News   Jul 16, 2024
 140     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 288     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 1K     3 

TTC: Flexity Streetcars Testing & Delivery (Bombardier)

Correct, the bogie is attached to the frame with a pivot in the pitch axis only.

There were some hints recently, that the plan might change after 509.

How crush-loaded is 511 currently in peak - I only ever seem to ride it on evenings and weekends. I might hazard a guess that it might not be the first priority for relief any longer.

It gets pretty crowded in the AM peak sometimes, not sure about evening rush.

They aren't the ones taking the ads. Isn't it Pattison or someone like that? I think TTC's ability to say no within the contract is quite limited.

You're right. And Pattison is probably listening to clients who want to reach the 'not driving a car yet' demographic.

Yeah, I know that much, but that's what I'm asking - what are they proposing then? I don't understand what's changing. They talk about the streetcar going to the curb, which to me sounds like they're going to install little S bends everywhere to shuffle the train over a lane... Sounds like a nightmare.

To put it another way: when I read the original statement, the image above is what my mind makes... Which I know can't be right... So what are they actually doing. :)

What they are doing is removing the island platforms. I'm not sure you mean by "what are they proposing then?"...they are stating that the platforms will not be there anymore. That is exactly the extent of it. They are not replacing it with an S bend track, they are not installing bumpouts, they are not installing anything whatsoever to replace them. Again, when customers want to board the streetcar, they will stand at a curbside stop as with most streetcar stops, the streetcar will arrive, automobiles in the curb lane are required to stop behind it, and passengers will walk between the sidewalk and the streetcar to embark/disembark it.

What they are doing is removing the island platforms. I'm not sure you mean by "what are they proposing then?"...they are stating that the platforms will not be there anymore. That is exactly the extent of it. They are not replacing it with an S bend track, they are not installing bumpouts, they are not installing anything whatsoever to replace them. Again, when customers want to board the streetcar, they will stand at a curbside stop as with most streetcar stops, the streetcar will arrive, automobiles in the curb lane are required to stop behind it, and passengers will walk between the sidewalk and the streetcar to embark/disembark it.

I think they are keeping some of them if they can make them wide enough and long enough for the ramps and the streetcar. I know they just installed new ones on College when they redid the switch at Spadina and College. Most of the smaller ones will probably go unless they serve another purpose as well. Like the one at Main and Gerd does it helps divert traffic out of the way of the streetcar tracks

I think they are keeping some of them if they can make them wide enough and long enough for the ramps and the streetcar. I know they just installed new ones on College when they redid the switch at Spadina and College. Most of the smaller ones will probably go unless they serve another purpose as well. Like the one at Main and Gerd does it helps divert traffic out of the way of the streetcar tracks

This is in reference to the recent news articles about the fairly-but-less-recent TTC announcement of the reconstruction, specifically, at College and Bathurst, and College and Bay--certainly not all, or even a majority, of all of them systemwide.

On the 506 route there are, I believe, 5 island platforms. The 2 at Bay are being removed. The eastbound one at Bathurst is being removed, but the westbound one will remain and be rebuild longer/wider for the LFLRVs/ramps. The fate of the one at Gerrard and Main is unconfirmed but it seems obvious that it can easily remain, plenty of space for it, just subject to a rebuild.

Many have indeed already been rebuilt, and not removed. College and Spadina, Bathurst and Queen, Bathurst and King, Queen and Spadina, etc. are all nice and ready for LFLRVs. I know they exist on many routes--actually, I think every single streetcar route has at least one or two of them--King/Queen/Roncesvalles, Dundas W/Bloor, Queen/Kingston...not sure if those have been rebuilt or if they will even remain.

On a side note, it has just occurred to me that the 510's frequent detours in the past few months using Spadina-College-Bathurst-Bathurst Station have made use of the short/narrow westbound platform at Bathurst/College...I wonder if they've been servicing the stop? That platform is set back from the light a bit so I guess if an LFLRV pulled all the way up, its rear doors would probably be on the platform while the front ones wouldn't quite be on it but would at least be a bit apart from traffic. I suppose if a wheelchair user wanted to disembark there they'd be out of luck? Interesting edge case...TTC has a habit of not thinking through potential detour routing very well (see nonfunctional automatic switches/transit priority phase lights along Spadina for streetcars turning off the street i.e. at King/Queen, common detour routing).

Does anyone have a photograph of an "island platform"? Like when you say island platform, do you mean the style like on the 510/Spadina?

Does anyone have a photograph of an "island platform"? Like when you say island platform, do you mean the style like on the 510/Spadina?
I have various ones on my site. Was going to take some shots today, but never did.

There a a fair number of narrow platforms that can't be widen to either the Queens Quay or Spadina or St Clair style without narrowing the traffic lane or cutting the sidewalk. Narrowing the traffic lane or cutting the sidewalk are no nos.

TTC plans to relocate a number of existing stops to the point they have already done the curb cuts at the new location. I agree with these new location since I have already call for them.

TTC New Streetcar Platform On College St & Spadina Stop Taken on May 17, 2015
17988158725_71654f9abd_h.jpg

Taken on April 19, 2014
13953186676_b84f7a2996_h.jpg

TTC new platforms on Roncesvalles Ave Taken on July 14, 2011
5938232501_c63d1d8e0a_b.jpg

Last edited:
March 12

Fleet Loop was a ring around the rosy as a number of cars keep looping the loop until the supervisors told them to go into service. At various time, there was 7 cars for the loop with some waiting on Fleet to be loop. Fun to watch this when the LRV's show up.

4 ALRV were on 510 compare to the normal 1 or 2. Didn't see 4403, 4405, 4417 and 4408.

More up on site

This type of streetcar island platform that maybe removed if the roadway is too narrow to widen it.
College St at Bay & Bathurst will be remove. Add the westbound on Fleet at Bathurst as another one to be remove.

TTC want to rebuilt Queen E at Roncesvalles, but no money to do the intersection work at this time

March 12

Fleet Loop was a ring around the rosy as a number of cars keep looping the loop until the supervisors told them to go into service. At various time, there was 7 cars for the loop with some waiting on Fleet to be loop. Fun to watch this when the LRV's show up.

4 ALRV were on 510 compare to the normal 1 or 2. Didn't see 4403, 4405, 4417 and 4408.

More up on site
The wrap on 4409 is offensive to any true public transit advocate, which we have all noted earlier.

If automakers want to advertise their products on public transit vehicles, then dealerships should be allowed to give each visitor or customer who buys a car two tokens a day just for showing up.

The wrap on 4409 is offensive to any true public transit advocate, which we have all noted earlier.

If automakers want to advertise their products on public transit vehicles, then dealerships should be allowed to give each visitor or customer who buys a car two tokens a day just for showing up.
Fully agree after seeing it first hand.

How many buses, let along streetcar of the existing fleet had have adds for car dealership that runs opposite of promoting transit? It boils down to money to fill TTC empty hoppers since the city not willing to invest more into TTC.

You will never see a car dealership chip in transit fare regardless if they don't buy, let alone buy.

One reason I shot the videos to show how tastily that add was.

I have various ones on my site. Was going to take some shots today, but never did.

Thanks for your photo examples - sorry, I get it now. I haven't ridden much of the streetcar network beyond the 509/510/511 routes, so I haven't seen any like this. So traffic can flow on either side of it? And they are planing on removing the island, so it behaves more like a conventional stop (where traffic in the rightmost lane must stop), so that there is room for the LFLRV's ramp to deploy?

Back