News   Aug 23, 2024
 1.2K     0 
News   Aug 23, 2024
 1.8K     4 
News   Aug 23, 2024
 543     0 

TTC Illegal Wildcat Strike - May 30 2006

I'm with Shawn. I still think unions are important - otherwise workers will be exploited much more. However, when unions are out of control, I'm quick to anger.

Local 113 is "delayed" in getting to the Labour Relations meeting, in order to continue to screw its paying customers.

Update from the Star

'It doesn't look good': TTC
Mayor: 'I just say to Torontonians, do what you can'
May 29, 2006. 12:02 PM
NICOLAAS VAN RIJN
STAFF REPORTER

Talks aimed at ending the wildcat strike by TTC workers are stalled this morning because union officials haven't yet arrived at the bargaining table.
The two sides were scheduled to have a hearing at the Ontario Labour Relations Board to resolve the issue this morning, but as of noon, no union representatives had arrived at the University Ave. offices.

A union official said a representative was expected to arrive by 12:30 p.m., but the delay means there's little likelihood the TTC will be back operating in time for the afternoon rush hour.

"it doesn't look good," said Gary Webster, general manager of operations for the TTC. "But we're obviously here to break the logjam."

The Toronto Transit Commission has threatened to seek a court order forcing its drivers, train operators and other employees to end "an illegal job action" that began when hundreds of maintenance workers refused to report for work overnight....

It's pretty clear Kinnear et al. have had this all planned out, playing hard to get knowing there will probably be a cease and desist order.

For one, I'd rather suffer more inconvinences than to capitulate to these inconsiderate fools. I wonder if the last contract can be ripped up, allowing for summary executions...err, I meant firings, since the workers unilaterally violated the terms of the agreement in bad faith.

AoD

Well I don't agree with this strike. But I hope it shows people how important the TTC is. My friend just told me it took him four hours to drive downtown from Yonge and Finch. Usually he just takes the subway for 20min.

miketoronto - I must have been stuck int he same traffic jam as your friend. I was trying to take the Go Bus from Finch station to Square One. Left at 7:55. At 9:05 was only at Mel Lastman square. I got off the bus and went back home.

That's insane! 4 hours down Yonge?!

I feel bad for everyone inconvenienced (I don't need the services of the TTC today), but especially for those heading across town. Service E-W north of Bloor is already poor, and I'm sure a strike inconveniences these people much more than those heading downtown.

Update # 2 on scarberiankhatru's commute: my class and tutorial are not cancelled, so I'll soon be walking to Unionville GO station to catch an hourly express GO bus to Union (the exact type of service that miketoronto has repeatedly proposed for the 416 and would have served me and thousands of others well today). Hopefully, this trip won't take more than 3 hours.

This was a stupid move on the part of the Union leadership.

They are literally holding the city of Toronto hostage.

I am so annoyed and upset that hundreds of thousands of commuters were left with nothing this morning. It is unfair that no advanced notice was given to riders. Think of the families, seniors and businesses affected by this strike this morning?

If the union leadership can't even work with a pro union Mayor in office, they have clearly spun out of control.

Louroz

40% of my staff got a paid holiday today. I'd love to sue the union for damages.

I live in little italy - work at yonge and sheppard. 2 cabbies refused to take me uptown - more money staying downtown, apparently. a 3 and half hour walk later, I arrived just in time to pass out on my desk. I am sooooo looking forward to going home. if there was a union leader in front of me, and I had enough strength to lift myself off the ground, I would surely hit them.

^ Maybe staying at home would have been a more reasonable option?

Time for Anarchy. The biggest bike lane in Toronto is now free. Take the Spadina ROW and feel safe for once!!!

Bwahh haa ha:D

060529_ttc_worker_300.jpg

The unexpected nature of the strike is really what makes the Union look bad. If a strike is going to happen, that sucks, but at least give us some freaking notice in advance.

They have already been ordered back to work by law, but are ignoring it, according to the newspaper.

I've held the opinion for a while now that unions have become too powerful, corrupt and too often promote laziness. I no longer have any doubts about that. While I wouldn't go as far as to say that we don't need unions, some major changes are needed. The first step would be for illegal strikes to have real consequences, as in the union leader spending some time in jail. Union leaders are abusing their power and it's time to nip it in the bud. This illegal strike has cost the city's economy millions of dollars already.

Labour is no longer the poor defenceless NDP-voting worker toiling under harsh conditions, union workers are now middle class, well-paid, comfortable, voting Liberal or Conservative and taking advantage of the old rules that are no longer relevant. Therefore, I would also revoke the right to strike, certainly for services such as the TTC. Striking is a pointless exercise that only causes disruption and accomplishes nothing. Labour disputes could easily be solved by arbitration, whether for essential or non-essential services and perhaps saving the right to strike for only very extreme circumstances. The status quo is unacceptable in today's world.

Back