Toronto Yonge Sheppard Centre Renovations and Expansion | 123.13m | 35s | RioCan | BDP Quadrangle

Blutoothbetti and other baked potato fans:
A month ago, Riocan thought Potatopia would open by the end of Feb. but that didn't happen. I see that all the equipment has been installed and it looks like they could open this week if they wanted to. I finally tracked down the owner and got this response; " We are very close to opening, I would estimate less than three weeks away." That puts the opening well into Apr. Strange way of setting up a new business. Other food units have been open for about one year.

Pretzel places do well in large malls where people spend a lot of time to shop and hang out, seeing Pretzel as cheaper alternative to food court. Yonge-Sheppard Centre is small; most foot traffic generated by non-shoppers commuting between Subway Station & office or local condo apartments - there's no real draw for most folks to spend time here. Look at the foot traffic, the very few carrying shopping bags shopped at Dollarama & Winners - not exactly big spender types!

Things are not going well for some stores and food court units. Low foot traffic is hurting and some are operating at a loss or just breaking even hoping sales will increase when the mall is completed, big anchor tenants like Longo's and Cactus Club Cafe are open and the Pivot building will add a lot of people to the mix. The food court looks full at lunch but not everyone is buying. Some people are bringing their own lunch and sitting with friends.

Longos is really a double edge sword,... Longos could be a Trojan Horse!

As a realistically priced neighbourhood supermarket (not like overpriced Whole Foods Market) Longos will attract a lot more foot traffic into Yonge-Sheppard Centre. The problem is since retail market tanked, RioCan was forced to rent out proportionally more of its retail space to restaurants & food type businesses (mall still has 30% vacancy rate),... and now all these food places are fighting each other for lunch money! Of all supermarkets, Longos does very well with its ready-made food items - if most folks find it tasty & cheaper than what they can get at the food court or restaurants in mall - Longos will be taking a chunk of what's left of the mall other tenant's lunch & dinner business!

Just look at Loblaws at RioCan EmpressWalk - Loblaws draw lots of foot traffic into EmpressWalk, lots of EmpressWalk foot traffic is really commuter traffic from NorthYorkCentre subway station to surrounding condos,... EmpressWalk has lots of empty retail space slow to rent out or renovate into new store (Milestone former restaurant space still remains empty, former Staple 2nd floor space been undergoing stalled renovation to Asian noodle place? Sushi place closed down to renovate into another sushi place,...)

Look at the Loblaws at BayviewVillageMall,... shoppers go to one or the other,... very few interact between the two.

What A Bagel opened today on Sheppard frontage,...… free bag of bagel!

What A Bagel open today and were giving away free samples as well 3 free fresh bake bagel. Some people where taking more than the 3. Muuummm nice hot bagel.

Was talking to the owner and he was glad the day has arrived. He feel he will do great since he the only one in the area. You can buy other things that are made on site beside bagels and can sit down in a nice area to eat it.

The tower is at the 12th floor, but still pouring the 11 floor.

Sidewalk being built and pour on Sheppard.

Photos to follow.

Potbelly 's closing is no surprise. A retailer can only carry losses for a limited time hoping sales will pick up. Potbelly was dead the first week. Jimmy The Greek is for sale at $488,000. There are now 23 retail units empty and available. Not a good look.

The floor to ceiling glass walls only take 2-3 days to install an entire floor. They're now up to the 6th floor. Nice, modern look and the units will be well lit during the day. One scary job is the worker standing on the edge of the building applying sealant. He is tied off in a safety harness but it reminds me of the CN Tower "edge walk."

One scary job is the worker standing on the edge of the building applying sealant. He is tied off in a safety harness but it reminds me of the CN Tower "edge walk."
That thing is a walk in the park.

Glad to see the windows are waist-height-mullionless.

Here's a building going up somewhere Downtown, I couldn't possibly say which one (to protect the guilty), which is being ruined by the cheap-ass window wall treatment on it, which includes mullions at "waist height". They add unnecessary clutter to building exteriors, but yup, they're cheaper.

c6c2c62b-c87f-42fb-9e48-77e0f906eebc-jpeg.177905

Source: Rascacielo

Images from database,....

Original Condo tower with waist-height-mullion,…. looks like a plaid shirt!

New waist-height-mullionless Re-design,.... once RioCan decided they'll keep the tower for themselves to rent out,.... so far, RioCan staying true to renderings,.... without the waist-height mullions, more likely for birds to fly into towers,... but here there's lots of balconies,... VS all glass office tower

Jimmy The Greek is for sale at $488,000.

Seems expensive,... even though it's turn key brand name chain,.... with the Yonge-Sheppard Centre model, the buyer is still paying rent to RioCan. At EmeraldPark, you could buy one of those PacificMall type cubical units in the back (Yonge frontage are over 1 million each) and actually own the property.

As for the Edge Walk guy,.... I just hope he's not one of the construction workers I always see going into the local weed shops,....

A 886 sq. ft. unit was just leased near Dollarama and Tim Horton's called Real Fruit Bubble Tea and Sushi Q's 244 sq. ft. kiosk near the TD bank is about to open.

Back