Toronto Union Pearson Express | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | MMM Group Limited

Except a GO Train won't fit on the Pearson platforms for being too long.
how much would it cost to make a GO Train fit at Pearson? 200 million, 300 million, 400 million, 500 million? Considering how cheap this project was you would think one expensive station which makes the system work better would not be met with such dismissal.

Nice exterior design. I think having a dedicated entrance like this would really make way-finding a lot easier and create visibility for the service. But I guess the eventual goal is to convert UPX to GO RER so no need to further distinguish it from the rest of GO system.

Yes, it seems like they still don't get it. They've got to start managing a commuter service now. As a dedicated airport-only train, UP is OVER.

how much would it cost to make a GO Train fit at Pearson? 200 million, 300 million, 400 million, 500 million? Considering how cheap this project was you would think one expensive station which makes the system work better would not be met with such dismissal.
At Pearson? My gosh ... the station alone would be half-a-billion minimum I'd think. You'd have to alter the approach, to allow for a longer station. And also move the Airport Link train, as it would foul with extended platform (the original Link train was designed for day 1 to fit with the current platform). On the bright side, the back end of the platform would be so far away from T1, that it would actually be closer to T3 - so perhaps a walkway to there could be added.

I wouldn't be surprised if a $billion is spent before it's over.

At Pearson? My gosh ... the station alone would be half-a-billion minimum I'd think. You'd have to alter the approach, to allow for a longer station. And also move the Airport Link train, as it would foul with extended platform (the original Link train was designed for day 1 to fit with the current platform). On the bright side, the back end of the platform would be so far away from T1, that it would actually be closer to T3 - so perhaps a walkway to there could be added.

I wouldn't be surprised if a $billion is spent before it's over.

I think the easiest way, and probably the only way to make a GO Train fit at Pearson would be to add platforms along the spur where it passes by the end of the Link train at Viscount Rd, and build a walkway to the Link train station.

I think the easiest way, and probably the only way to make a GO Train fit at Pearson would be to add platforms along the spur where it passes by the end of the Link train at Viscount Rd, and build a walkway to the Link train station.
If you are not going to the main terminal with the train....then why not just amend/extend the link to Malton?

True...but we already have an indication of GO demand at these stations and it is not that high. It is not like we are introducing new stations and wondering if people will use them.....these stations exist, have had service for decades and they are not that well used.
because of the fare. I never thought about the fact one would need to pay TTC and then again the UPX fare to board to get to Union. I don't know why it totally sliped my mind. Guess it only helps those getting dropped off at those stations or within walking distance

They've got to start managing a commuter service now. As a dedicated airport-only train, UP is OVER.

I agree, they need to stick their head out of the sand and realize that the boutique branding from the start has been a disaster.

"GO Train to Airport" is much more appropriate, especially given yesterday's fare fix.

I agree, they need to stick their head out of the sand and realize that the boutique branding from the start has been a disaster.

"GO Train to Airport" is much more appropriate, especially given yesterday's fare fix.
Yes and no....they did not (as far as I can see) integrate the fares into GO they just mimicked (and caused a reduction in) GO fares. It still looks like UP is operating in isolation. So someone in Weston going to, say, the Ex...will pay a GO-like fare on Presto and another GO fare to the Ex. Someone in KW going to the airport will pay a GO fare to Weston and another GO-like fare to Pearson.

So it is not not GO Train to the Airport.

The easiest way to make a GO Train fit at Pearson is to paint the UPX green, and integrate the fares with GO.
Pearson having a 3-car platform is not a problem. If there are worries about overcrowding, then more service needs to be put on the mainline stations (Weston, Bloor, Union) but not all those trains need to go to Pearson.

My understanding is most of the spur is not designed to hold the weight of more than a 3-car train AND those curves seem pretty damn tight for a normal GO train (it may or may not make it). Rebuilding with a different profile (longer curves, stronger, much longer station, twin tracks for the spur?) might be above the highest value you list. That $450M was nearly 10 years ago and mostly federal money; prices will have increased since then and the feds probably won't kick in for a redo.

The HSR EA (starting in fall 2016?) will probably propose a transit terminal over the current Kitchener corridor with a people mover connection to the airport. An automated 3-car EMU to T1 with ~6 minute frequencies might use existing infrastructure and have sufficient capacity to do the job.

Yes, it seems like they still don't get it. They've got to start managing a commuter service now. As a dedicated airport-only train, UP is OVER.

This is still basically a dedicated airport train, with lower fares. While I will use it as a commuter train, there are only so many downtown-bound commuters that walk to the Dundas West subway station. It will still have limited use as a commuter train until there is a direct connection at Dundas West/Bloor (apparently 5 years away) and fare coordination. Even then, the hassle of transferring will probably only make sense for people who work very close to Union unless subway overcrowding gets a lot worse from the west end.

Why extend the Link now that we have the spur? Once RER/ST is functional in the corridor, why not just run the existing UP trains between Malton and Pearson? Folks heading from downtown to Pearson and vice versa just walk across the platform at Malton, easy peasy.

Why extend the Link now that we have the spur? Once RER/ST is functional in the corridor, why not just run the existing UP trains between Malton and Pearson? Folks heading from downtown to Pearson and vice versa just walk across the platform at Malton, easy peasy.
As far as I know, there is no way to get a train from Malton onto the spur and no way to get a train off the spur to Malton.

Back