News   Jul 22, 2024
 284     0 
News   Jul 22, 2024
 396     0 
News   Jul 22, 2024
 444     0 

TTC Illegal Wildcat Strike - May 30 2006

Last night I was out with some friends and the topic of TTC came up. What's interesting, 2 of them are regular TTC riders who take it to work and back. They will not renew their metropass next month and have decided to car pool with another employee instead. I wonder how many other commuters are making new arrangements and abandoning the TTC?

A defiant TTC union leader Bob Kinnear had a message for Toronto yesterday ... lawsuits and disciplinary action will "add fuel to the fire," that triggered Monday's transit shutdown.

That man has some bloody nerves in saying that! The TTC and the city should not hesitate one bit in suing the Union.

Also I'm outraged the union had the nerve to take out a full page ad in the Toronto Star today begging for sympathey and compassion for it's members? What a bunch of bull shit!

wemovetoronto.ca? Give me a break! The complete opposite is true!

Louroz

I did not see the full page ad in the Star. I will continue to understand the TTC vehicle operators - they're the ones who put up with the bullshit AND showed up to work on Monday.

But seeing the "We are Toronto...We move Toronto" poster at King Station today whipped up the feelings of anger that compelled me to write that above and email it to the union. (What did you think, apart from the two typos I noticed afterwards?).

Last night I was out with some friends and the topic of TTC came up. What's interesting, 2 of them are regular TTC riders who take it to work and back. They will not renew their metropass next month and have decided to car pool with another employee instead. I wonder how many other commuters are making new arrangements and abandoning the TTC?

Like other passengers who have a choice, I assess the pros and cons of public transit from time to time. In addition to cost, convenience and comfort, I also consider the impact on the environment. At some point, if the TTC commute becomes too unreliable or too unpleasant, many will conclude that too much is being asked of them and will abandon public transit. For me, the illegal strike was just another factor to take into account along with disgusting or inconsiderate behaviour by fellow passengers. Yesterday on the way home, one charming fellow spread out his Chinese take-out on the entire 3 seat bench (including the stuff he spit out on a paper bag) - this, during rush hour. Fortunately, he got out after only three stops. Unfortunately, another passenger decided that this was a good time to clip his finger nails -with the clippings flying all over. My God, what the **** is wrong with people? Do we need police to dictate civil behaviour? Maybe the TTC should put up posters with examples of rude behaviour with the caption "Don't be a Pig."

Maybe the TTC should put up posters with examples of rude behaviour with the caption "Don't be a Pig."
Indeed. I once observed a guy sneeze into his hand, which was completely covered in snot. He then proceeded to wipe it all off on the poles that everyone uses to keep their balance. I nearly puked.

From the Star...
060531_moudakis_cartoon.gif

Spm, are you sending that letter to the union? It would make a nice open letter to a newspaper that many of us could sign. I'd also like to urge the city to sue the union... any thoughts on how to push for that? Petition? I'm in a fightin' mood... this dipshit needs to pay a price for his actions.

I already sent it to the union, in order to calm myself down, but I'd be up for using it as the basis for your suggestion, ganjavih. I think sending a modified version of this to the Star, the Mayor, Moscoe and Ducharme as well as Kinnear would be a great idea.

From today's Toronto Sun...

The TTC is striking back after being brought to its knees by an illegal surprise strike by the Amalgamated Transit Union on Monday.

The TTC will be seeking damages from the union for shutting down the transit system, plus an extra $840,000 to pay for refunding Metropass owners $4 each for the lost day of service, Mayor David Miller announced yesterday.

"The losses are probably in the range of $2-to-3-million," Miller said.

He said it's important to pursue the claim, filed as a grievance under the collective agreement between the TTC and the ATU local 113, after the shutdown left 700,000 riders stranded.

"This is all about a fundamental breach of the collective agreement by not showing up for work," Miller said. "The TTC is serious about its claim."

GOOD CASE

Grievances usually don't get to arbitration and payouts are seldom made.

But Paula Rusak, who has practised labour law for more than 20 years, said the TTC has a good case, even though it's rare to see a union pay huge damages to management, as happened in New York City. That city's transit union was fined $3.6 million for a December transit strike, and its leader was sentenced to 10 days in jail.

"If management really wants to push it they certainly have damages and I think they have a good chance of succeeding,"she said.

The next step is for the TTC and the union to agree on an arbitrator to hear the case and set a total for damages. If that can't happen, either side can ask the labour ministry to assign an arbitrator.

A hearing would be held within 21 days.

Rusak said the employees who didn't go to work could face sanctions, anything from a reprimand to termination.

Bob Kinnear, president of ATU local 113, said this is just more litigation between the TTC and the union.

"That is going to show the membership their concerns aren't being addressed or recognized," Kinnear said. "I guess the mayor has decided he wants to ensure he can acquire some of the right-wing vote by showing he's not aligned so closely with the unions.

"It's a political move and I think it's unfortunate."

Kinnear said the union members are owed $8 million in Ontario health premiums, and if the TTC pays that, the union could cover the $840,000 Metropass rebate.

TTC chairman Howard Moscoe is mindful the commission and the union will soon be back at the bargaining table with a May 31, 2008 deadline for a new contract.

"It may be tempting to lash out and want to punish, but we have to try and make peace, not war," Moscoe said.

"There are those who say if you don't punish they'll do it again. I understand that, but let's balance that so it doesn't happen again."

At the same time, Kinnear must understand he doesn't run the TTC, Moscoe said.

"You can't engage in an illegal dispute that closes down the Toronto Transit Commission without suffering some consequences."

I did not see the full page ad in the Star. I will continue to understand the TTC vehicle operators - they're the ones who put up with the bullshit AND showed up to work on Monday.

Check out page A17 of today's Toronto Star. There is a FULL PAGE ad with a sob pr spun story about a TTC worker fighting for his life.

No mention of maintinance workers not wanting to shift to the nightshift.

Also read what that idiot of union boss' quote on the bottom of the ad. He just declared war on TTC passengers as well!

Louroz

I just looked over the ad again, and I still can't bloody believe the nerve of this union!

Louroz

against whom? TTC metropass subscribers might have a claim against the TTC, but certainly not against the union

One of the most interesting responses I seen to the Toronto Star:

I am the wife of a TTC maintenance worker. He was one of the 800 or so that walked off the job on Sunday night. I am upset and angry that the City, the Commission and Mr. Miller want to put the blame on the maintenance workers and not where it belongs: the union. My husband received a call on Sunday afternoon instructing him to 'stand with your brothers' and walk out. Why is only one group taking the heat for this wildcat strike? Unfortunately Mr. Kinnear pushed this city and his Union Brothers to the limit on Monday without gaining any ground or resolving any issues. I think he may be looking for new employment soon and I am in agreement with many - he deserves some jail time.
Leslie Irvine, Mississauga

against whom? TTC metropass subscribers might have a claim against the TTC, but certainly not against the union

You might be able to sue the union for intentional interference with economic interests or unlawful interference with contractual relations or maybe a new cause of action. Who knows? Maybe an enterprising lawyer can give it a try.

Back