News   Aug 23, 2024
 1.1K     0 
News   Aug 23, 2024
 1.8K     4 
News   Aug 23, 2024
 543     0 

TTC Illegal Wildcat Strike - May 30 2006

Re janitors: Most of the other positions in your "field" are overnight. Get over it, or get an education.

Re safety: doesn't the job description of drivers include collecting proper fares from passengers? You can't just change your job if there's somethign you don't like. But you can quit.

Re union: keep it, but overhaul it. This is their fault. Vent your anger toward the ATU - (416)-679-8846, or local113@atucanada.ca.

Re drivers: don't punish them over this because they had nothing to do with it. Most drivers are awesome, so give them your respect especially now.

Somebody still has to take responsibility and pay for what happend yesterday.

1) The TTC and the city should sue the union's ass for $5 million in lost fares and to offer a "free ride day" to commuters.

2) Bob Kinnear should be charged, sent to court and thrown in jail.

3) A full public apology should be issued by the union.

4) Janitors and nightcrew workers who refuse to move to the night shift should be terminated and replaced.

Louroz

"The people may have risen to the occasion, but the government or TTC never has a contingency plan. Not for SARS, not for blackout, and not for this. No wonder people have to fend for themselves in this useless city. Mark Collins, Toronto"

Yeah, stupid useless city. They mayor should have started driving the bus himself, I guess.

In the case of a transit workers' strike, the city should replace bus drivers with super-intelligent cyborgs.

They're working on it...

drew_21_driver.jpg

Somebody still has to take responsibility and pay for what happend yesterday.

1) The TTC and the city should sue the union's ass for $5 million in lost fares and to offer a "free ride day" to commuters.

2) Bob Kinnear should be charged, sent to court and thrown in jail.

3) A full public apology should be issued by the union.

4) Janitors and nightcrew workers who refuse to move to the night shift should be terminated and replaced.

Louroz

My thoughts exactly. I was thinking all day about the riders can be somewhat redeemed and I came up with a free ride day and a rebate of $4 on May Metropass holders who present it at any station. Redeemed $4 Metropasses would have a hole punched in them to prevent repeatedly collecting the $4.

Of course, all this would be covered by the Union, followed by a very public apology. Kinnear should be jailed and fired for inciting this illegal strike.

^ I think it goes back to automated subway control and more automated forms of fare collection. Why don't we have it? The union doesn't want to enforce fare collection and yesterday they didn't even run the subways. In Ankara Turkey the Metro is fully automated using almost exactly the same rolling stock as used on the TTC subway although they don't have platform doors. If the will was there a way to keep the subway running during the next strike would be possible. Obviously this isn't the last strike we will see from the transit union... this isn't even contract negotiation time.

But that's just silly. The guy above was saying that there needs to be a contingency plan for an out-of-the-blue illegal strike. Even automated subways need employees, or else its unsafe.

I hate what they did, and someone should pay, but that guy who said "useless city" is just a nutcase.

"In the case of a transit workers' strike, the city should replace bus drivers with super-intelligent cyborgs."

How bout:
johnnycab.jpg

Good to see that the TTC/city is planning to sue Kinnear's ass and discipline certain workers. Don't let that bully scare you folks.

Meanwhile Royson James is pointing all blame squarely at David Miller, insisting he could have prevented the strike (perhaps with those super-intellegent cyborgs). I won't bother linking or posting his drivel.

TTC Union remains defiant

Warns discipline will add `fuel to fire'
TTC offers $4 rebate to pass holders
May 31, 2006. 05:34 AM
KEVIN MCGRAN AND DONOVAN VINCENT
STAFF REPORTERS

A defiant TTC union leader Bob Kinnear had a message for Toronto yesterday ... lawsuits and disciplinary action will "add fuel to the fire," that triggered Monday's transit shutdown.

Kinnear's warning comes on the same day the TTC vowed to sue the union to recover the $2 million to $3 million in revenue lost during the shutdown and Mayor David Miller promised those responsible for the work stoppage will be punished.

The TTC also pledged to pay back $840,000 to the 210,000 riders with monthly or weekly Metropasses. The TTC will give $4 each to any patron who can present their May Metropass or Week 22 weekly or GTA pass at a ticket booth starting June 5.

Kinnear urged the city and the TTC to agree to a mediator to resolve the disputes that lead to the shutdown.

"It's unfortunate the occurrences (Monday) have not led to any resolution, or the appointment of someone like a mediator to try to resolve the conflict," said Kinnear. "There's no doubt that's what we need. Our local doesn't want to disrupt service to the travelling public. One way or another we have to get through these issues."

The TTC hopes to recover its losses through a grievance against the Amalgamated Transit Union. The commission wants the matter heard by an arbitrator at the Ontario Labour Relations Board.

That's the same board that issued a cease and desist order — which was ignored — to the striking workers early Monday morning and later a 2 p.m. back-to-work order which was followed.

"It was an unlawful strike and it was wrong. It's not acceptable particularly given the important role the TTC plays in this city," Miller told reporters yesterday at city hall.

"It's important from my perspective that they (the TTC) pursue the claim under the collective agreement because this (strike) is all about a fundamental breach of the agreement,'' an irate Miller said.

The mayor said the city is reviewing whether further disciplinary action can be taken, and restated the commitment to docking the pay of the 800 or so maintenance and mechanical workers believed to have led the wildcat strike at key locations across the city early Monday.

Some people called for punishment similar to that in New York where the transit union was fined $1 million (U.S.) per day and the union president sentenced to 10 days in jail for an illegal walkout in December. Premier Dalton McGuinty said the Ontario government has no plans to outlaw transit workers' right to strike.

Tim Gleason, a lawyer with Sack Goldblatt Mitchell, a well-known Toronto labour law firm said that a cease and desist order by the Ontario Labour Relations Board, a quasi-judicial administrative tribunal, is binding and comes with considerable penalties.

"It has a lot of clout and is binding on everybody," said Gleason.

If an order is ignored, the board, under the Ontario Labour Relations Act, can issue fines of up to $25,000 per day against the union and up to $2,000 per member.

Gleason said once an order is ignored, it is up to TTC management to either seek financial compensation through an independent arbitrator or go before a Superior Court judge.

Kinnear said a mediator could resolve the disputes over shift changes for some maintenance and mechanical workers, which ignited the work stoppage. There are other long-festering sore points such as health premiums, seniority rights and driver safety adding to the frustration among the workers, he said.

The strike shut down the TTC for most of Monday, leaving more than 700,000 commuters without their regular means to get to work or school. They had to walk, cycle or drive on what was the hottest and smoggiest day of the year.

Many just ended up staying home.

Meanwhile at city hall the blame game continued. Candidate Jane Pitfield argued Miller should have stepped in and prevented the illegal strike.

Miller said it was also important that he kept an arm's-length distance in the days leading up to Monday.

"I'm the mayor of this city, but if the mayor intervenes between an arm's-length agency (the TTC) and its labour union every time there's a problem, you can't have successful labour relations."

TTC Chairman Howard Moscoe said he had been talking to Kinnear regularly and that the two last spoke for about 10 minutes Sunday while Moscoe was on a bus in Saskatoon.

Moscoe had flown there for a meeting of the Canadian Public Transit Association.

with files from vanessa lu, Phinjo Gombu and robert benzie

A review of some of the letters. It appears two of the three letters published on the Star's website are from members of the good old 113.

Take a look at this guy's letter below. Wow! We all suffered for a just and noble cause! Just like in the US Civil Rights movement of the 1950s and 1960s! We should be happy we had to pay for loss employee time, taxi or GO fares, because there real suffering people are the $22/hour janitors who don't like working the night shift. What next? A TTC/ATU campaign saying "our illegal strikers are heroes!" Moron.

Wildcat strike a wake-up call
May 31, 2006. 01:00 AM

Workers slam on brakes

May 30.

As a proud member of Local 113, I stand by the actions taken by my union brethren that led to the loss of transit service in this city. For far too long, we as a major work force have attempted to take the high road in both contract negotiations and workplace concerns. I can no longer tolerate the anti-union rhetoric that is being levelled against the Amalgamated Transit Union Local 113 for what transpired and will not make any excuses for our actions. Being caught in the middle of a transit strike is no doubt difficult but then there will always be those who suffer in the pursuit of a just cause.

Let it be said the wildcat strike is a wake-up call to both TTC management and its incompetent commissioners that, yes, we have the will and the moral commitment to each other to effect such a day as this.

Daniel Kowbell, Toronto

On CBC Toronto news yesterday evening, they reported that the $4 rebate would cost the TTC $840 million! Someone at the CBC misplaced a few zeroes and didn't do the math on how stupid that was.

To: Mr. Bob Kinnear and the leadership of Amalgamated Transit Union Local 113

Re: Monday's job action

First of all, I would like to express my sympathy to TTC vehicle operators. I genuinely understand that they have an often difficult job, especially with increasing traffic, demands and the few unruly passengers that abuse your members.

This is why I am sparing the TTC bus and streetcars the brunt of my anger about Monday's illegal walkout, and directing it at you, the ATU Local 113 leadership.

I am angry that there was no warning, and that loyal, regular passengers - those who should be supporting your campaign for better standards for TTC employees - were left to fend for themselves. Some workers lost their jobs, but more lost a day's pay, and many had to pay for taxis or other alternatives such as GO Transit. Some small businesses lost prodcutivity, and those with consideration for their employees had to pay for their time off.

As TTC operators showed up to work but confronted by the pickets set up by maintenance workers, it is clear the safety of TTC operators was not the issue here, but the implementation shift change of a very small percentage of the ATU membership.

Furthermore, Mr. Kinnear and the Local 113 leadership made no efforts to take responsibility for the actions of Local 113. He dodged being served with the cease-and-desist orders. The union delayed attending the Ontario Labour Relations Board meeting.

If you wish to continue directing the blame at Mayor David Miller, please feel free. Like the unions who did all in their power to defeat Bob Rae's government in 1995, you will end up with a much less sympathetic mayor in Jane Pitfield. However, this appears to makes sense for an organization happy to engage in self-defeating activities.

Some of your members, such as one who had a letter published in today's Toronto Star, dismiss our concerns by saying that like with all just causes, some people suffer, as if he was comparing the plight of janitors who refuse to accept a shift change, all so common in both the public and private sectors, to the US Civil Rights movement. It is clear that ATU 113 are the ones out of touch.

I look forward to the TTC and the City taking legal and disciplinary action against you, Mr. Kinnear, the leadership of Local 113 and the maintenance workers who set up the illegal picket lines, particularly those at the Wilson Complex who continued to stike into the evening and kept the Yonge-University-Spadina line shut. You must be accountable to the law and to the people that you showed no consideration for. You have done a disservice to TTC passengers, all people of Toronto, and to the union movement as a whole.

Thank you for your attention.

Sincerely,

The majority of people who hated unions before, will hate them even more now. Kinnear is coming across as such an ass in all of this.

Back