be forced to pay as well.

"TTC to give back $4 to pass holders"

That still doesn't cover the $5.40 I was forced to spend on an express GO bus.

CBC radio reported that those who reported for work but refused to cross the picket line will still get paid.

Nor does it cover the 40% of my staff that got a paid day off yesterday from the office.

"TTC to give back $4 to pass holders"

That still doesn't cover the $5.40 I was forced to spend on an express GO bus.

That's nothing compared to the wage workers who didn't show up, and thus didn't get paid. The absolute poorest people missed work. At minimum wage, that's $50-60.

Meanwhile. Get a load of this guy in the Star's "voices" section.

The people may have risen to the occasion, but the government or TTC never has a contingency plan. Not for SARS, not for blackout, and not for this. No wonder people have to fend for themselves in this useless city.
Mark Collins, Toronto

Yeah, stupid useless city. They mayor should have started driving the bus himself, I guess. :rollin

^ I think it goes back to automated subway control and more automated forms of fare collection. Why don't we have it? The union doesn't want to enforce fare collection and yesterday they didn't even run the subways. In Ankara Turkey the Metro is fully automated using almost exactly the same rolling stock as used on the TTC subway although they don't have platform doors. If the will was there a way to keep the subway running during the next strike would be possible. Obviously this isn't the last strike we will see from the transit union... this isn't even contract negotiation time.

Back