News   Apr 18, 2024
 1.3K     3 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 346     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 741     1 

Transit Fantasy Maps

Re. Wilson line. Not sure how but if you can get to Rexdale Blvd (crossing pine point park, or via Albion/Elmhurst/Islington) you can easily continue West eventually ending at the airport. Sure this area might be low density industrial waste land but it would also meet up with the Woodbine racetrack development and the numerous other transit options at the Pearson transit hub.

I think that's where this line would diverge more into fantasy territory (which I suppose isn't out of place for this thread).

Crossing the Humber River at Wilson would be one of the most challenging places to do so. A route via Albion and through Elmhurst or Irwin would be very slow, and would not be worth interrupting a low density neighbourhood. Simply cutting straight through would split a park in half, then either squeeze through Hadrian Dr or Allenby Av, or raze an entire suburb. Not to mention that the Woodbine development and Pearson Airport are in two very different directions. I think for Pearson we're better off with a grade-separated EWLRT, and Woodbine with all-day Brampton GO service.

If we really want to have good transit options for Etobicoke, I think instead of maximizing the number of Humber crossings, we should be providing a good way to get from one end to the other, either on Islington or Kipling between at least Bloor and Finch.

Hey guys, I was thinking... What if we weren't so quick to tear down the SRT's guideway?
66232122_10157472425442370_1659953732613308416_n.jpg
I like anything that has the zoo on rapid transit. I think attendance would improve a lot.

Oh, I didn't realize it was supposed to be BRT, I was thinking subway! Of course it would be pretty hard to get to Islington/Rexdale on just roads. That's what you get for not reading.

I like anything that has the zoo on rapid transit. I think attendance would improve a lot.
I worry zoos will suffer the same fate as marine animal parks.
they were set up to allow people to appreciate wildlife, and subsequently ensure public support or survival of the species.
Now, People don't appreciate their work and only see the downside.
Animal activists will soon say that these zoos should be closed and the species will become extinct due to harsh (mostly poacber) conditions

I worry zoos will suffer the same fate as marine animal parks.
they were set up to allow people to appreciate wildlife, and subsequently ensure public support or survival of the species.
Now, People don't appreciate their work and only see the downside.
Animal activists will soon say that these zoos should be closed and the species will become extinct due to harsh (mostly poacber) conditions

Surely, even if the Zoo were to go extinct, there'd still be a precedence to get rapid transit out to the eastern limits of town. The 86/85 from Sheppard and Meadowvale is like an hour away by bus from the nearest subway as is. People living in neighbouring cities to Toronto can get on the subway in less time.

Ba dum tss...
Hilarious and original.

Oh, I didn't realize it was supposed to be BRT, I was thinking subway! Of course it would be pretty hard to get to Islington/Rexdale on just roads. That's what you get for not reading.
Oh, no, I envisioned it as at-grade LRT, like the eastern leg of Eglinton. Wouldn't be as difficult as crossing with a BRT, but still in my opinion not worth the expense. I do think "Humberlea" is a better name for my The Elms station, though.

Ontario Line beefed up a bit to make it more useful to the surrounding communities:

Ontario%20Perfection_zpsddiw0ihb.png
  1. At distillery, the line is likely on a steep grade to switch from buried to elevated. Not sure there is enough space to put a flat enough spot for a station.
  2. I was liking your Liberty alignment, but appears that some current construction will preclude the curve from Queen south.
  3. one stops enough North of Danforth.

What can be done with Scarborough Subway, now that Ontario Line route is more or less set.

SRT corridor to Hydro corridor to Thorncliffe.
Here it would temporarily interline with the Ontario Line. The next phase of this Scarborough Line would forge it's own way downtown, through the valley, up Rosedale Valley, and down Jarvis.
Cost.
$0.2B for funicular from Lawrence East to Kennedy (1.5km connection to B-D).
$1.0B to rehab track from McCowan to Lawrence East (5km, 5 Stations).
$2.0B to elevate from Lawrence East to Thorncliffe (6 Stations, 8km).
$1.0B to lengthen all planned Ontario Line Stations to accommodate this additional demand.

Other phases
$0.8M Throncliffe to Sherbourne (6km ,1 station).
$1.5B to mostly elevate from McCowan to Malvern/Finch (4 Stations, 6km).

$6B? Down Jarvis, across King, and up Roncy? (haven't really thought about this route enough - maybe 12km up to ~St. Clair).

What can be done with Scarborough Subway, now that Ontario Line route is more or less set.

SRT corridor to Hydro corridor to Thorncliffe.
Here it would temporarily interline with the Ontario Line. The next phase of this Scarborough Line would forge it's own way downtown, through the valley, up Rosedale Valley, and down Jarvis.
Cost.
$0.2B for funicular from Lawrence East to Kennedy (1.5km connection to B-D).
$1.0B to rehab track from McCowan to Lawrence East (5km, 5 Stations).
$2.0B to elevate from Lawrence East to Thorncliffe (6 Stations, 8km).
$1.0B to lengthen all planned Ontario Line Stations to accommodate this additional demand.

Other phases
$0.8M Throncliffe to Sherbourne (6km ,1 station).
$1.5B to mostly elevate from McCowan to Malvern/Finch (4 Stations, 6km).

$6B? Down Jarvis, across King, and up Roncy? (haven't really thought about this route enough - maybe 12km up to ~St. Clair).

View attachment 196494

I think some of your costs are low-balled, but the concept definitely has some appeal. Especially, Phase 1 if it results in higher capacity limits built into OL. In fact, the Scarborough branch may become a permanent part of OL (the other branch continuing up Don Mills), if enough capacity is provided in the downtown section.

I think some of your costs are low-balled, but the concept definitely has some appeal. Especially, Phase 1 if it results in higher capacity limits built into OL. In fact, the Scarborough branch may become a permanent part of OL (the other branch continuing up Don Mills), if enough capacity is provided in the downtown section.
I actually thought my costs were quite generous. No a single bit of tunnel is being constructed - and none of the stations are especially complex in terms of integration with multiple bus routes, RER, etc. - with the exception of STC, which is an existing station requiring only a bit of refurbishment.
  1. From the "EGLINTON CROSSTOWN RAPID TRANSIT BENEFITS CASE" (the combined SRT/ECLRT), the demand was about 13k (ppdph). I can assume this will be similar for this direct Scarborough Line. Let's bump this to 15k for 2041 demand.
  2. From the "Ontario Line Initial Business Case", the demand is 20k (ppdph).
  3. Thus, 2041 demand is 35k.
  4. Using my 120m stations (20% larger than that assumed for the Ontario Line - the capacity would be 36k.
I almost think no matter what you do, two branches would swamp the Downtown portion of the Ontario Line - especially if you think about extending Ontario Line farther north. I would rather have redundancy with multiple routes, compared to a single line that carries 40k+

My plan is that this branching is an interim measure - with the new Thorncliffe to Sherbourne to King portion being complete by the early 2040's, or in conjunction with extension of the Ontario Line to Fairview Mall (or Seneca).

Last edited:

Back