News   Mar 28, 2024
 952     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 538     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 833     0 

Transit Fantasy Maps

Actually I've been to 'Asiancourt' many times, riden the so- called 190 Rocket which was never filled to capacity the way you'd expect the future potential subway route to be, saw the run-down GO station, yada yada yada...

I never said to abandon Sheppard East but rather to extend the SRT on there. Scarborough Centre despite it transit hub status today would gradually lose credibilty once the line is expanded, potential Markham Stn takes away routes 133, 134 and 38 and a Malvern stop alleviates the need for buses to leave the area to terminate so why dead-end a subway there? At least this is the closest we could get to building a Don Mills DRL without having to start from scratch.

Your opinion on this certainly is conservative.

I guess this is peak capacity. Once we reach it, maybe, just maybe, we'll get the DRL in what? 5, 6 years?

No. More that I remember what it was like in the late 80s when the subway during rush hour was more packed. I'm for the DRL, but would prefer (for the cost) more LRT throughout Toronto. What is another subway line heading downtown going to do? Add capacity to an area where the jobs are growing slowly vs. that of other areas. Instead of having a busy subway line, you have 2 half busy subway lines. An to accomodate the time when the yonge line does hit capacity, you could have a south-north ROW line.

You're assuming that the per capita ridership of the TTC stays the same, which is another "if". Per capita ridership is increasing, and has been for the last 10 years...................

... after it took a massive nose dive after the office market crashed in the late 80s. When the office market employment recovered in the 90s, so did ridership downtown.

My Recommended GO Train Modifications

GTATransit.png

SERVICE LEVELS

Lakeshore Line
- Hourly 7 days a week between Hamilton and Oshawa.
- Every 15 minutes during rush hours between Hamilton and Oshawa.

Mississauga - Richmond Hill Line
- Hourly 7 days a week between Union and Richmond Hill.
- Every 30 minutes during rush hours between Milton and Richmond Hill.

Toronto Loop Line
- Every 15 minutes 7 days a week.

Airport Markham Line
- Every 15 minutes 7 days a week between Brampton and Centennial.
- Every 15 minutes during rush hours between Georgetown and Stouffville.

Vaughan Line
- Every 30 minutes during rush hours between Bolton and Union.

Newmarket Line
- Every 20 minutes during rush hours between Barrie and Union

VIA Rail Services
- Rail speed improvements on the London - Kitchener - Airport - Union Line with 5 trips each way daily.
- Saturday and Sunday morning service to Collingwood on the Newmarket Line.
- Saturday and Sunday evening service from Collingwood on the Newmarket Line.
- Additional freqencies on all other routes.

STATION HIGHLIGHTS
- Zoo station on the loop served during zoo hours with train met by zoomobile to the front gate.
- Pearson Airport station with 27min service to downtown every 15 minutes and VIA Rail services.
- Loop line provides service every 15 minutes to Etobicoke Five Points Centre, just south of Mississauga Centre, Downtown Brampton, future Steeles West Station near York University, Yonge Street near Steeles with VIVA Yonge connections, walkway connection to Unionville Station and Markham Downtown, Pickering Town Centre, and Union Station.

Airport Line Travel Times
-----------------------------
Brampton - Bramalea = 6min
Bramalea - Airport = 7min
Airport - Etobicoke North = 7min
Etobicoke North - Weston = 4min
Weston - Black Creek = 3min
Black Creek - Bloor West = 5min
Bloor West - Union = 6min

Time Airport to Union = Approx 27min.

Enviro

I wonder if in your Map, where there would be demand for GO service along the already existing tracks that start around Cherrywood/Pickering, that terminates what looks to be Bloor/and where the purple/green/teal lines start seperating on the central-east side of downtown. You build a secondary train station there, with a stub shuttle subway line to the BD line. This little hub would provide a vital connection link to the airport as well for people not travelling downtown.

A North Station along the CP line at Yonge would be possible in the future.

For Bloor & Yonge bound passengers I would like to see:
- Fare integration between GO and the TTC.
- Having all trains stop at Bloor West Station that pass that point with a new indoor connection to the Dundas West Subway Station.
- New GO Station on the Newmarket Line for connections to Lansdowne Subway Station.
- New GO Station on the Richmond Hill Line for connections to Castle Frank Station and the new Don Mills LRT/BRT.
- Having all trains stop at Danforth Station that pass that point with a new indoor connection to the Main Subway Station.

The combination of Bloor West, Danforth, and Union stations should be able to spread the load out fairly well, especially if downtown streetcars/trams get some improvements that help them move more quickly. Union Station has plenty of more capacity available based on new platform access stairs to York St, Bay St, and a new GO West concourse so I don't think Union Station is anywhere near its limit yet.

"Actually I've been to 'Asiancourt' many times, riden the so- called 190 Rocket which was never filled to capacity the way you'd expect the future potential subway route to be, saw the run-down GO station, yada yada yada..."

So they don't deserve a subway because they're mostly Asian? If anything, Asian people are more likely to take transit. Maybe more people would take the 190 Rocket if it wasn't regularly at crush load capacity during rush hour and if it didn't sometimes take 30 minutes - not including the transfer! - to travel what a subway could do in about 12. Don't forget, the Sheppard bus overlaps most of the route. That GO station is served by 4 trains per day. A subway stop at Agincourt Mall would be within walking distance of maybe 30,000 people, yada yada yada...

So they don't deserve a subway because they're mostly Asian?

Your the only one on this forum that would skew something. He clearly isn't inferring that.

I think EnviroTO is exactly right about GO/TTC integration on the Bloor-Danforth line. Ditto for Oriole/Leslie on the Sheppard line.

A similar step to decongesting the Yonge line would be GO/YRT/YRT-VIVA integration in York Region. VIVA, in particular, does not even try to feed GO stations. If Langstaff, for instance, could be made a highly integrated GO train and VIVA hub, with local YRT buses equally handy, then people working down by King St. or -- following the Bloor-Danforth line -- on that axis of the city would have a much better alternative than going to Finch and taking the VIVA bus.

I have the impression that, were maps published showing what something like this would like look like within the local 416 dialling area -- i.e. immediately adjacent pieces of 905 included -- we would see public pressure for RER/Metro (Paris) style integration in Toronto in the same way that we see popular sentiment for more subway lines right now. It just makes sense, and the right map will make it look like express subway lines on infrastructure we already have.

quote: "He's not?!?"

No I certainly wasn't, it was merely an observation. If race alone were a factor Chinatown would have its own stop years ago. It's about density which albeit Spadina-Dundas has, Agincourt doesn't. Frankly Sheppard doesn't justify a subway at least not ahead of DRL and filter lines (modest extensions to city limits), new fleet of vehicles, wheelchair accessibility to all stops and still have money coming out of the wazoo.

Whats more how does this help anyone east of Kennedy? They'd still take the bus I suspect so in the end a billion or more spent on shaving the 10 mins off their commute from Agincourt to Don Mills. What's wrong with favoring a justifiable solution? I seriously doubt there's enough NIMBYs along Sheppard East to complain about a elevated SRT, which is futuristic, real-world, quick way to to bring mass transit to north Scarborough (I'd like to see RT into Malvern within our lifetimes, I don't know about you!)

OMG, I totally thought you were talking about Asian people! Are you sure, because you said Asiancourt...and there's lots of Asian people in Asiancourt!

I'd love to learn why everyone is so obsessed with bringing rapid transit to Malvern, yet Agincourt is dismissed as an insignificant wasteland. No, really, I'd like to know. Enlighten me.

"What's wrong with favoring a justifiable solution?"

As in an SRT extension from STC to Fairview via the Zoo? You're cute...have some cookies.
animal-crackers-record.jpg

Mississauga - Richmond Hill Line
- Hourly 7 days a week between Union and Richmond Hill.
- Every 30 minutes during rush hours between Milton and Richmond Hill.

This section really freaked me out for a while, until I noticed that your "Toronto Loop Line" includes much of the Milton line. 7 days a week 15 minute service would be amazing on such a line.

However, if any line deserves 7 day/15 minutes service it'd be the Lakeshore Lines (West and East). After that, you can consider 15 minute service on certain lines at certain time of the day, e.g. Milton line in Mississauga. Other than that I find it wasteful. The trains would be mostly empty. Unless you got some smaller trains for off-peak usage. O-Trains maybe? lol

Back