News   Jul 16, 2024
 191     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 942     3 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 1K     1 

TTC: Flexity Streetcars Testing & Delivery (Bombardier)

This video in particular really shows just how crazy amazing it is that the fixed-bogie configuration of these trams actually works! There is no yaw between the bogie and vehicle frame, and the wheels are so close together that they have to "point" the entire first module in the direction of the track at the tangent of the bogie frame. That is a hell of a lot of inertia to overcome for such a close wheelbase!

As a mechanical designer, on paper I never would have thought this would work properly or be an acceptable solution - so it's incredible to me to see it actually working just fine.

I am sure now that the articulation configuration is like this:

Module 1: Bogie frame connected to car body with pitch axis only
Module 1 to Module 2: Yaw hinge only
Module 2 to Module 3: Yaw hinge only, maybe limited roll?
Module 3: Bogie frame connected to car body with pitch axis only
Module 3 to module 4: Yaw, Pitch and Roll hinge
Module 4 to Module 5: Yaw hinge only
Module 5: Bogie frame connected to car body with pitch axis only

This kinematic configuration fully defines each module but permits the required flexibility to navigate any track geometry (within limits). I keep waiting for a rainy day to make up a little SolidWorks animation showing this all.

Thanks for your photo examples - sorry, I get it now. I haven't ridden much of the streetcar network beyond the 509/510/511 routes, so I haven't seen any like this.
There's several examples on 511 Bathurst. Both directions at King and Niagara, southbound at Queen. And at College you can see the the ones for the 506 on College.

So traffic can flow on either side of it?
Yes, making them feel like a death trap - especially with toddlers.

And they are planing on removing the island, so it behaves more like a conventional stop (where traffic in the rightmost lane must stop), so that there is room for the LFLRV's ramp to deploy?
Yes, for the two on College at Bathurst, and one of the ones at Bay. Most however are already wider, and are staying - presumably with modifications.

The wrap on 4409 is offensive to any true public transit advocate, which we have all noted earlier.

Well, not all of us.

There may be some messages that do not belong on a public transit vehicle because they offend beliefs of some segment of society, or imply or enable hate or discrimination of some type against some group. But not this one. I can think of lots of ads that I would remove long before I got to car ads. In any event, judging TTC ads from an ideological point of view is a very slippery slope and invites a level of political correctness and self righteous thinking that is not justified. Even if - horror of horrors - it puts a few more cars on the road.

I saw this LRT today, and while it was not the best looking bit of advertising art I have ever seen, I was impressed with what a great canvas the Flexity is for this medium....so long and smooth, far fewer tweaks required by carbody features than an ALRV. I'm looking forward to what creative works may lie ahead. TTC can use the revenue.

- Paul

The wrap on 4409 is offensive to any true public transit advocate, which we have all noted earlier.

If automakers want to advertise their products on public transit vehicles, then dealerships should be allowed to give each visitor or customer who buys a car two tokens a day just for showing up.

Fully agree after seeing it first hand.

How many buses, let along streetcar of the existing fleet had have adds for car dealership that runs opposite of promoting transit? It boils down to money to fill TTC empty hoppers since the city not willing to invest more into TTC.

You will never see a car dealership chip in transit fare regardless if they don't buy, let alone buy.

One reason I shot the videos to show how tastily that add was.

They also have adds inside of it as well even on the ceiling.

25588269962_a7ee41c640_z_d.jpg

25614252081_65758e5e7f_z_d.jpg
25709382025_4e5d867bef_z_d.jpg

Does anybody know how much all door boarding has increased streetcar travel time?
How could it possibly increase travel time?

Increased? I thought the idea of all-door boarding was to decrease the travel time.
It is. Boarding time is significantly faster at busy stops, with people streaming through 3 doors instead of 1. I haven't seen a streetcar stuck through 3 phases at Yonge for a while. Doesn't make a whole lot of difference at most stops ...

Aw, come on. That's not really fair to laugh. It sounds like as reasonable an explanation as any for the delay. I'm optimistic they'll deliver. Let's see how April plays out.

I'm very curious how they'll slot in production of the 14 FLEXITY Freedom LFLRV's for Waterloo, as all 14 are scheduled to be delivered by year end.

"The TTC expects the next new streetcar to arrive in Toronto on March 29 with four more to follow in April. The commitment is to have 54 streetcars in town by the end of the year.

Toronto hasn’t had a delivery since before the 16th vehicle hit the streets Feb. 19. That’s because a delay in its Mexican plant, where there were earlier welding issues, caught up on the Canadian end."

If they will deliver one on the 29th, and four per month thereafter, they must now have enough components in Thunder Bay to have some belief that this is possible. I wonder how many deliveries they have received in the last month.

- Paul

"The TTC expects the next new streetcar to arrive in Toronto on March 29 with four more to follow in April. The commitment is to have 54 streetcars in town by the end of the year.

Toronto hasn’t had a delivery since before the 16th vehicle hit the streets Feb. 19. That’s because a delay in its Mexican plant, where there were earlier welding issues, caught up on the Canadian end."

So whats next? Door seals were failing QC? Seriously every time we approach a target deadline Bbr somehow magically pulls another Mexican excuse out of their ass... seriously can they not have a smooth month?!
Also why are they picking up this now?! 16 cars made it and now theyre saying they have welding issues? What was different in the production of the previous cars that would bring this new problem up? I bet they have a
master list of excuses that they can pick and choose from for their media releases on why they can't deliver. I wont be surprised if April comes around with another disappointing forecast.

This time, they really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really mean it. Fingers and toes crossed.

there is confirmation for something that was suggested recently here (apologies to those that posted it...can't remember who you were)

thestar.com said:
Fifteen cars are needed to furnish the entire Spadina line, the first that was converted to the new vehicles, said Ross. Harbourfront is also using new streetcars. But a report going to next week’s TTC board meeting will include a suggested change to the streetcar deployment plan, which had Bathurst as the next route to be refurbished.

So much for 56?? cars in service this year.

We are supposed to see 37 cars now based on this new delivery schedule and that should put the fleet at 4454 if 4402 gets return this year.

Will all these cars come with poles since the overhead is supposed to be done for getting cars to/from the routes??

Back