News   Jun 14, 2024
 2.1K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 1.5K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 794     0 

Transit Fantasy Maps

Scarborough is already served by subway...

I think subway extension along Dundas to connect to Hurontario LRT would make sense. An LRT line to serve the same purpose would be rather short. Dundas is as busy as Yonge (20,000 boardings per weekday for 1/101/201 combined in 2012), and entirely commercial, so it's not like the ridership or redevelopment potential is not there.

The primary purpose of such an extension would be serve Dundas, and integrate it with Bloor-Danforth, rather than merely give Mississauga riders a connection to downtown.

Compelling argument.

Anyone who proposes a transit hub for Mississauga at Sherway clearly doesn't know much about Mississauga. Any transit hub for eastern Mississauga would be at Cloverdale, not Sherway.

Doady I respect you, but Mississauga is not getting a subway because Mississauga does not want won. Maybe this should be a central issue in the mayoral campaign.

Compelling argument.

Anyone who proposes a transit hub for Mississauga at Sherway clearly doesn't know much about Mississauga. Any transit hub for eastern Mississauga would be at Cloverdale, not Sherway.

I live in Mississauga just not in the eastern segment of the city. When I said hub I didn't mean the single transit hub for Mississauga either. More of a hub between GO and the TTC. Cloverdale would be covered by the Line 2 extension which would link the subway to any potential Dundas BRT.

Doady I respect you, but Mississauga is not getting a subway because Mississauga does not want won. Maybe this should be a central issue in the mayoral campaign.

I live in Mississauga. Don't tell me what Mississauga wants.

I was discussing the merits of subway extension. This is a fantasy map thread after all. Mississauga actually wants LRT along Dundas (and is currently conducting a corridor study to that end) but Metrolinx is forcing BRT, maybe because LRT would be too short, to integrate with Dundas BRT in Oakville and Burlington, so that why I suggested subway as alternative to integrate with Toronto instead.

If you think improved local transit along Dundas or any east-west corridor in Mississauga would not be needed because of GO, you are wrong.

I live in Mississauga just not in the eastern segment of the city. When I said hub I didn't mean the single transit hub for Mississauga either. More of a hub between GO and the TTC. Cloverdale would be covered by the Line 2 extension which would link the subway to any potential Dundas BRT.

Sherway is not served by GO though. But I guess Cloverdale/East Mall is not great for that either. I think the best place for GO/TTC connect is actually Islington, but that's just my opinion. Islington is where the employment is concentrated. Kipling allows for GO/TTC/MT altogether (that's actually what's they're planning), but it's in the middle of nowhere.

I live in Mississauga. Don't tell me what Mississauga wants.

I was discussing the merits of subway extension. This is a fantasy map thread after all. Mississauga actually wants LRT along Dundas (and is currently conducting a corridor study to that end) but Metrolinx is forcing BRT, maybe because LRT would be too short, to integrate with Dundas BRT in Oakville and Burlington, so that why I suggested subway as alternative to integrate with Toronto instead.

If you think improved local transit along Dundas or any east-west corridor in Mississauga would not be needed because of GO, you are wrong.

Woah Woah Woah, let's back up here. Nominally I support the extension to square one, but the city council has not called or acted for it. If LRT is Mississauga's choice, then I respect that completely as well. One compromise would be to run the subway to square one, and terminate the BRT at Square one.

Sherway is not served by GO though. But I guess Cloverdale/East Mall is not great for that either. I think the best place for GO/TTC connect is actually Islington, but that's just my opinion. Islington is where the employment is concentrated. Kipling allows for GO/TTC/MT altogether (that's actually what's they're planning), but it's in the middle of nowhere.

Doady it doesn't sound like you read what I wrote. TTC-GO hub at Sherway is dependent on rerouting the Milton line underneath the Queensway-Queen St. That effectively shifts the current GO-TTC link from Kipling down to Sherway while also serving Cloverdale and a Dundas BRT/LRT or whatever mode is constructed. I figure it would make for a faster, more direct route into downtown, especially from stations like Erindale, Cooksville, and Dixie, thus eliminating any need for Line 2 entering Mississauga.

Last edited:

I have to second you here on moving the GO hub to Islington due to the amount of potential that exists for the further densification; creating a real downtown. It would also be nice to have the subway extended to Sherway Gardens mostly to get traffic off the Gardiner (although you'd still have MT routes on the Queensway terminate there)

[EDIT] now that I think about it, moving the Mimico GO station to Park Lawn Road would probably get traffic off the Gardiner more effectively...

Last edited:
NORTHERN NEW HIGHWAYS[/B]
417 - Extended from Arnprior all the way to Sudbury.

Expansion of 417 doesn't make too much sense west of Petawawa towards North Bay any time in the next 50 years (or 10). There is virtually no traffic as well it is expensive with all the rock cuts. Some of the other Northern ones like around Temiskaming just don't have the traffic volume and likely won't in the next 50 years to justify building. Also, I'd consider extending wider 401 beyond Hespler to the 8 interchange, unless you're assuming it's already confimred expansion in this part?

Thought I would create a huge infrastructure fantasy map, of multiple different kinds.

My wishlist of what transportation infrastructure should look like in Ontario on January 1st, 2025.

I first wanted to thank you for the immense amount of work that has been put into this. I did notice one small but crucial piece of freeway missing though; the Highway 6 Morriston Bypass. I am familiar with the 2-lane section through Morriston and can attest there is no room to widen it, and it is consistently backed up. A new alignment for Highway 6 is currently part of the Ontario Southern highways program as being built past 2016 and much of the work on the interchange is set to be done as part of the Hespeler-Halton 401 project.

Agreed with the last two comments with regards to highway twinnings.

Hwy 17 twinning makes no sense between Petawawa and about 10 kilometres east of North Bay, except for a Mattawa bypass and more passing lanes. Highways 11 and 17 might need to be converted to full freeway through Notth Bay.

Between Sudbury and North Bay, upgrades are due; though I'm not sure a full freeway upgrade is necessary. I am okay with incremental Hwy 17 twinnings between Sault Ste. Marie and Sudbury (esp. Espanola to Whitefish) and from Nipigon to Hwy 11/17 west of Thunder Bay and again from Dryden to Manitoba.

Yes, the new Hwy 6 freeway around Morriston is a priority as well (as is 7/8 to Stratford and 7 from Carleton Place to Perth via new alignment.)

Highway 26 New should bypass Barrie from the south and west.

Ontario Fantasy Rail Map

r6FOrUy.png

RED is HSR Track (Built to a standard of at least 200 km/h in urban areas with an optimal countryside speed of 325 km/h)
BLACK is all-day 2-Way service, either regional or intercity. These lines would have priority for electrification within the GGH. Intercity service outside the GTA would use dual-mode locomotives.
GRAY is peak rush-hour service only (Toronto Union bound)

Some example service on the HSR and Intercity Lines. For simplicity, I've excluded local stops on the GO network which would operate below the Regional level at the Local level (this list is by no means exhaustive)

[COLOR="#Eglintoncc3333"]HSR[/COLOR]
TORONTO-OTTAWA-MONTREAL (Express)
TORONTO-OSHAWA-KINGSTON-OTTAWA-DORVAL-MONTREAL
TORONTO-PEARSON-KITCHENER-LONDON
TORONTO-NIAGARA FALLS-BUFFALO---NYC
TORONTO-HAMILTON-ST CATHARINES-NIAGARA FALLS

Regional
Windsor-LONDON (Express)
Windsor-Tecumseth-Chatham Kent-Glencoe-Mt Bridges-LONDON (All Stops)
Sarnia-Strathroy-LONDON

LONDON-Woodstock-Brantford-LONDON (Limited Stop)
LONDON-Dorchester-Ingersoll-Woodstock-Paris-Brantford-Dundas-HAMILTON

LONDON-Stratford-KITCHENER-Guelph-Georgetown-Brampton-PEARSON-TORONTO
LONDON-Fanshawe-St Marys-Stratford-Shakespeare-New Hamburg-Ira Needles-KITCHENER (All Stops)
Galt-Preston-Hespeler-Guelph-Georgetown-Brampton-PEARSON-TORONTO

TORONTO---Pearson Int'l Terminal 1 (UP Express/UP Local)

TORONTO-Islington-Square One (Limited) (Kipling station has been removed)

TORONTO-Port Credit-Oakville-Aldershot-HAMILTON-Centennial-Grimsby-ST CATHARINES-NIAGARA FALLS

TORONTO-Barrie (Express)
TORONTO-Downsview-Maple-Newmarket-Barrie (Limited)

TORONTO-Eglinton East-Pickering-OSHAWA-Port Hope-Coburg-Brigton-Trenton-Belleville-Napanee-KINGSTON (All Stops)

KINGSTON-Brockville-Smiths Falls-Barrhaven-OTTAWA (All Stops)

KINGSTON-Brockville-Prescott-Cornwall-Coteau-DORVAL-MONTREAL (All Stops)

Back