792     0 

Transit City Plan

Which transit plan do you prefer?

• Transit City

Votes: 95 79.2%
  • Ford City

Votes: 25 20.8%

• Total voters
So are the Eglinton LRT and SRT conversion going to be connected as one line?

They were always going to be physically connected in both TC and Ford versions. The only question was whether the TTC would operate through-service on the tracks.

If I'm reading it right, I think they will study the pros and cons of SRT to LRT conversion versus Danforth subway extension to STC, as a means to avoid having no rapid transit between Kennedy and STC during construction and/or replacement.

The downside of this is that Centennial College and Malvern would likely never see rapid transit lines in a very long time.

According to Robert Benzie (Star's Queen's Park Bureau chief):

robertbenzie Robert Benzie
Transportation Minister @Bob_Chiarelli warns that "there is no more money beyond the $8.4b committed for Transit City/Ford scheme." #onpoli #topoli

http://twitter.com/robertbenzie

why did he call it Transit City/Ford Scheme?

Last edited:
LOL, considering the changes, he should have just said "the schemes". No matter, what's important has already been said, leave the semantics to the spinners.

AoD

This is what I hope happens tomorrow:

Faced with certain defeat, Ford flips last minute and offers an amendment. Build Transit City but leave out Sheppard. Put that money towards his private/public development of the subway. If as the Chong report claims, 50-60% of the Sheppard line can be funded by the private sector, then even if the Sheppard LRT money puts up 20-30%, then the city can find the remaining 10-20%. Most people are forgetting that this is free money. The city isn't paying a dime. If we take the Sheppard LRT money and invest it in a start up fund for a Sheppard subway, it's possible that the money from private developers can be raised WaterfronToronto style and the city can pay for the rest as a capital project.

Ford can still come out a winner, but somehow I imagine him working against his own self preservation out of sheer pigheadedness. While most of me wants to see him crash and burn in a major defeat that will take him down for the rest of his time as Mayor, I do want transit built properly in this city.

I agree with Transit City as a well though out plan designed by experts but I find building an LRT on Sheppard too late of a decision now that we've starting building a subway there. If built as a subway, it could eventually be part of a continuous loop if linked to the Bloor Danforth line.

Yay for me. I got exactly what I wanted. Transit City but leave out Sheppard. The cherry on top is that Ford still came out a loser. He didn't have to offer the amendment because Stintz' motion did.

Sanity prevails. Hopefully we end up with LRTs on Eglinton, Finch and replacing the SRT and a Sheppard subway extension in both directions to Vic Park and Downsview. in 2020 when all these projects are completed or near completed, we can then look at continuous expansion of the Eglinton and Finch LRT to the Airport eventually completing a loop. The obvious next big project is the DRL although the addition of these LRT lines will begin to relieve pressure on the Bloor & Yonge transfer by improving the utility of the University-Spadina line.

Transportation Minister @Bob_Chiarelli warns that "there is no more money beyond the $8.4b committed for Transit City/Ford scheme." #onpoli #topoli

why did he call it Transit City/Ford Scheme?

I'm actually heartened and surprised by the fact that they keep repeating the $8.4 billion figure.

Transportation Minister @Bob_Chiarelli says QP " respects will of council" on Transit City. #onpoli #topoli

I think the brothers have officially been PWNED.

AoD

Awesome news! The province is onboard and the LRTs are being built. And theres nothing that the Ford twins can do about it.

Metro:

I think the city/council need to bite the bullet and commit to DRL, alone or with the province, even if it mean having to use all kinds of revenue tools, choosing the private sector for design/build (of a high quality) and going into debt.

AoD

Yes. I think the time is ripe for that, now that the emperor has bared all and conjuring subways out of thin air has finally been demonstrated to be a financial (or electoral?) Ponzi scheme.

AoD

Solid Snake:

Of course it is - but the optics of them ignoring the wishes of the council, which is the body truly vested with the power in the city, would be absolutely horrid. If their intention is to go it alone, they could have played that card on day one and avoided this rather awkward situation. Can't have your legitimacy cake and not eat it too.

AoD

But you do know that Ford will be like a broken record and repeat over and over that city council ignored the will of the electorate. Like I said, the province own the line and as I followed the session throughout the day that Metrolinx always favored the underground option to which Webster couldn't deny.

Back