Toronto Time and Space Condos | 101.8m | 29s | Pemberton | Wallman Architects

Manhattan's density is cleverly distributed. I think you would be hard pressed to find anything as obvious as the developers intentions to break even over fitting into the neighborhood context.

There is now a sign in the ex-Sobey window promising the opening of a clearance centre. Another neighbourhood improvement!

The Closeout King!!

v6TvLtC.jpg

Which, interestingly enough, the first iteration of this seemed to propose, at the north and south ends least...

urbantoronto-5685-17938.jpeg

Attachments

• urbantoronto-5685-17938.jpeg
    urbantoronto-5685-17938.jpeg
    107.4 KB · Views: 954
It's incredibly short sighted and somewhat first-world to consider KWC only as an abject failure (which I'm implying - perhaps mistakenly - is what you're doing). It's also a straw man to suggest that such an edifice could happen here, or even in present-day HK for that matter...

It's incredibly short sighted and somewhat first-world to consider KWC only as an abject failure (which I'm implying - perhaps mistakenly - is what you're doing). It's also a straw man to suggest that such an edifice could happen here, or even in present-day HK for that matter...

Yes and no - it's an interesting artifact of urbanity, but also a hellhole of sorts (take it from me - I lived fairly close to this object about 5 years prior to its' demolition, and the locals around it were all rather pleased to see it go). While I understand your sentiment (and I share it to a great extent) it is definitely rather "first world" to get all romantic about it.

Not suggesting that something as highly planned by a single developer would translate into something this organic, of course. Just an exaggerated commentary/joke on the cramming in this proposal and well, the lack of grace it exhibited.

AoD

Last edited:
I'd consider Kowloon Walled City to be far more successful an agglomeration than the Front St proposal under discussion.

I'd consider Kowloon Walled City to be far more successful an agglomeration than the Front St proposal under discussion.

Yeah, as mentioned it was grown rather organically and relatively free of planning restraint, but it's really not an urban experiment one should intentionally replicate.

AoD

Back