News   Oct 02, 2024
 312     0 
News   Oct 01, 2024
 1.6K     1 
News   Oct 01, 2024
 739     0 

TTC Illegal Wildcat Strike - May 30 2006

During the illegal bus and subway strike in NYC last December, the Transit Union refused to abide to back to worlk order, the following fine was imposed...

On April 10, 2006, Judge Theodore Jones sentenced Local 100 President Roger Toussaint to ten days in jail and a week later, the union was fined 2.5 million dollars and suspension of automatic due deductions to all members

That will send a clear message, the actions of the ATU will not be tolerated here. Do our political leaders have the stomach for this? I hardly doubt it!

Ganjavih,

Hear, hear!

I think what you say applies to many of the unions, but certainly not all. I'd love to city and the courts get medieval on Kinnear et al, especially given their actions throughout today. I would not be up for discipling rank-and-file employees at this point, it's not they have much say in this matter.

From The Star
02:23 PM

Brian McLean, vice-chairman of the Ontario Labour Relations Board, ruled today shortly after 2 p.m. that a wildcat strike by some TTC workers was illegal and ordered them to return to work.

From The Star
02:04 PM

It looks as if frustrated Toronto commuters will be making their own way home tonight after day-long delays in getting effective talks going.
An Ontario Labour Relations Board decision isn't expected until 2 p.m., and Toronto Transit Commission managers say they need at least three hours to get the system rolling again - dimming prospects for an easy ride home.

Good luck folks getting home. Bring lots of water along, the current temp is 33C, but feels like 41C, and won't be cooling off soon.

I agree, Ganjavih.

I'm not pro-union, but I believe work stoppage is an option in times of contract negotiation and my sympathy lies with the workers.

I absolutely do not agree with this vigilante strike and support severe consequences for its organizers.

I shan't need to work out at the fitness centre after work today.

I'm about to drive a 40 foot long vehicle through it. Oi vey.

I'm watching now on CP24 that the union has told the workers to go back to their jobs. A news conference is to be held in 5 minutes.

I rode my bike from home (Richmond/Sherbourne) to my job in Don Mills (Lawrence & Railside) and it only took 1 hour and 5 minutes. In fact, I beat most of the people who drove the same distance. I wasn't thrilled about doing this on the hottest day of the year (thus far), but now that I'm here I'm pretty darn proud of myself.

This ATU local is so out to lunch and have done a huge diservice to the solidarity of the union movement. Let me tell you, I work in a union office and there's little sympathy for Kinnear in these halls.

Darkstar:
I beat most of the people who drove the same distance.
It was'nt too bad going north from downtown on the DVP. My drive took an extra 10 mins, but thats because of the car fire on the SB 404 at Finch, all those rubber neckers.
What route did you take? Did you take the bike path in the Don Valley through Charles Sauriol?

The CFRB traffic guy is reporting that buses are currently leaving their yards but streetcars are not.

I was wondering about that - they said buses and B-D would be up by 5, Y-U-S a bit later, no mention of Sheppard or SRT, and no mention of streetcars. Nothing new since the 3PM press conference.

Apparently streetcars are starting to roll. I would expect that service will return quickly to Queen and slower to other routes... espically St. Clair.

Kinnear is stating that employees will return to work tommorow, while his own employees are returning to work. Combined with his claims of it being a "lockout", the guy "in charge" seems to have no idea what is going on.

Aparently the strike continues at Wilson garage.

It seems obvious to me that spending needs to be reprioritized. Forget the subway extensions... time to install platform doors and automate train control.

Back