Toronto Union Pearson Express | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | MMM Group Limited

Which fare structure change? The one next March?
I was not paying close attention. I thought it started right away. The lower fares to Pearson from union and the fares from Weston/Bloor to Union on UPX. What other possible fare structure could I be talking about with the UPX? But ya now I know they start in March 2016. By you saying next March it implies 2017. You should have stated " this March" or just "March"

Last edited:
If there's enough room in the Kitchener corridor for 15 minute UPX service, and 15 minute GO RER service, and 15 minute peak bi-directional express GO service plus whatever VIA is running in terms of intercity high(er) speed(?) service in 10 years, then sure; Keep the existing UPX service pattern as-is. Otherwise, transfers are a good way to provide more service to connect T1 to the Kitchener Line without overwhelming the Kitchener Line itself.

That was exactly my point upthread about creating a Pearson-Etobicoke North shuttle. But yes I can't see why a new station is needed as opposed to a new UPX platform. An added advantage is that you could extend high platforms at in-city stations for RER type service, without worrying about rebuilding the Pearson terminal.

That was exactly my point upthread about creating a Pearson-Etobicoke North shuttle. But yes I can't see why a new station is needed as opposed to a new UPX platform. An added advantage is that you could extend high platforms at in-city stations for RER type service, without worrying about rebuilding the Pearson terminal.

A shorter distance means faster run times. Highway 27 also makes a better connection point for express bus services. The station infrastructure at Etobicoke North is minimal and would need to be completely rebuilt when the rail corridor is expanded to 4 tracks from 3 for all-day 2-way GO. The current platform is wedged between a rail spur and the north side of the active corridor. Adjacent bridge structures would make expansion of the rail corridor and construction of additional platforms difficult if the station is kept in place.

Last edited:
It's not like ATU 113 is all that trustworthy. Illegal strikes? Check. Blaming riders for breaking their 24-hour notice before calling a strike in 2008? Check.

Kettle, meet pot.
it's a bit of a bizarre beef as well....the head of a union is suggesting that multiple transit projects may be going ahead based on faulty ridership projections? Isn't that good for the union members he represents? Does it not create more transit jobs?

I happen to agree with his point....I think a lot of the projects are based on inflated and faulty projections of ridership.....but for him to be "mad" about this seems strange (IMO).

Bob Kinnear is worried that Metrolinx will take over TTC projects, possibly and impose private sector operations, and has had it in for a long time for the provincial agency. The union's clout is a major reason why the Eglinton-Crosstown LRT, even though it's being built by Metrolinx, will be operated by the TTC.

Bob Kinnear is worried that Metrolinx will take over TTC projects, possibly and impose private sector operations, and has had it in for a long time for the provincial agency. The union's clout is a major reason why the Eglinton-Crosstown LRT, even though it's being built by Metrolinx, will be operated by the TTC.

I'd support Metrolinx seeking private sector operating Eglinton Crosstown.

and that is (if I was one of his members) what I would expect him to focus on.....getting the projects operated by the org they work for....not bringing into question the ridership projections that get the projects built and, therefore, the new jobs they can generate.

Whether you agree with him or not, Kinnear is a pretty strategic guy. This may not be random blowing off steam - if he is taking on ML, there's a reason, and likely further opportunity (ie other skeletons in the closet).

- Paul

Though the fares haven't changed yet the last 2 days they have been handing out a free pass to riders. So it's basically a two-fer.
Are they still handing out free buy-one/get-one passes? I'm kind of annoyed that my next trip is happening right after the fare changes.

Edit: meant after, wrote before

Last edited:
Etobicoke North could and probably should be moved to somewhere between hwy 27 and 427 as it would streamline bus connections (bolton bus for ex right now splits connections at malton and etobicoke N where a relocated etobicoke N would make more sense), and allow for a more convenient location for commuters travelling south on 427/27 and the opportunity for expanded parking facilites for said commuters.

However this has little to do with a connection to the airport.

Are they still handing out free buy-one/get-one passes? I'm kind of annoyed that my next trip is happening right before the fare changes.

Heh, my next trip is happening after the fares change! The Mrs is now advocating we take UPX whereas before she argued it didn't make sense for the money.

Thats strange as Metrolinx is a gov't agency with employees getting the normal gov't type pension. Seems strange they would impose private sector operations

Back