Toronto Union Pearson Express | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | MMM Group Limited

Bob Kinnear is worried that Metrolinx will take over TTC projects, possibly and impose private sector operations, and has had it in for a long time for the provincial agency. The union's clout is a major reason why the Eglinton-Crosstown LRT, even though it's being built by Metrolinx, will be operated by the TTC.
I prefer TTC running it rather than any private operattor

Whether you agree with him or not, Kinnear is a pretty strategic guy. This may not be random blowing off steam - if he is taking on ML, there's a reason, and likely further opportunity (ie other skeletons in the closet).

- Paul
whose, the TTC or Metrolinx

Thats strange as Metrolinx is a gov't agency with employees getting the normal gov't type pension. Seems strange they would impose private sector operations
Contractors for Metrolinx don't give their workers government-type pensions. That's not how a PPP works.

I prefer TTC running it rather than any private operattor
Why? Bombardier seems to do a better job running the GO Transit trains than TTC does.

The Hurontario LRT will be privately operated. That's in the DBFOM.

Maybe that's why Kinnear is worried? (Too bad.)

whose, the TTC or Metrolinx

I was thinking of ML. Kinnear can't make a scandal out of ML from one press release about UP. If we hear the call for an enquiry again, he must expect other things to be there to make a meal of.

Contracting out the Hurontario LRT is interesting. It won't take long for someone to organize it. Being the guy who is fighting the good fight against ML would enhance his union as the right choice for that. A contractor would have a hard time discouraging a union drive by the TTC union.

- Paul

Learnt that the corporate sponsors no longer can get 50% off the non-presto fare, instead they get the presto fare of $9.

Contractors for Metrolinx don't give their workers government-type pensions. That's not how a PPP works.

I understand. Thats not what I was trying to say. Their employees have a DB plan - thats what i meant - its OMERS

Kinnear is bitter that Bombardier staff will be maintaining the TTC-operated Eglinton Flexity vehicles and not his union.
Boy with all the work Bombardair gets and all the money from gov't (as its a "Canadian" company and they know they will always be bailed out), yet they continually lay off staff. I do not know how they stay in business.

That's my feeling. Remember those ads in the subway a year or two ago opposing private LRT operation? It showed a LRT car with red livery fading to green.

I had to take a picture of those ads at the time because they were so lame.

14251287342_232eefd164_h.jpg

14066810338_fac3e54ec2_h.jpg

Perhaps this can be loosely tied in with Kinnear's comment, but for fun I painted the TTC's Flexity Outlook livery onto the UPX rolling stock. I already had the template made so it only took a few seconds.

I've made a few others with variations of red, white, or dark grey, and I think they all look pretty good. Dominant red seems to always look sharp. So if the Prov ever were to rebrand UPX, I don't think it'd be a hard decision for them to drop its current two-tone sludgy greens w/ orange stripe livery.

UPX_Nippon-Sharyo-DMU_TTC-colours_44N.png

Attachments

• UPX_Nippon-Sharyo-DMU_TTC-colours_44N.png
    UPX_Nippon-Sharyo-DMU_TTC-colours_44N.png
    48.5 KB · Views: 1,031

Back