News   Jun 14, 2024
 1.9K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 1.4K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 781     0 

Transit Fantasy Maps

I disagree — those lines don't serve London as much as they serve Brantford, Hamilton, Stratford, Woodstock, etc. With rising driving costs (which are arguably already unaffordable) and preferences shifting away from driving, any community hoping to attract people, industry and investment will quite probably require a rail connection.

As for the 2025 plan, I would add transit in EO: RER to Kanata, Orleans and Barrhaven and regional rail to Arnprior, Perth, Alexandria, Petawawa (as an alternative to a much more expensive extension of the 417) and Carleton Place. Most of this could be very easily and cheaply implemented on underused or unused rail corridors.

Here is my vision for regional style rail in the GTA. Lakeshore East and West, Milton and Stouffville, and the Kitchener and Richmond Hill lines have all been combined. The Barrie line is the sole line remaining intact. These new lines have also been renamed Lines A through D for simplicity.

The Milton (Line B) and Richmond Hill (Line C) lines have been rerouted to allow for faster service. After Dixie, Line C heads underground towards Sherway and continues directly for downtown under the Queensway/Queen St. until east of the DVP. Line C follows a rebuilt railway ROW through the Don Valley and Leaside.

City Hall station would serve as another transit hub to ease congestion away from Union. Think of a Penn Station type hub. The DRL would offer more localized service with the underground rail tunnel on Queen serving longer trips.

System Overview:
nyxoQdt.jpg

kp0lbaR.jpg

DRL and Queen St. Rail Tunnel:
ZupTk53.jpg

Line 2 Extension and Milton GO rerouting: Mimico on Line A is moved east and renamed Park Lawn while a the old Mimico station is moved north to Line B at Queensway-Royal York.
Gt9xaYW.jpg

Line 2 Scarborough extension:
KPvFgTb.jpg

Last edited:
Behold the (redone) frequent/rapid transit map of the Greater Golden Horseshoe and the National Capital Region! It's got all the routes we all know and love. :rolleyes:

PDF link

Gt46PD4.png

Please ignore the naming system for the routes: I haven't thought it through yet.

I'm in a rush right now, but I'll probably explain everything once I get some time later. Of course, any feedback is appreciated!

You get the award for most beautiful fantasy map.

Criticism:

The only thing I can think of is that south of Eglinton the Jane LRT would be going through low density residential. Also this alignment doesn't allow for a direct connection to the Relief Line. Of all the possible alignments the one you selected is the worst. I suggest bringing the Jane LRT south to Dundas West via the Weston Rail Corridor to connect to the Relief Line. Either that or terminate the Jane LRT at Eglinton and extend the Relief Line north to Eglinton Ave @ Jane Street. The direct connection to the Relief Line probably mean that it will have more riders.

Last edited:
Behold the (redone) frequent/rapid transit map of the Greater Golden Horseshoe and the National Capital Region! It's got all the routes we all know and love. :rolleyes:

PDF link

Please ignore the naming system for the routes: I haven't thought it through yet.

I'm in a rush right now, but I'll probably explain everything once I get some time later. Of course, any feedback is appreciated!

Beautiful map. I found it interesting that GO lines are thicker than subway & LRT however, since I'd assume they are lower frequency.

I like that you included frequent bus lines.

In the KW section, the route you have labelled as iXpress 206 recently launched as the iXpress 203.

Jesus I might as well have not bothered to post my map after seeing Mafalda Boy's lol. Well done.

What are the best map making programs out there? Must rid overwhelming sense of mediocrity.

Thanks everyone for the feedback.

Here are my envisioned frequencies for each mode of transport:
Regional rail: 15min or better
Arterial bus: 10min or better
Bus rapid transit: 10 min or better (most routes)
Light rail transit: 10min or better
Subway: 3min or better

All stations/stops would be climate controlled and PRESTO fare payment would be available for all services.

For regional rail services, I added express services to each line that only services stations at UGCs and major transfer points; these would run at peak periods only, and would use either single-level or bi-level EMUs depending on demand.

In the downtown core, Queen St. is pedestrianized between Spadina and Church to create a transit mall. Streetcar services along this stretch would be free, similar to Calgary's free-fare zone. Stops include Spadina, John, Osgoode Station, City Hall, Yonge-Queen, and Church.

Cambridge and Kitchener regional rail services end at a new station located at Cherry Street, adjacent to the Distillery District and the West Don Lands.

As for fare payment, I believe that an unlimited-access within a set time (2-2.5 hours) would be the easiest to implement and is fairly straightforward. PRESTO would have a discounted fare over cash and would allow for free transfers between modes and between agencies within the time period allocated.

Light rail and bus rapid transit should have signal priority at ALL intersections. It doesn't really make sense to have "higher-order" transit wait for a traffic cycle as that defeats the purpose of any dedicated transit lane IMO.

I finished the map before the high-speed rail links were announced, so I didn't get a chance to put them on. However I would align it roughly along the Kitchener line with a stop in Kitchener, a stop at Malton Station near the International Centre, and at Union. I don't think high-speed rail should have stops in areas like Guelph and Brampton where an easy transfer with a wait of 15 min or less can be made onto regional rail.

As for naming routes, I have given it some thought, and the best method I could come up with is assigning the subway and light rail routes a number within a circle (subway routes start the list with lines 1, 2, 3, and the light rail routes use numbers 4 and up), and assigning the regional rail lines with letters within a square. Local bus routes would avoid numbers under 100, with the lowest possible bus route number being route 101. I believe this is how it is done in many cities (like Paris), but I'm not entirely sure of it.
Bus rapid transit is a bit odd because of how flexible the bus services can be (i.e. many local bus services can utilize BRT infrastructure vs. a single BRT route along the entirety or a portion of the busway), so I'll probably refer to them on the map as BRT infrastructure rather than actual services.

You get the award for most beautiful fantasy map.

Criticism:

The only thing I can think of is that south of Eglinton the Jane LRT would be going through low density residential. Also this alignment doesn't allow for a direct connection to the Relief Line. Of all the possible alignments the one you selected is the worst. I suggest bringing the Jane LRT south to Dundas West via the Weston Rail Corridor to connect to the Relief Line. Either that or terminate the Jane LRT at Eglinton and extend the Relief Line north to Eglinton Ave @ Jane Street. The direct connection to the Relief Line probably mean that it will have more riders.

Thanks! Good point on the LRT. I might bring it down along Keele to meet up with the Relief Line.

You swapped Rosedale and Summerhill stations.

Whoops, I'll fix that, thanks.

Perhaps the Scarborough RT and Malvern LRTs could be a circle line.

I'm not very sure of the possible benefits that will come with combining the two LRTs into a circle line. Could you explain? Thanks for the input.

Beautiful map. I found it interesting that GO lines are thicker than subway & LRT however, since I'd assume they are lower frequency.

I like that you included frequent bus lines.

Thanks! I made the regional rail lines thicker to provide better identification between the two (and also allows me to reuse colours, haha). I decided to include a frequent bus network because of how important buses are to the system as a whole (areas without sufficient density to support expensive rapid transit lines should at least have a network of frequent buses to get people to the closest one to them) and to emphasize the integration between modes.

^Very cool MafaldaBoy, although, personally I'd have LRT & BRT at 5 min or better. I think BRT & LRT should have similar frequencies as subways in general, or at least not much worse.

^Very cool MafaldaBoy, although, personally I'd have LRT & BRT at 5 min or better. I think BRT & LRT should have similar frequencies as subways in general, or at least not much worse.

10 min or better is not unreasonable for LRT. It's not unusual to see our subways with 7 min headway.

Back