News   Jul 12, 2024
 874     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 783     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 327     0 

Transformation AGO (5s, Gehry) COMPLETE

The one thing that I regret from Transformation AGO's "low" budget is that while Gehry is doing a fantastic job of conglomerating the Dundas façade, the mishmash, inconsistency and confusing layout remains. This is the most pressing issue of the AGO since they began piecemeal additions.

I'm looking forward to seeing the interior spaces and crossing my fingers real hard that we'll find more consistency in the new AGO inside ... and maybe, just maybe, a Phase 2 could glue the sides of the AGO into the new Gehry additions.

Gehry is moving the front entrance to directly north of the Walker Court so that a far less confusing interior plan is the result - essentially the central spine will now be easily understood, and galleries will extend east and west from it. You should be pleased with the results MetroMan.

Thanks interchange. From what I've seen, the new AGO does indeed some more logical in its layout.

I've already purchased a membership to the ROM and if the new AGO impresses me enough, I'll do the same for it.

It looks as if the cladding that we thought initially was the final cladding might indeed be it. I saw it on the West end of the "box" and it looks like it has a blue tint and might be titanium.

The bad news is that it looks pretty banged up and cheap looking.

I didn't see any supports for any other cladding over it so I have to assume that this is it...

I noticed the same thing and am kind of dismayed that this may indeed be the actual cladding-however, I have been told by an architect I work with, that this may infact only be the insulation barrier, which is applied before the final cladding? I am not sure, but hope that he is correct in his theory.

p5

Mysteryman, you say that with conviction... and I'll take your word for it. Do you know if Gehry is going to apply the cladding as scales or as interlocking pieces?

If anything, I don't want to lose his distinctive titanium scales since we're not getting the organic curvy metallic façades on the rest of the building.

Gehry is Canadian by birth, and Canadian raised, but when you haven't lived in Canada for 30 years, you're a foreigner. As was mentioned, his practice isn't run from Canada. He doesn't even have an office here. He's a foreigner with a Canadian passport.

I don't disagree, but at the same time it's a little hard to deny the place he grew up had absolutely no effect on him.

He likely would've never become the architect he is today had he not moved to the US, but you can't discount his upbringing either.

I would love to see Gehry design a large sculpture like the fish in barcelona, to be added to Grange Park near the back entrance of the AGO.

Something like this? :)

facadex.jpg

Back