News   Jun 24, 2024
 1.2K     0 
News   Jun 24, 2024
 907     0 
News   Jun 24, 2024
 569     0 

Transit Fantasy Maps

The only thing I can think of is that south of Eglinton the Jane LRT would be going through low density residential. Also this alignment doesn't allow for a direct connection to the Relief Line. Of all the possible alignments the one you selected is the worst. I suggest bringing the Jane LRT south to Dundas West via the Weston Rail Corridor to connect to the Relief Line. Either that or terminate the Jane LRT at Eglinton and extend the Relief Line north to Eglinton Ave @ Jane Street. The direct connection to the Relief Line probably mean that it will have more riders.

Thanks! Good point on the LRT. I might bring it down along Keele to meet up with the Relief Line.

I think you should move the Relief Line terminal to Dundas West. If you did the station would be a direct connection to GO, the Jane LRT, the Bloor-Danforth and the Relief Line. It's the perfect spot for a transit hub. If you leave the RL at Keele, passengers would have to waste time travelling a few stops via the Bloor-Danforth to connect to the nearby LRT, GO and subway lines.

I think you should move the Relief Line terminal to Dundas West. If you did the station would be a direct connection to GO, the Jane LRT, the Bloor-Danforth and the Relief Line. It's the perfect spot for a transit hub. If you leave the RL at Keele, passengers would have to waste time travelling a few stops via the Bloor-Danforth to connect to the nearby LRT, GO and subway lines.

Dundas West seems like the most obvious western terminus for a DRL, but it certainly isn't the only option.

Alternately, you could extend the Relief Line north to St. Clair where it could then interact with GO and the St. Clair Streetcar ROW as well as serve the heart of the Stockyards and Junction neighbourhoods. You'd also avoid any duplication of the Roncesvalles Streetcar. Any downtown-bound traffic would transfer at Liberty Village. A Parkside alignment would also be far more constructable than a Roncesvalles one due to the open space in the rail corridor and High Park.

Behold the (redone) frequent/rapid transit map of the Greater Golden Horseshoe and the National Capital Region! It's got all the routes we all know and love. :rolleyes:

PDF link

Gt46PD4.png

Please ignore the naming system for the routes: I haven't thought it through yet.

I'm in a rush right now, but I'll probably explain everything once I get some time later. Of course, any feedback is appreciated!

Nice, actually amazing!

A few items.

1. Pioneer Village Station is missing on the 1 line
2. Mount Pleasant Go has been renamed Bovaird on the map and the Bramalea-Steeles stop is just called Bramalea, In fact a lot of stations have been given generic names, but some haven't, it's not consistent.
3. Main-Hurontario line stop 'Hurontario-Steeles' will be named 'Brampton Gateway'

Thought I'd try creating something outside of Google Maps/Waterloo for a change. It's a work in progress (still need to add text/GO rail lines/fix the station icons) but I thought I'd get some early feedback anyways.

W23oCh8.png

Most of the lines should be recognizable, although I'd done some playing around with the DRL and the UPX/SRT.

The DRL is aligned via the Rail Corridor, Keele, King, LSB, Pape, and Don Mills. The LSB alignment allows it to serve the portlands. If it were to be built in phases, phase one would be from Sunnyside to Pape, phase 2 from Pape to Eglinton, phase 3 from Sunnyside to Mt Dennis and Phase 4 from Eglinton to Don Mills/Sheppard.

The teal line would be the Downtown Express RT line. It would run along the UPX right-of-way into downtown (express UPX trains would use regular trackage). It would then continue along the Lakeshore Corridor until it would cut off to meet with Victoria Park Station, following the Bloor-Danforth and SRT right-of-way to SCC.

The line could be constructed pretty much all at once since it largley using existing infrastructure and right-of-way. The only significant cost would be the tunnel from the former Main GO station to Victoria Park Station.

Last edited:
I really like the teal line as an alternative to the Scarborough Subway ― because of the limited number of stops, it would be a much more attractive alternative to the car time-wise. Having a RER service semi-parallel to subway lines (which, though more frequent, have many more stops) is a great way to allow for people to get from one end of the city to the other easily, much like Paris's RER makes a cross-Paris trip a breeze.

In the downtown core, Queen St. is pedestrianized between Spadina and Church to create a transit mall. Streetcar services along this stretch would be free, similar to Calgary's free-fare zone. Stops include Spadina, John, Osgoode Station, City Hall, Yonge-Queen, and Church.

I like it very much.
However, Toronto doesn't seem to like or have one single car-free street (except some very short stretch), although it makes all the perferct sense from Church to Spadina considering what a mess traffic usually is.
But how to adopt a free transit policy in this area? I guess presto will be able to tell where a passenger is?

Thought I'd try creating something outside of Google Maps/Waterloo for a change. It's a work in progress (still need to add text/GO rail lines/fix the station icons) but I thought I'd get some early feedback anyways.

W23oCh8.png

Most of the lines should be recognizable, although I'd done some playing around with the DRL and the UPX/SRT.

The DRL is aligned via the Rail Corridor, Keele, King, LSB, Pape, and Don Mills. The LSB alignment allows it to serve the portlands. If it were to be built in phases, phase one would be from Sunnyside to Pape, phase 2 from Pape to Eglinton, phase 3 from Sunnyside to Mt Dennis and Phase 4 from Eglinton to Don Mills/Sheppard.

The teal line would be the Downtown Express RT line. It would run along the UPX right-of-way into downtown (express UPX trains would use regular trackage). It would then continue along the Lakeshore Corridor until it would cut off to meet with Victoria Park Station, following the Bloor-Danforth and SRT right-of-way to SCC.

The line could be constructed pretty much all at once since it largley using existing infrastructure and right-of-way. The only significant cost would be the tunnel from the former Main GO station to Victoria Park Station.

I like this a lot. The two DRLs is a fantastic idea and will really get people off Yonge.

W23oCh8.png

I like it! A few small things:

1) It may be worthwhile to have the teal line and Bloor-Danforth share trackage until Kennedy. This way B-D riders would still have direct access to the ECLRT. You could have half of the B-D trains short-turn at Victoria Park, and the other half continue to Kennedy.

2) Why not extend the Sheppard LRT up to Malvern? It's already assuming the SRT ROW into STC, so why not continue it northeast?

3) Liking the complimentary BRT lines on there, both from a placement perspective and a graphic perspective. Not overwhelming, but enough to know that they're there.

4) May be worthwhile to have a Queensway and Lakeshore West LRT feeding into Roncesvalles station.

5) Any thought to adding GO REX stations? The teal line is already pretty close to GO REX already (if not already running GO REX rolling stock). Seems like it may be a logical extension to include those as well.

Other than that, looks good!

1) It may be worthwhile to have the teal line and Bloor-Danforth share trackage until Kennedy. This way B-D riders would still have direct access to the ECLRT. You could have half of the B-D trains short-turn at Victoria Park, and the other half continue to Kennedy.

If you're going to run BD trains to Kennedy anyways, why not avoid the expense of tunnelling the teal line between GO Danforth and Victoria Park and just run it along the existing rail RoW to Kennedy?

If you're going to run BD trains to Kennedy anyways, why not avoid the expense of tunnelling the teal line between GO Danforth and Victoria Park and just run it along the existing rail RoW to Kennedy?

I don't know that the cost difference would really be that much. Building the surface tracks, particularly between Warden and Kennedy, would require quite a few new over/underpasses, not to mention a pretty substantial reconfiguration of Kennedy, and over 1km of new surface track. The tunnel from the rail corridor to Victoria Park would be relatively short anyway, and Vic Park Station would need to be reconfigured in either scenario.

Great map. I really do like it. Great design, good plans. Nothing that makes me wonder "why?".

But there's -of course - nitpicks:
1. It's Main Street, not Hurontario Street, north of Steeles Avenue in Brampton (though I would be quite open to renaming it to Hurontario.)
2. If I had a nickel for every time I saw St. Catharines spelled wrong, I would be spending lots of my time and money riding transit systems around the world.
3. The red DRL doesn't stand out in the streetcar system.
4. GO does have long term plans to reroute the Lakeshore East to CP in Oshawa; leaving the current station to VIA and building a new station closer to downtown. The CP line is also better suited to serving Courtice and Bowmanville as well.

As for Hamilton, not a criticism of your map, but I'd prefer it so much if GO could just use one downtown station, rather than two different termini, a 20 minute walk apart from each other.

My fantasy is to buy CP's operations downtown, have CP operate its now minimal freight service via the CN Grimsby Sub and the (upgraded) Welland/Thorold short line tracks back to its route to Buffalo. That would get rid of CP and allow GO to run all trains terminating at Hamilton into the TH&B Station.

Last edited:

It's a good idea, but TTC subway gague is different from standard gague and I don't think it would be possible to gauntlet the tracks because the difference is too close. Also, I imagine the Downtown Express line's tracks would be 2-3 levels below the existing Victoria Park Station trackage, making the grade difference to connect the tracks a pain.

2) Why not extend the Sheppard LRT up to Malvern? It's already assuming the SRT ROW into STC, so why not continue it northeast?

Mostly because I'm cheap, and Scarborough is getting far more transit than warranted by its population.

3) Liking the complimentary BRT lines on there, both from a placement perspective and a graphic perspective. Not overwhelming, but enough to know that they're there.

Thanks!

4) May be worthwhile to have a Queensway and Lakeshore West LRT feeding into Roncesvalles station.

I've included it in my other fantasy maps for sure. I wanted to get an idea of how I was going to display GO lines to Union before drawing anything south of Union.

5) Any thought to adding GO REX stations? The teal line is already pretty close to GO REX already (if not already running GO REX rolling stock). Seems like it may be a logical extension to include those as well.

I'm actually envisioning the teal line as more of a rapid transit line than a REX line, mostly because it is using many of the stations already on the SRT and has subway-type spacing, but the line is definitely blurred.

Last edited:

Back