News   Jul 12, 2024
 825     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 746     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 315     0 

Transformation AGO (5s, Gehry) COMPLETE

Here's a one pic addition to AoD's update, taken from OCAD.

AGO.jpg

Hey SeanTrans is that you I can see with a camera in OCAD in that second pic? ;)

Nice pics.

AGO from OCAD...

DSCN2817.jpg

DSCN2818.jpg

...and another rebuttal to Now's silly article is here:

=============

Giving AGO the gears

I know that your paper has been following Toronto's notable new buildings and design competitions, and while I don't always agree with your point of view, you have generally tried to focus on architectural value.

Tom Fischer's article on the AGO addition construction, however, (NOW, May 10-16) was petty and ignorant. Does he really have nothing better to complain about than the inconveniently noisy construction? Frankly, I sympathize with the police constable who was "irritated" by Fischer's insistent complaints.

Isn't this the kind of NIMBY attitude that NOW is fond of mocking when it comes from suburbanites or condo dwellers?

Please cover the news rather than turning NOW into a forum for people to bitch about their neighbours.

Edward Houle
Toronto

That cladding process, while moving on, is progressing pretty slowly. I'm curious to see the building covered in that metallic sub-cladding.

I guess with all the time that's gone by since this began, the interior must have undergone a serious change. I wonder when we'll see the spiraling staircases emerge outside.

Metro:

Some steel pieces of the south spiral staircase appears to be on site already. (Didn't post the pic since it wasn't that great).

AoD

Is it just me, or am I really excited about the back, but not so much about the front?

Was thinking the same thing. I'm more intrigued by the back/south juxtaposed with the park. The much hyped northern facade along Dundas has overshadowed what might be a more interesting view from the other side.

Yeh I swung by there yesterday and saw some of the ribbing up for the facade. The added galleries are a lot bigger than I thought. I would have preferred something other than a block but when clad in titanium and the exposed staircase are installed it should still look pretty good. Along with OCAD this is going to be a very eyecatching arts complex, as it should be imho.

I think it would've bee nicer if the whole thing was transparent. The sculpture gallery will be obstructed from the street by the wood frame.

It became more open to view from the street, and was simplified with the removal of the titanium "visor", as the design evolved from the first renderings we all saw.

I think it would've bee nicer if the whole thing was transparent. The sculpture gallery will be obstructed from the street by the wood frame.

The wood frame seems pretty minimal, and also an eye-catching design attribute with the increasing curve from the centre. Besides, they need to be able to support all that glass...

Back