568     0 

Transit City Plan

Which transit plan do you prefer?

• Transit City

Votes: 95 79.2%
  • Ford City

Votes: 25 20.8%

• Total voters
My God. Thompson and Minnan-Wong appear to have voted for the Stintz plan.

ivXPiJNvRrfTO.png

Council votes 28 to 15 to set up an expert panel on what to build on Sheppard Avenue. -- Natalie Alcoba tweet

As far as I can tell:

The Finch West LRT, Eglinton LRT and Sheppard LRT (in the case of Sheppard for the time being) were all re-approved.
An expert panel is being formed on what to do with Sheppard (whether LRT or subway). This was supposed to be a compromise so that Ford would save face on his "SUBWAYS!" platform.
Motion to delay the vote by 30 days failed.

Lots of other ones as well, including I believe a motion to establish more women on the expert panel so as to support equality.

I hope you all realize that Metrolinx and the Province have the final say in the end. The most crucial point here is that contrary to past projects, The Eglinton Crosstown is property of the province and Metrolinx.

They are biased to the underground scenario and I wouldn't be surprised that they will use the election to support their decision

Solid Snake:

Of course it is - but the optics of them ignoring the wishes of the council, which is the body truly vested with the power in the city, would be absolutely horrid. If their intention is to go it alone, they could have played that card on day one and avoided this rather awkward situation. Can't have your legitimacy cake and not eat it too.

AoD

They are biased to the underground scenario and I wouldn't be surprised that they will use the election to support their decision

No, they are biased to a GRADE-SEPARATED scenario. It's just been twisted and assumed by most people that grade-separated means underground.

Congratulations to everyone who supported Transit City. This victory means that Torontonians will once again have a great public transit system. And to all against Transit City: In time you will see that Transit City was the right choice. This decision will benefit everyone in Toronto.

Solid Snake:

Of course it is - but the optics of them ignoring the wishes of the council, which is the body truly vested with the power in the city, would be absolutely horrid. If their intention is to go it alone, they could have played that card on day one and avoided this rather awkward situation. Can't have your legitimacy cake and not eat it too.

AoD

Right. If Metrolinx had ultimate authority, they wouldn't have bothered asking the city for a position. McGuinty has already said that he would support the decision of council, and since Metrolinx works under the province, they're almost obliged to support the Premier.

Back