News   Jul 12, 2024
 826     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 747     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 317     0 

Transformation AGO (5s, Gehry) COMPLETE

The wood frame seems pretty minimal, and also an eye-catching design attribute with the increasing curve from the centre. Besides, they need to be able to support all that glass...

Unless the design has been modified, it doesn't look that minimal to me:

north-east.jpg

If you compare it to the original design, which had two levels of titanium, you'll see how much the space has been opened up by simplifying it.

Is that strip of flat roof in front of the visor overlooking Dundas going to be open to the public?

If you compare it to the original design, which had two levels of titanium, you'll see how much the space has been opened up by simplifying it.

Well, I think it's about the same...there's more you can see from the street but it's still heavily obstructed.

In any case, I wasn't comparing it to the original design...I was just saying the idea of seeing the sculpture gallery from the street is kind of ruined when it has a fairly elaborate network of wooden beams in front of it.

There's lots of glass - it's maybe 5% framework. The sculptures should show up fine from the street. Because of the angles, you'll probably only be able to see them from the sidewalk on the north side of Dundas anyway, and you won't be able to view any of the detail from outside. All you'll see from there are shapes pretty much - you'll know there are sculptures in there.

I think that's good enough. The AGO wants you to know they are there, and they want you to come inside to appreciate them up close. I'll be willing to bet that from the inside the expanse of framework will provide a pleasing geometric counterpoint to the individual art objects in the galleria. The real shame real will be the views from the galleria of the for-the-most-part decrepit buildings across Dundas.

The real shame real will be the views from the galleria of the for-the-most-part decrepit buildings across Dundas.

Oh I have a feeling those nice old Victorians won't be "decrepit" for too much longer.

Oh I have a feeling those nice old Victorians won't be "decrepit" for too much longer.

I have always been amazed (and embarrassed) at those houses (and the condition of the streetscape). The gallery has been there forever, yet those homes are in terrible shape. I am not sure that the newer facade is going to change much (but we can hope).

My biggest disappointment with the AGO re-design is that the sides are going untouched. I hate seeing the existing pre-cast on both ends of the Gallery.

I think Gehry would have needed a bit more money for that... he did what he could with the tight budget.

In case anyone was wondering- Gehry will not touch or even consider a project, unless there is a $1 Million check made out to him personally. Then come the other fees. He also makes the client pay for his models, some of which cost in upwards of a million themselves, and then stipulates in his contracts that he still owns them. Crazy, but everyone wants him and he has that kind of sway, so don't expect that because Gehry is from here, means that he will be doing us any favors- business is business.

It also annoys me to no end that people refer to him as a Canadian architect- he was not trained here nor did he do any work here until the AGO, nor does he have an office here- oh and he left this country 50 years ago- I think that makes him pretty American. He certainly wouldn't have become the architect he is today, had he stayed in Canada. Its just not possible given our attitudes and acceptance of architecture...Not all is lost, he likes hockey and plays weekly with other Canucks in LA..

p5

In case anyone was wondering- Gehry will not touch or even consider a project, unless there is a $1 Million check made out to him personally. Then come the other fees. He also makes the client pay for his models, some of which cost in upwards of a million themselves, and then stipulates in his contracts that he still owns them. Crazy, but everyone wants him and he has that kind of sway, so don't expect that because Gehry is from here, means that he will be doing us any favors- business is business.

It also annoys me to no end that people refer to him as a Canadian architect- he was not trained here nor did he do any work here until the AGO, nor does he have an office here- oh and he left this country 50 years ago- I think that makes him pretty American. He certainly wouldn't have become the architect he is today, had he stayed in Canada. Its just not possible given our attitudes and acceptance of architecture...Not all is lost, he likes hockey and plays weekly with other Canucks in LA..

p5

If he left when he was in his early childhood then I'd tend to agree...but he left when he turned 20. He grew up here. I think most people would agree that the experiences in your first 20 years of life have a significant impact on the person you develop into.

I do understand what you're saying though - I consider him an American architect, but I do also consider him a Canadian.

By the way, where did you get the info on Gehry's practices regarding payment, fees, etc.? Just industry knowledge?

Its just not possible given our attitudes and acceptance of architecture

Not to take this too far off topic but I don't think that statement is totally true. The majority of what is built in America is just as mediocre as what is built in Canada and the same attitudes towards architecture are just as prevelant (and in some cases there is even stronger anti-architecture and anti-design sentiment). The big difference is that America has a small minority of very, very wealthy people who will spend a great deal of money on buildings that truely express their oppulence, or in some cases, outright arrogance.

Some effort should be put into improving the streetfront as well. And please, new poles for the streetcar wires.

Gehry is Canadian by birth, and Canadian raised, but when you haven't lived in Canada for 30 years, you're a foreigner. As was mentioned, his practice isn't run from Canada. He doesn't even have an office here. He's a foreigner with a Canadian passport.

I believe Chretien restored his virgi ... Canadian citizenship once he ( Gehry ) became a high-fashion item. I remember when Knoll on King had a sale of his bentwood furniture a few years before Bilbao happened. I guess it wasn't selling - but I doubt if they'd do that now.

Some of those buildings on the north side of Dundas were rooming houses for students when I went to OCA(D) in the early '70's, and some were already galleries. Actually, I'm surprised they haven't been renovated more than they have.

Back