News   Jul 12, 2024
 860     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 774     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 324     0 

Transformation AGO (5s, Gehry) COMPLETE

On a recent visit with Emily Carr I noticed how beautiful some of the buildings on Dundas opposite the AGO are. With a little spit and polish they will make a nice contrast with the aesthetic of the new museum.

I don't doubt that those townhouses will become a high commodity once the AGO's Dundas façade nears completion.

I'm not too worried that we're gonna have to look at ulgy townhouses from the new sculpture gallery. I'm fairly certain that they'll be put to good use.

What I am concerned about is the streetscape: will we have to live with those streetcar wires hung off ugly posts and will the AGO follow the ROM by spending multi million dollars on the building and $10 bucks on the sidewalk landscaping? Granted, the AGO's sidewalk will mostly be city property (the ROM owns the court in front of the Crystal), but I sure hope they build a nice promenade at sidewalk level.

Well, they're ripping up the entire street for the TTC track replacement, I sure hope they decide to bury the hydro/telecom wires. Tourists taking pictures of the new AGO will have their pics impaired by criss crossing lines everywhere.

There will almost always be a few above-ground wires along streets with electric transit service, apart from the hangers and the contact wires. Vancouver almost has no above-ground wires along the main streets, except a few that feed the ETB wiring system. Same with SF. Where they exist, the wires are attached to the centre-of-street poles.

As much as I have a soft-spot for Toronto's ancient wooden box-and-poles, they, and rusting TTC metal poles, don't belong here.

This is exactly the area where a City Beautiful campaign should be having some effect: co-ordination of TTC track repairs, burial of wires, updating of underground services, upgrading of sidewalks when a major new tourist attraction is under construction (or being significantly upgraded).

I wish those town houses could be secured by the city or by the AGO for use strictly as cultural venues. Imagine this row of town houses oppositie the AGO with their own art from Toronto artists. It would compliment the AGO so well across the street.

No it hasn't. The general state of those buildings though is quite bad, with some worse than others of course, and I think Bau-xi is due for a major spruce-up itself.

I wish those town houses could be secured by the city or by the AGO for use strictly as cultural venues. Imagine this row of town houses oppositie the AGO with their own art from Toronto artists. It would compliment the AGO so well across the street.

If done well, that is a fantastic idea.

The one thing that I regret from Transformation AGO's "low" budget is that while Gehry is doing a fantastic job of conglomerating the Dundas façade, the mishmash, inconsistency and confusing layout remains. This is the most pressing issue of the AGO since they began piecemeal additions.

I'm looking forward to seeing the interior spaces and crossing my fingers real hard that we'll find more consistency in the new AGO inside ... and maybe, just maybe, a Phase 2 could glue the sides of the AGO into the new Gehry additions.

... and maybe, just maybe, a Phase 2 could glue the sides of the AGO into the new Gehry additions.
We've been through this before. Be careful with the E side, the part with the Henry Moore Gallery. It's Parkin's best part. It might be the most meaningful extant (i.e. pre-Gehry) AGO interior space, Walker Court not excepted...

Maybe what's needed is an underground LRT-style streetcar stop under Dundas Street connected to the AGO, with a street level pedestrian plaza. That way AGO would get a nice open entrance plaza without the unsightly streetcar wires, and visitors taking transit can enter the AGO without going outside.

The pedestrian plaza could even be extended into Chinatown, forming a pedestrian mall (or an Asian street market) with the streetcar running through it. Chinatown can really use some extra sidewalk space.

Who is going to pay for this underground LRT since TTC has no need for one?

It to bad that the AGO, The City and TTC did not get together when this project was first plan as it would help to get rid of those over head wires.

TTC could have move their support poles to the center of the road similar to St Clair ROW, but without the ROW. Hydro could have bury their wires and this would have enhance the street in front of the AGO.

Take a look at the wires east of McCaul St and that is a mess.

TTC could have put colour in the concrete to help this area also.

You could never make Dundas St a pedestrian plaza, as it a busy street in the first place. How are the AGO folks going to get there with Queen St and College St at a stand still as most of them come by car in the first place?

Sidewalk is an issue not only in Chinatown, but else where as they are too narrow. Try walking north on Bay St at PM peak time and try to find room.

Wait until 2012 when TTC will have new LRT's pasting this area.

Burying wires is a low point on hydro scale as they want every cent out of the poles and wires before they have to replace them.

Ask TTC why Fleet St is still not done since it was schedule for replacement in 2006 now schedule late September or 2008.

Then there is the mess on St Clair that was supposed to be done last year and only starting now to allow TTC to do their work in 2008 from Dufferin St to Vaughan Rd. As for rest of St Clair west of Caledonia Rd, maybe 2008 or 9 for hydro to the point TTC may have to do their work before this as the track work is 2 years behind now.

Nice try

Back