Toronto Union Pearson Express | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | MMM Group Limited

pretty sure if you were on the way to the airport you want the least amount of transfers as possible.

Mostly true. However, Newark has a peoplemover that brings you to the NJT, which takes you into Manhattan in no time flat. It's my favourite way to get into New York City. The inconvenience is minor. So it can be done. Extending Link to Malton to connect with GO and VIA would benefit a great many people.

Rather than trying to redesign UP into anything, ML needs to get focussed on expediting full RER on this line, to Brampton at least. Nice little three car EMU's to Pearson is fine. When we get RER built, no one will care which they ride. By that point, UP might even have grown its ridership as we want it to, and the market might even bear notching the UP fare up a little. This was a botched implementation, but the underlying design might work out over the longer term if we set some things right.

- Paul

Actually I have used that and now that you say it, it wasnt painful. I would still prefer this corridor somehow to be DRL west as I dont see it getting much attention and this looks like a very cost effective solution.

One thing that occurs to me is that now UPX is approaching commuter prices, there is a case to possibly accelerate the Eglinton Crosstown UPX platform before the new line opens.

For TTC customers who get a 32 bus to Eglinton West, station construction is going to make that commute pretty painful. UPX crosses Eglinton 4 km west of the Allen, so maybe if it was possible to disembark there and catch a 32, some people would pay a premium to do so as opposed to jouncing 4km on a bus through heavy traffic?

Incidentally, a conversation on twitter involving Brad Ross indicates that TTC do not consider UPX a GO service ("because Presto") and therefore TTC Times Two does not apply.
https://twitter.com/bradTTC/status/702567953875783680

Mostly true. However, Newark has a peoplemover that brings you to the NJT, which takes you into Manhattan in no time flat. It's my favourite way to get into New York City. The inconvenience is minor. So it can be done. Extending Link to Malton to connect with GO and VIA would benefit a great many people.

Rather than trying to redesign UP into anything, ML needs to get focussed on expediting full RER on this line, to Brampton at least. Nice little three car EMU's to Pearson is fine. When we get RER built, no one will care which they ride. By that point, UP might even have grown its ridership as we want it to, and the market might even bear notching the UP fare up a little. This was a botched implementation, but the underlying design might work out over the longer term if we set some things right.

- Paul

Rather than extend the people mover to Malton, would it not be better to build a new "Etobicoke North" GO station at Highway 27? Convert UPX to an actual express service between Pearson and Union with one station at Highway 27, and have GO RER pick up the local trips. More frequent (free, subsudized by GTAA) shuttles could connect Pearson to Highway 27 along the UPX spur in order to connect with local service coming from both East and West. It would be less expensive to make use of the existing infrastructure than to build more.

How about just let the system run as it is instead of forcing passengers to transfer between Union and Pearson? The current infrastructure works as it is for those wanting a direct service from any of the 3 stations to Pearson Terminal 1. As feasible as the Newark people mover may be, personally it'd make me think twice about taking UPX if I had to make an additional transfer before I can reach the terminal building, however expedient that may be. The beauty of the current UPX is that for those working or living around the 3 stations, UPX guarantees high predictability from the moment you walk out your office or apartment to the moment you walk into Terminal 1 with no fuss in between. For anyone working in the Financial District, it's guaranteed 5-10 min walk from your office building to the Union platform regardless of weather, traffic, track, or train schedule conditions.

How about just let the system run as it is instead of forcing passengers to transfer between Union and Pearson? The current infrastructure works as it is for those wanting a direct service from any of the 3 stations to Pearson Terminal 1. As feasible as the Newark people mover may be, personally it'd make me think twice about taking UPX if I had to make an additional transfer before I can reach the terminal building, however expedient that may be. The beauty of the current UPX is that for those working or living around the 3 stations, UPX guarantees high predictability from the moment you walk out your office or apartment to the moment you walk into Terminal 1 with no fuss in between. For anyone working in the Financial District, it's guaranteed 5-10 min walk from your office building to the Union platform regardless of weather, traffic, track, or train schedule conditions.

Because the service as it stands drives Toronto commuters nuts, it seems. They did not want a train to and from the airport, and are trying desperately to make a train to the airport into something else.

Hindsight is 20-20, but caving on the Weston stop was probably the slippery slope moment.

Hopefully the cheaper fares will boost demand. I had thought during my January trips that it looked busier, but I guess not.

How about just let the system run as it is instead of forcing passengers to transfer between Union and Pearson?

If there's enough room in the Kitchener corridor for 15 minute UPX service, and 15 minute GO RER service, and 15 minute peak bi-directional express GO service plus whatever VIA is running in terms of intercity high(er) speed(?) service in 10 years, then sure; Keep the existing UPX service pattern as-is. Otherwise, transfers are a good way to provide more service to connect T1 to the Kitchener Line without overwhelming the Kitchener Line itself.

Rather than extend the people mover to Malton, would it not be better to build a new "Etobicoke North" GO station at Highway 27? Convert UPX to an actual express service between Pearson and Union with one station at Highway 27, and have GO RER pick up the local trips. More frequent (free, subsudized by GTAA) shuttles could connect Pearson to Highway 27 along the UPX spur in order to connect with local service coming from both East and West. It would be less expensive to make use of the existing infrastructure than to build more.
Confused....a post that ends with the bolded words proposes to build a new station as opposed to using one that already exists within easy reach of the airport.

Link points northeast at its terminus, whereas Malton is northwest. Maybe let's start with a bus from Malton station vs several hundred metres down the street.

Since the fare structure change, is anyone aware if ridership has increased? I guess you would either be using UPX or know someone who has used it to know whether there has been an increase.

Since the fare structure change, is anyone aware if ridership has increased? I guess you would either be using UPX or know someone who has used it to know whether there has been an increase.
Which fare structure change? The one next March?

Back